When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swiss Watch Industry Launches "Anti-Counterfeit" Media Campaign

solicitor

Guest HaloArchive

That image has been around for quite a while. But, it is very worthy of discussion! IMHO, replica watches are like free advertising for the companies and henceforth, some of that ends up creating a sale for the company.

It's a continuous campaign by the powers that be.. I don't really pay much mind to it as this for me is a "hobby" .. more about movements for some .... about aesthetics for others..

what ever moves you ... of course we would debate the shallowness of the statement and the other side would pound out it's validity..

So it really just depends on which side of the fence you fancy or afford.. 8)

most here have genuine also..so just take it for what it's worth..

"look to the SOURCE" ..(of the marketing campaign)

AC

L

Here's a quote from the campaign press release:

Counterfeiters increasingly target internationally renowned Fine Watch brands, whose reputation, capacity for innovation and sales all suffer as a result. These brands must also invest significant amounts in the fight against illicit copies in all their forms and to protect their intellectual property. As counterfeiting continues to spread, an even more serious consequence is the generalised loss of confidence in companies that nevertheless create jobs and added value. At national level, counterfeiting forces governments to invest heavily in the fight against fakes while losing out on tax revenues, and takes away employment opportunities. Finally, the phenomenal amounts of money generated by counterfeiting go on to benefit the mafias, criminal organisations and terrorist groups that reign over this illicit trade, where child labour is commonplace, and health and safety standards are openly flouted.

Those are serious allegations. Of course, they cite no empirical data to support them.

The one point that does cause particular concern is this issue of child labor, which is tantamount to slavery IMO. Anyone know whether there is any evidence to support that claim in the replica watch industry?

Propaganda.. no one reports child labour in GZ when the visit .. as a few members have seen for themselves the workings of the "factories" there..

BS is what it amounts to.. to mislead and scare the public into taking action ..

Governments have taken over the Mafia's rein .. :lol:

the demands for reps are mostly due to the companies over inflated prices that most people can not afford. as these companies target a "high class" clientele by attracting people who can afford these watches and would desire them mostly due to the image of exclusivity they superficially display buy wearing one(myself included at times barley) is entirely as self centered imho, as the licentious attitude of rep buyers(myself included) who support the entire rep industry whom also desire that same image of exclusivity but simply can not afford to pay the over inflated prices. this also would explain why the "best reps" are pretty much the same thing at a fraction of the cost of gen, as that would prove that gen watches can be made and sold for much less in terms of the actual costs not justified by huge overhead and advertising costs . the real problem is the the selfish self-centered desire to look or feel better about ourselves and of course to others in order to gain an temporarily enhanced sense of self worth as persons. but this does last as with anything else there is "never enough" that will ultimately satisfy us in a superficial meaningless way. most of us already know this intuitively on some level, but we simply don't have anything better to do or so we think at the time. we also know that the business world is corrupt in general so therefore the companies that make "gen" watches are of course acting out of self interest in order to keep making money while judging and condemning the rep community to whom they desire in pride to shut out of their exclusive "pay our over inflated prices if you want to be accepted" attitude. however there are also simply those who love the beauty and mechanics of watches and/or watchmaking apart from all the dysfunctional reasons to own one. personally I tend to fall into the dysfunctional category which is how I have come to know all this. anyway I'm just bored. no pun intended here.