When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watcheden's Speedmaster Moon

condemore

Honestly Pug, we're all pleased to see you pick up a gen on the cheap and will happily humour you waxing lyrical about it endlessly :whistling: but it's a bit cringeworthy to be acting all holier than thou purist when a newish member posts a very nice budget Speedy rep with great photos. Maybe you could do with taking a leaf out of Lani's book of humility ;)

I take no offence. I know it to be an honest suggestion...and one I've looked at off and on for awhile.

Let the man wax lyrical...I would...we're all watch lovers here.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm of the same opinion as dbr, and as such I've just bought one.........and a nice strap from carl at gasgasbones to go with it :D

Yes, it's quartz, and yes the crystal isn't quite there, but for the price and the look, it'll be a very good daily beater/gym/mtb watch for me.

Big thanks to condemore for bringing this to my attention :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i agree with many of you on the quartz aspect - said best in Toad's first response...

many of us buy watches for looks/quality/value...we buy reps because they have great designs...some members want replimanical perfection...others just want a great looking watch...and in some cases, the quartz versions fit that bill...

i have quite a few quartz watches in my collection...many have the same casings/features as their more expensive cousins with auto movements...

but seriously for "value" you can't beat some of them...

thanks for the terrific pictures - great photography - and thanks for the tip on a great looking watch...R

(another quartz watch tip: for those amongst us reading this, one of my latest fun/value watches are the AP ROO's - all white and all black dials...and they are quartz...Reg has them on a nice quality rubber strap for a similar price as this one...and they can also be had on that gorgeous ss bracelet, too...i posted a thread in the AP forum about them...)

So anyone knows where I could find a video of quartz chronometer at work ? Is the seconds hand and the chrono han ticking or sweeping ?

I would say ticking for running seconds dial...the large chrono hand might sweep at 18000 bph depending on which type of quartz movement has been used.

...the large chrono hand might sweep at 18000 bph depending on which type of quartz movement has been used.

Are there really quartz reps with sweeping dial? I thought there was a power leaking problem with these movements? Anybody knows?

Val.

P.S. I love those pix, btw. Made me want one, but I can't buy it since each day I preach to my poor girlfriend that quartz watches aren't watches really. :bangin:

Honestly Pug, we're all pleased to see you pick up a gen on the cheap and will happily humour you waxing lyrical about it endlessly :whistling: but it's a bit cringeworthy to be acting all holier than thou purist when a newish member posts a very nice budget Speedy rep with great photos. Maybe you could do with taking a leaf out of Lani's book of humility ;)

I've been consistent with my opinion of quartz reps since day one. I doubt I'll change.

The photos, however, are superb. That's not in question here. And the watch does look good.

I've been consistent with my opinion of quartz reps since day one. I doubt I'll change.

Fair enough, but my comment was aimed more at your (very recently acquired) opinion of "nothing beats a/my gen" in this case, even suggesting the woeful Reduced auto model in preference to the classic old Venus-powered rep, which at one time you loved. An auto on a Speedy is equally heretical in my opinion, and that's not to even mention that the gen auto c.3313 is a complete POS.

Thing is I don't disagree about the classic gen 'Moon' Speedy Pro, except I'd have been a little less, well... superior, in my comments about this rep quartz that's all. Never mind the photos, its a lovely-looking watch at a fantastic price, so it's not difficult to be gracious about it.

Thing is I don't disagree about the classic gen 'Moon' Speedy Pro, except I'd have been a little less, well... superior, in my comments about this rep quartz that's all. Never mind the photos, its a lovely-looking watch at a fantastic price, so it's not difficult to be gracious about it.

I doubt my comments would have been any different if I had not got my gen Moonie.

I think on this one you've completely misread me.

ps. I still rate the ST19-powered reps. I'm just not a fan of the quartz or the faux chrono ones. Never have been.

I doubt my comments would have been any different if I had not got my gen Moonie.

ps. I still rate the ST19-powered reps. I'm just not a fan of the quartz or the faux chrono ones. Never have been.

On reflection, I think that's very possible, in which case I apologise for my comments :)

Normally I'm not a fan of those attributes either, but as a 'beater', this has great potential - as long as the running (ok, "ticking") secs are on a subdial. Still uncomfirmed as yet.

Is very possible on reflection, in which case I apologise :)

Very gracious of you, but I certainly don't think it warrants it. :)

Normally I'm not a fan of those attributes either, but as a 'beater', this has great potential.

Everyone needs a quartz watch to set the mechanicals to, and this is a great feeder into the Speedy addiction. But I think anyone buying this one will eventually get an ST19 version, so why not cut out the intermediary and go straight for the handwind? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This reminds me. I need a quartz watch. Damn.

I concur. As a fan of 'Pugwash' 's acumen, of being both the object and casual observer thereof, his remarks here are benign. There is usually no 'having to read into' to find the disdain. One tell is; the passage will usually end in a simple term, one word sentence;

"Fail."

:lol:

Nice watch 'condemore'. Love the dial.

Soon, there will be a PO V5 grade Speedmaster line. It's the next big thing. You read it here first.

<edit>

so why not cut out the intermediary and go straight for the handwind?

To get the solid caseback? Which I have to say is not bad here, the font a little too thick but, whatever. I wonder if this caseback would fit the Seagull versions. If it does, then why on God's green don't they stop issuing Moonies with see through casebacks? I HATE THAT! Almost as much as Moonies with sapphire glass. I HATE THAT!

Soon, there will be a PO V5 grade Speedmaster line. It's the next big thing. You read it here first.

hum… I start to doubt that even if I wish this would happen. It has already been 4 or 5 months since Josh annonced it… with a "don't ask me when it will be released as I don't know…" Maybe wait another year and maybe something might come up…

condemore I just realize with your signature that you are the reason why I am wearing an IWC 7 days on my wirst right now ;) and the reason I'll may wear a quartz moonwatch soon…

My bank account hates you !!!

Edited by docdoc

They said july to me, this is just a delay.

I'm pretty sure that the speedy with the modified 7750 (already on the last PO chrono) will come up soon.

And that one will be a killer.

I hope so but regarding the last released of speedmaster I don't hope that much for the near future (I really hope I am wrong).

3919820269_f65bf0e766_o.jpg

Got my moonie today and its just like the pics. I'm impressed with watch except two things. The flip lock band does not stay locked (on either end) and there's a small gap where the band and the base of the watch meet and the 2nd thing its a quartz. Overall though for $88 USD its one heck of a watch. Other than the quartz movement this watch rocks. Does anyone know if I can slam an automatic movement in this thing (i'm so use to the glide of the hands)? However For $88 bucks it was worth the try and I'm really not disappointe. My wife wants me to get one for her father. Thanks Watcheden for a quality product. Shipped to my house via airmail in 10 days. I'll post pics later.

Got my moonie today and its just like the pics. I'm impressed with watch except two things. The flip lock band does not stay locked (on either end) and there's a small gap where the band and the base of the watch meet and the 2nd thing its a quartz. Overall though for $88 USD its one heck of a watch. Other than the quartz movement this watch rocks. Does anyone know if I can slam an automatic movement in this thing (i'm so use to the glide of the hands)? However For $88 bucks it was worth the try and I'm really not disappointe. My wife wants me to get one for her father. Thanks Watcheden for a quality product. Shipped to my house via airmail in 10 days. I'll post pics later.

Can someone who's bought one of these, for the love of god, please confirm where the running (ok, 'ticking') secs is located :bangin:

TIA