When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Member Trading

lanikai

I am posting this as a member of the forum to raise attention to the member trades here... mainly for the newer members or Noobs that have just arrived .. since you may be searching anxiously for your first watch, be it replica or genuine.. and clamp on to the first seller you see with a decent looking piece..

I"m not pointing at anyone .. this is just some info for you .. :)

We've all been there, new, fresh on the scene, although many years ago.. and believing everything we read.. throw our money down..

I believe the members going back 6 or 7 years were more cautious .. back then the reps were not of the quality that they are today..

to protect ourselves from issues that may arise from unhappy buyer's .. or miscommunication ..

granted there will always be whiners and nit pickers... that is the nature of the beast..

If you are new and the seller's registration date is relatively new .. post questions relevant to this seller on the board .. ask members..

some members who have started with the old TRC may be re-registered in a quest to sell off their collection .. but we don't know that unless we ask ...

We need to help POLICE ourselves.. this is in no means a "Witch Hunt".. but just due diligence ....

Be aware of customs issues before purchasing .. ask if you are in doubt.

Be aware of sellers that "Claim" to have had their movements "Serviced" .. RWG has only 2 in house Horologist.. ZM and Vac.. if it was done by someones local watch smith... ask for proof of the work... as a serviced movement will fetch much more than one that hasn't been serviced... you may be paying more than you should..

If you have issues and all communication with the seller has failed bring it to the communities attention.. most of the time there is a valid reason...I always "try" and give the benefit of the doubt.

Conversely there are times when "NO' communication is attempted and a member will post .... WTF is going on???? :rolleyes: this is typical with members who buy reps from dealers..

Remember what hobby this is .. and a lot of strange things can happen during shipping..so communication is key.. and just my opinion.. you get a lot further with honey than with vinegar.. :) again my opinion.. but when dealing with dealers.. a humble attitude will get you much farther... just my .02 on that point.

The Admin Team is not here to arbitrate members dealings with one another.. so do your footwork and cover all bases before you pull the trigger.... and the members that have been here awhile need to call out any questionable dealings.. as has always been the case..

Have I missed anything ??

I hope more awareness will help us all..

A~C

Lani

I agree, wholeheartedly, most important ask the seller??? Go straight to the source, if what they say doesnt make sense to you then search for help from other members. i for one try to be completely honest about what i sold, rather them not buy , than to buy and be unhappy. Also some members had their History erased upon re-registration, and then had to re-register under another name because the software would not accept the old name again, i changed from SHTSLR to SHTSLR1. You can also ask for their ebay handle. If they are honest they wont mind you looking at their history there.

You can also ask for their ebay handle. If they are honest they wont mind you looking at their history there.

that's a good suggestion... I'm concerned though that some people may think they can get away with issues here where at other sites that would not be the case.. but thank you for the input !! B)

L

Good thoughts Lani. Especially about the servicing. Everyone's watch is serviced lately. :rolleyes:

Also keep in mind, just because its going on the chopping block here, doesn't mean its uber boutique quality stuff. I've seen some duzies lately.

If your not sure about something, ask. Most everyone here enjoys every opportunity to talk shop.

nice work, R...great idea... :good:

a couple points to add if you don't mind... :victory:

sellers:

1) if you think it's a defect, imperfection, quirkiness - then it probably is...disclose it...

2) in CONUS and if you ship USPS, pay the extra cents and get "delivery confirmation"...and ship 1st class - it doesn't cost that much...we all hate the wait for watches -- so keep that in mind and get the watch there as fast as you can - within reason...

buyers:

1) make sure you understand that a used watch can have surface scratches, swirls, deskdives, etc...and when viewing macro pictures understand that they appear much larger than they really are...

2) "pm sent" or "mine!" added as a reply in the sales thread does not automatically mean it's yours...many members give preference to repeat buyers, supporter and platinum members...understand this...yes - it can be frustrating, but that's how it can work...

buyers/sellers:

1) enjoy the trade areas!...many good finds, and mostly "seen" quality control...many of the "dealers" drop-ship watches -- so it's safe to say that its likely the watch has not been checked for defects - cosmetic or operational...with the trade area you have the chance to not only "see" pix, but to discuss with the seller anything you want about the exact watch you are buying...

2) keep track of who you buy/trade/sell to...as time goes by, it's great to have repeat trading partners...and some will become good friends...

3) make a copy of the sales thread for future reference...sometimes pix are taken down, etc...i always make a copy of the sales threads by printing to a pdf file...(if you don't know how to do this with windows computers, go to download.com and find "cutepdf" - it works great...

R-

the need for the rank and file members especially the ones that have been here awhile and are "aware" of the little anomalies that newer members miss... need to bring it to the attention of members in whatever sales thread is present..

we're all adults and the Admin Team is not here to police the "playground" so we need to watch each others backs.. so to speak.. community patrol.. for lack of a better word.. and advise the noobs if we see something that's not Kosher... :)

AC

Lani