When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New SMP Chrono vs Old SMP Chrono

b.diddy

Hi all,

Pretty noob at this whole thing right now. Got into this whole thing after buying a not so bad replica (in my early opinion) from one of the markets in Beijing for $60.

Currently looking into getting a Omega SMP chrono from Joshua. It seems they only have the new (red font) SMP chrono now. I'm just wondering how this compares to the old SMP chrono (non red font) reviewed by Toad and others?:

Has anybody purchased it? The pictures seem pretty good. The inside casing looks even better then the old SMP chrono.

Thanks,

B

There are a few differences to be sure. The old watch had a very accurate dial, but the bracelet had screws instead of pins, (the original uses pins). The new watch has fixed some previous oversights, It uses pins on the bracelet instead of screws, it has better AR, it also has the new Anti-counterfeit logo on the case, BUT, and this a major bug, the Omega font is completely wrong. On the original watch, the letters are interconnected through the middle, the rep font has the letters interconnecting from the bottom.

Unfortunately, it's now nearly impossible to find the older rep. I tried ordering it from 3 different deals that still show it on their web sites, but neither of them actually had it and all offered the new version instead.

There are a few differences to be sure. The old watch had a very accurate dial, but the bracelet had screws instead of pins, (the original uses pins). The new watch has fixed some previous oversights, It uses pins on the bracelet instead of screws, it has better AR, it also has the new Anti-counterfeit logo on the case, BUT, and this a major bug, the Omega font is completely wrong. On the original watch, the letters are interconnected through the middle, the rep font has the letters interconnecting from the bottom.

Unfortunately, it's now nearly impossible to find the older rep. I tried ordering it from 3 different deals that still show it on their web sites, but neither of them actually had it and all offered the new version instead.

How about the 2531.80? Joshua doesn't seem to have it anymore, he only has the new 2220.80. Where can I get a 2531.80 replica that's on by-tor's guide:

How does the new rep 2220.80 stack up with the old rep 2531.80?

I'm looking to buy a SMP, don't like the PO too much...

What's the best replica available that is still sold by the dealers?

Edited by b.diddy

Just for the record: The SMP Chrono HE valve is in different position. It's exactly at 10'o'clock on the gen... unlike the standard version (which has HE valve placed higher). At least the old chrono rep version is accurate in this sense too.

seamaster_chrono_bond_01.jpg

Just for the record: The SMP Chrono HE valve is in different position. It's exactly at 10'o'clock on the gen... unlike the standard version (which has HE valve placed higher). At least the old chrono rep version is accurate in this sense too.

seamaster_chrono_bond_01.jpg

Sorry, should have clarified that a bit more. Thanks BT.

Depending on which generation of this version of the gen you got (yup...just like Rolex, there are variances in the gen depending on which issue you got)...some were more orange than red. More recent ones are redder than older ones. If you get Zig to mod it, he can paint the chrono hands to match the chapter ring markers...looks a heckuva lot better. It makes them redder...but still a little orange...not like a cherry red.

Here's a comparison of a Black dial gen and my modded EuroTimez with ETA 7750 with correct date, gen hands, and double AR. I'd like a new dial but just can't justify the $300+ for it. I placed the hands you can see the flaws in the dial. the must have for me is the correct length hands and that includes the sub hands. They are all slightly longer on the new models. Honestly, I really don't notice the dial when I'm wearing it.

post-216-125375083403_thumb.jpgpost-216-125375087242_thumb.jpg

What Toad says... 2 different gen versions. Other has orange subdial hand tips, the other has "pink" ones. Strange but true. The old rep uses orange which are accurate.

If the old rep version had a gen bezel insert it'd be super hard to tell it from a gen. It's that good.

So from what I understand all the SMP (chron and non chron) are not worth buying now because of the He valve flaw?

No recommendations?

Take a good hard look at the two gens in my post. It's hard to see the difference in the He valve and I wear either without it bugging me.

All in all, I think it's a great rep with a few mods. Read Toads review.

So from what I understand all the SMP (chron and non chron) are not worth buying now because of the He valve flaw?

No recommendations?

OMG... NO DUDE... you got this wrong, while we may sit here and nit pick at this or that, this is still a fantastic watch, and a joy to own. I have the new SMP, the one with the wrong font, yet I'm still happy with it.

99.5% of the population will never know this is a rep, they're just not as informed as the people here. While no rep is ever "perfect", these are great watches. We're only pointing out these flaws so that we can give you an informed starting point as to which one you might want to buy, not to scare you away from buying it.

While we may be talking about this and that being a glaring flaw, they're so small, they're microscopic. Without the real thing to compare it to, and without a magnifier, and without prior knowledge of where to look, you wouldn't see or know the difference.

Let's face it, most of us here are just "anal" about our hobby.

Edit:

Regarding the HE valve, it's exactly at 10 o'clcok on the new SMP. The only thing I'm curious about (and someone who know for sure please chime in), is the valve stem supposed to be embossed with "He" or the Omega logo?

Edited by Dudemeister
  • Like 1

I have the new chrono version with the red lettering and I love it...the raised omega logo is nice (although I hate the raised feet) and the red lettering looks great. The silver outline around the markers are a bit thick. Although I have a spare gen old-style dial, I'm leaving the rep dial in (with superlume) due to the distinction of the red lettering. I stuck in a gen crown and tube and it looks really good overall.

I have the new chrono version with the red lettering and I love it...the raised omega logo is nice (although I hate the raised feet) and the red lettering looks great. The silver outline around the markers are a bit thick. Although I have a spare gen old-style dial, I'm leaving the rep dial in (with superlume) due to the distinction of the red lettering. I stuck in a gen crown and tube and it looks really good overall.

How did you get a SMP dial with Superlume? The one I have is anything but. I mean it has lume, but it's not even close to Superlume. The hands seem to have better lume than the dial, which starts to fade within seconds of turning out the light.

BTW, it's the Omega logo font they used that is wrong. The original has the letters tied together through the center, whereas the rep has the letters tied at the bottom. Take a look at the pics below, and you'll see what I mean.

SMP_GEN-REP.jpgOMEGA_LOGO.jpg

If I ever come across a correct replacement dial or maybe just the logo, I'll probably do the swap, but until then I'm not going to sweat it.

Thanks for all the info guys...

I don't think the He valve position is a big issue for me...but the font does bother me a lot more...

How are the current 2531.80 swiss movements that the forum dealers are selling? Are they still selling the same one that was reviewed by everyone in Toad's post:

?

Edited by b.diddy

@B.Diddy: Just buy the friggin' gen if those things bother you so much... these are reps (from Guangzhou, China... not 100% perfect) and it's not like the SMP Chrono is a $5K watch or anything. :D

Indeed...I think I will, but not now...and also I do a lot of traveling so I want a watch that's not so expensive to wear all over...

Just looking for the best replicated Seamaster right now on the market...

Currently I'm considering the Bond SMP and trying to convince myself of the PO chrono both from Joshua. Any comments about these two watches? Are both these watches sold currently the same watches referred to in By-Tor's best Omegas guide?

Thanks

Edited by b.diddy

What Toad says... 2 different gen versions. Other has orange subdial hand tips, the other has "pink" ones. Strange but true. The old rep uses orange which are accurate.

If the old rep version had a gen bezel insert it'd be super hard to tell it from a gen. It's that good.

Don't forget the ETA datewheel if you want to go down that path...

WRONG. The SMP Chrono (new and old version) have the CORRECT HEV position. The non-chrono SMP reps (unless you get the older rarer ones not sold anymore) have the HEV INCORRECTLY @ 10-o-clock where it should be slightly higher.

As DudeM says, on the currently available chrono, the strikethrough being low on the OMEGA is to me, a bigger flaw. I think the rep also has the Happy Feet Ohm as well...but that's another story.

If you're worried about accuracy...you'll have a harder time with the Bond SMPs. I have an El Cheap Asian 21j broad stick SMP with the incorrect HEV...it bothers me none. It's a nice watch...and at $100 new, a great deal.

You're going all over the place on your decision there dude. Pick the design you want, and just buy something. If you go Asian, it's $100...not the end of the world.

The PO Chrono has 2 versions, the newer narrow spacing subdials and the older wide spacing. That's a whole different discussion and worthy of you doing some legwork on the reviews of the movement and the watch (look for Francisco movement reviews, and Lanikai's photo threads).

Good luck. Considering all the info and advice you're getting with all this...consider upgrading your membership to support the forum that's helping you out!!

Don't forget the ETA datewheel if you want to go down that path...

Yep. But the early versions of SMP chrono came with perfect ETA datewheel. Me and chrgod got the first ones and it's all good. They downgraded the datewheel to the later batches only.

Thanks for the help all, it is much appreciated.

I emailed the dealers, apparently Tony at asian7750 says that they have sent the factory the specs for the right dial so it will be out soon.

I think I'll hold out for this one :)

Well, if they ever do actually fix that, you guys will probably have to thank me. I'm the one who sent Tony Feng the photos you saw earlier and the enlargement of what the logo font is supposed to look like. Before that he insisted the factory had it right and the dial was "perfect".

Hell... Tony should send me the first watch for free for doing their job... (and further inspection and QC) :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 year later...

Indeed...I think I will, but not now...and also I do a lot of traveling so I want a watch that's not so expensive to wear all over...

Just looking for the best replicated Seamaster right now on the market...

Currently I'm considering the Bond SMP and trying to convince myself of the PO chrono both from Joshua. Any comments about these two watches? Are both these watches sold currently the same watches referred to in By-Tor's best Omegas guide?

Thanks

The planet ocean is the best replicated Seamaster right now. The new 5th gen 42mm I picked up has a bezel clickspring for pete's sake.

The PO chrono has similar issues to the SMP. Bad HE valve and chrono pusher placement, recessed datewheel, happy feet, etc.

If you want the best out of the box, get the new UPO (updated logo) or the 5th gen 42mm PO.