When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Future Movements In Tudor Products

twon1212

Longtime member, first posting on a topic. I am building a franken tudor, and have been searching for a gen tudor movement. I've been visiting various rolex forums, and recently read that Rolex has been purchasing/stocking up on various Sellita models to fill future Tudor product lines. I am wondering if anyone else has read/researched this topic? Or, have used one of the company movements in a watch? I am strongly considering purchasing the SW200 (Same as ETA 2824-2)for my project. Any feedback would be helpful.

tony

The standard movements for the Tudor line over the last 40 years have been ETA movements.

Starting in 1968 Rolex started using the ETA 2461 and then the Rolex modified special calibre ETA 2483 in the non-date watches. Date watches that appeared in early 1970's used the ETA 2484.

Starting in the mid 70's they switched to the ETA 27XX calibre. Then in the 80's moved on to the 28XX series. That is what they have been using since the 80's. So, if you're building an 80's and beyond, a standard ETA 2824-2 will suffice for a franken if you can't find an original Tudor movment. Same goes for the other ones. The 2483, 2484, 2776, and the 2784 movements can be difficult to find. The 2483 and 2484 as these IIRC special calibres used by Tudor. The 2776 and 2784 as they were high beat versions of other 27XX calibres.

As for them buying Selllita, it wouldn't surprise me as Tudor is a direct competitor to the Swatch Group who owns ETA. One of the reasons Sellita has popped up as a competitive movement manufacture was due to Swatch Group's decisions with limiting the ETA calibres to non Swatch Group members.

A few other brands are already using Sellita. Oris comes to mind. The patents are expired for the ETA's, so Sellita is free to produce the identical movement. From what I understand, they are true Swiss Made movements, unlike Eta. What is interesting, is they are 26 jewel movements, while the ETA is 25. I haven't looked into it any further as the where they place the extra jewel.

There are a few that are on ebay, but I have yet to see them listed at any of the material houses. I emailed Sellita a while ago, and was told that they only supply OEM and do not sell individual movements.

I am considering buying one, as I find the Sea-gull Eta versions so-so.

If you can find one, buy one. I'm sure you won't go wrong.

Stilty,

I appreciate your feedback. It confirms my decision to go with a sellita movement for my fraken tudor project. And specially, it's a gen swiss movement to the exact same measurements as eta for less the price for a eta 2824-2.

From the additional research I've read Sellita is going to fill the void of eta is creating, as well as, expand its movement portfolio and go after more mid and luxury tier brands. It's going to get interesting since Sellita used do some work for eta.

[quote name=stilty' date='08 September 2009 - 10:33 PM' timestamp='1252474402' post='718343]

A few other brands are already using Sellita. Oris comes to mind. The patents are expired for the ETA's, so Sellita is free to produce the identical movement. From what I understand, they are true Swiss Made movements, unlike Eta. What is interesting, is they are 26 jewel movements, while the ETA is 25. I haven't looked into it any further as the where they place the extra jewel.

There are a few that are on ebay, but I have yet to see them listed at any of the material houses. I emailed Sellita a while ago, and was told that they only supply OEM and do not sell individual movements.

I am considering buying one, as I find the Sea-gull Eta versions so-so.

If you can find one, buy one. I'm sure you won't go wrong.

Sellita movements are I'm told the Toyotas of watch movements. Nothing fancy, nothing revolutionary, just inexpensive, reliable, me-too products that do what they say on the tin.

Still, it seems they are being restrictive about supply as well, no listing on the Cousins, Borels (and that other nut) of this world. Which means we're stuck with Chinese made ETA clones for the time being. <_<

I believe Selitta was doing a lot of work 'decorating' ETA movements for various watch manufacturers prior to getting into the movement business themselves.

The SW200 is the clone of the 2824.

The SW300 is the clone of the 2892.

The SW500 is the clone of the 7750.

Their website for those interested.

http://www.sellita.ch/index.php