When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got wood?

TeeJay

Looks good, TeeJay. I know you are not usually after accuracy with your custom designs, but you might search out some of Rolex's wooden dials for inspiration (google or TZ would be good staring points).

Thanks, Freddy :) I don't think I'm going to be able to get dial printing onto the dial, but I have plans to use a budget Milgauss or even maybe a Date Just for Phase Two, as that would enable me to keep a coronet marker at 12, which will at least allude to Rolex :) I'm going to experiment with varnishing, and maybe using a pin to try and get a more 3-D effect (by following the 'grain' and indenting it slightly), than the untreated vinyl which is all the dial suface is at the moment :)

Looks fantastic and very interesting from a "heretic's" point of view! ;) The real wood veneers are not that expensive and might be an option as well >Rocklers venner assortment

Thanks, and thanks for the link :) At the moment, I don't have access to the necessary tools to properly shape a dial, and then put in the holes for the markers to fit into, but a pocket knife, a pair of sharp scissors and a nappy pin are all I used to get the above result :victory:

Very well done with what you had at hand. I always look at new projects to justify new tool purchases to wife.gov, and sometimes it actually works! ;D But, then again, sometimes it don't... :black_eye:

Very well done with what you had at hand. I always look at new projects to justify new tool purchases to wife.gov, and sometimes it actually works! ;D But, then again, sometimes it don't... :black_eye:

I think I only managed to get away with it because of the cost of the vinyl :lol:

TJ, the printable decals that you (Slartibartfast) used on the Tudor dial exist in a clear variant... ;) Then you can print whatever you want and apply on the "wood". B)

Thanks for the feedback, that's very true, and I had considered the decal method to get dial printing, but, I'm hoping to go for a really 3-D effect on the next dial by indenting over the 'grain' with a pin, and I think a decal might 'flatten' that too much...

The only way to get the raised print effect like Rolex has is to use silk screen with a thick metallic ink. You should use gold ink on this one. Rolex used to make a burl wood dial day date in gold circa 1980's. This would look sick in a vintage looking gold submariner or gmt case and bracelet. Maybe even a gold jubilee bracelet gmt plexi crystal. Now I got wood............... :p

The only way to get the raised print effect like Rolex has is to use silk screen with a thick metallic ink. You should use gold ink on this one. Rolex used to make a burl wood dial day date in gold circa 1980's. This would look sick in a vintage looking gold submariner or gmt case and bracelet. Maybe even a gold jubilee bracelet gmt plexi crystal. Now I got wood............... :p

Sadly, I don't have access to screen printing techniques :( Nor even transfer printing...

I'm definitely feeling the idea of a woodmariner, and that was definitely one of my choices for the project, but I wanted to keep the wood 'reserved for special occasions', rather than a daily beater, so what I'm going to go for, is a Presidential DateJust, with modern 'rectangular lume' markers, so it will be a primarily smart dress watch, but with the ability to be functional beyond that formal setting :)

I like it! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Nice job. What would really make that dial pop is to do the mid links in the bracelet as well! I forget, but one of the high end swiss luxury brands is doing wood mid-links in their new model. :drinks:

Thanks for the feedback, and I love the sound of wood as mid-links, I'll have to hit up Google to try and track down some photos :tu::drinks:

Interesting.

OT

Are the replica 'Cousteau' IWC's real wood on the caseback? I believe the gens sport actual deck wood of the Calypso herself, then resined over. Wow. A piece of the Calypso. Seems sacrilegious, but considering what happened to the ship...................she lives.

Perhaps beyond the realm of 'do-it-yourself' as surely it would require a laser precision die, but this project got me to thinking................

Thanks, and thanks for the link :) At the moment, I don't have access to the necessary tools to properly shape a dial, and then put in the holes for the markers to fit into, but a pocket knife, a pair of sharp scissors and a nappy pin are all I used to get the above result :victory:

LOL, well done with the tools at hand. I would sugest having a ask at your local cabinet makers tho. They will have offcuts large enough for what you need that would be thrown away otherwise. That way you can get some nice exotic veneer to play with for little or nothing. There is proberly a laser cutting joint near you who could cut you a dial out of the veneer for 20 or 30 bucks. For not much more you could have a few done at once.

Interesting.

OT

Are the replica 'Cousteau' IWC's real wood on the caseback? I believe the gens sport actual deck wood of the Calypso herself, then resined over. Wow. A piece of the Calypso. Seems sacrilegious, but considering what happened to the ship...................she lives.

Perhaps beyond the realm of 'do-it-yourself' as surely it would require a laser precision die, but this project got me to thinking................

No, I seem to recall it's plastic wood. Nid not somone from here or RWI do a "real wood" mod on the Cousteau?

I'd rather have a piece of the Calypso than a piece of the Titanic in my watch.

Col.