When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moon watch plexy crystal mod V2

FxrAndy

After V1, just fitting a plexy to V1.5 fitting a bigger one let us call this V2. even thought i thing i got to V3 in my first try here

Problem:- gen moony has a pressed in plexy that has a mat black tension ring sat on the dial giving a tiny rehaute, Pug could you please try and find a photo that will show this as you have the gen and are the photo teach

rep has a fxxxxing huge rehaute that is shiny.

Photo0054.jpg

Solution

Paint the rehaute mat black,

How it goes, last night was try one, not very good at painting, forget try one.

Tonight try two, got home from work 4 hours late, clean off last night attempt, re paint rehaute re glue in crystal re build watch, that simple.

DSCF0189.jpg

DSCF0190.jpg

low light

DSCF0192.jpg

Faults

glue is glossy and shows up (this is correct sternkreuz crystal glue) solution, get a 342 that i will be able to press in and avoid the glue, On order now.

Still got a Fxxxing huge rehaute, but it is not as noticeable.

Paint not quite right needs to be less mat and more satin, (my daughter as only so may shades of mat black in the paint box) looking for better paint.

Still got the wrong subdials, ah well never mind!

Coments thoughts????

Problem:- gen moony has a pressed in plexy that has a mat black tension ring sat on the dial giving a tiny rehaute, Pug could you please try and find a photo that will show this as you have the gen and are the photo teach

I'll set up the camera tonight for you.

Today is the first day that I'm not wearing my Moonie, so I can't just look at it.

Ok a couple of new photos

First one from Lani to use for comparison

omegamoonwatch003.jpg

Now one from mine

DSCF0201-crop.jpg

I know the rehaute is still way to big and thwe dila too recessed but it is going a long way to diguising it by just simply painting it matt black

One more just for fun

DSCF0203.jpg

Sorry to [censored] on your chips Pug but it IS going to happen with the new movt. It just won't be cheap.

Coo. Will they make a hand-wind, closed-caseback Lemania-spaced version or are you talking about a Speedmaster Date?

I'll get new chips, there are plenty of chippies round here.

Coo. Will they make a hand-wind, closed-caseback Lemania-spaced version or are you talking about a Speedmaster Date?

I'll get new chips, there are plenty of chippies round here.

New movt, so yes alongside the promised Double Eagle, the first Speedy off the line will probably be the new Date with sapphire. But I find it hard to believe they'll not pull an acrylic Moonie using the same movt just sans DW and possibly autowind mechs. It's definitely under serious consideration last I heard, the only problem being the movt is a very restricted supply and thus expensive at the moment.

Lots of chippies eh? Just go easy on those infamous deep-fried Mars bars ;)

which crystals dont have to be glued in? and how different is the height between the ones that do and dont (have to be glued in) which I assume was the reason for settling for the 342 and gluing it

One of the problems with not glueing the crystal in is that the seat is not flat on the sides, it is ridged for the saphire retaining ring, so a larger crystal may be difficult to sit flat. Also the bezel insert only just fits over this 342.

With the height i started off with a high dome but the dial is to far away from the crystal even with the low dome. I dont know if any of the shots show a good profile shot but i would say it as good as we can get with out major case modes like thinning the rehaute, rasing the crown and pusher positionsand thining the bezel.

If i was going to go to those lenths then i may as well make a new case

The first try was acrilic paint and a brush, then i tried to get it flatter by applying it using sharpend pegwood as a palet, in the end i went to the car shop and got a can of matt black spray paint mmasked up the case and sprayed it, a small air brush would be better still i assume

here is a profile shot, if some one can provide a similare shot of a gen we can see the difference

Photo0051.jpg

The gen does not have a rehaute per se but a tention ring inside the crystal that touches the dial

I have a gen crystal and ring here that i used to try to match the colour with

here is a profile shot, if some one can provide a similare shot of a gen we can see the difference

Photo0051.jpg

The gen does not have a rehaute per se but a tention ring inside the crystal that touches the dial

I have a gen crystal and ring here that i used to try to match the colour with

Try this. It's the gen. Remember the gen is sapphire.

crystal.jpg