When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back from the Spa and Pandalicious

Watchmeister

Just got back a pair from the Great North. Sent off a pair to Ziggy with significant movement issues and the final aesthetic mods on one. Of course, they both came back from Ziggy keeping COSC quality time. Thought I would share some quick pics this morning.

The matched set:

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

The Work of Art:

The Newman Panda which is the legendary prototype to the original Daylights has been one of my labour's of love over a period of years. Although this one has a better date wheel and new crown and tube, the real artistry is in the dial. The standard dial comes with shiny (and obviously wrong) subdials and an incorrect glossy overall finish. Ziggy worked his magic and relumed and refinished the dial and it makes a huge difference. Although my pics don't do it justice the dial is drastically improved and it now looks IMHO as good as any ever will - unless of course someone produces an original protoype. :lol:

DSC_0218.jpg

Here is the gen for comparison:

daylight_white_promo.jpg

The obligatory wristshots:

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

Beautiful specimens! I know these have been ongoing projects; it's nice to see them at this stage of completion!

Of course, Zig's work is nothing less than perfection... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm trying to figure out which I like more out of the pair. Tough to do since they are both very unique in their own right. The black/grey is a very nice and well balanced dial layout, however I really like the white dial's bi-compax colored subdials.

Which one are you wearing today?

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, the original pic from Paneristi of the proto does show a standard ETA date wheel. The pic of the other proto daylight with black dial and silver subs has the appropriate Panerai font on the date. Who knows. :lol: I kept the standard ETA date wheel just in case I do ever see a real one and can confirm which one is correct.

Come on where did you get the 162 dial? is that a GEN?

looks great

ST4

You are right that there is no 162 rep other than the one that comes with a blue dial. I happened to have Rob servicing the 162 (and fixing a completely askew bezel) at the same time he got parts we needed for the Panda rep so I got them both back at the same time. I thought it was a nice pictoral juxtaposition in any case. It was actually very interesting to hear his comments as he was rebuilding one movement at the same time he was servicing the other. It turns out that the PAM 7753 movements have substantially more reworking than the hand winds. I am hoping that he will post up an article on this at some point in the future when he has some time. I know he is very busy at the moment. It will make all those with gens feel better. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome K....thanks for sharing...if you ever feel the need to make your bank account fatter...let me know the score on that 162! I'm lusting on that watch big time.

And kudos to Rob for his outstanding work.