When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is the Breitling forum so darn dead?!...

hackR

Breitling developed the B01 in house over 8years from scratch, not taking anything from the ETA7750.

Are you entirely sure that's true and not just Breitling's version of the story? Not that I know anything definitive to the contrary, but I've read several places that the movement was in fact developed by ETA for Breitling, or in co-operation with Breitling.

Are you entirely sure that's true and not just Breitling's version of the story? Not that I know anything definitive to the contrary, but I've read several places that the movement was in fact developed by ETA for Breitling, or in co-operation with Breitling.

Everything that I have read (Websites, magazines, AD info) is that Breitling developed the movement fully in house at their new facility to mass produce their movements. They all read like Breitling has invented the greatest movement, manufacturing process etc. since the creation of sliced bread.

This is from QP magazine:

"If you're in the market for a chronograph that comes with serious horological credibility, a price that is substantial rather than scandalous and a name on the dial that the rest of the world might have heard of, then the legion of choices that most watch buyers face narrows quite sharply and surprisingly to just two: Omega's Seamaster Broad Arrow and the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. Both have names that most people understand, reputations that have to survive volume production in the 100,000s and are equipped with movements that define the standards by which others should be judged.

In terms of horological cred, the choice between the two comes down to the superior finish and sophistication of Omega's co-axial escapement calibre 3313, against Rolex's 4130, a movement designed and proven to be rugged, reliable and easy to service. There may be other chronograph movements equal to these two in terms of quality, but none in terms of price and volume of production. Until now.

Breitling has just complicated that choice with the Chronomat B01, which features the new, in-house Calibre BO1. If not quite the size of Rolex or Omega, Breitling is a serious volume maker of watches and has the muscle and will to make up the difference. Until the advent of the B01, Breitling could never be thought of as having quite the same credibility as either Omega or Rolex - the general quality of the company's watches was certainly the equal of these two, while the genuine recognition of professional pilots has been of real value, but however well finished and modified, ETA/Valjoux bases are simply not valued as highly as an in-house movement.

The B01 will be made in serious numbers, upwards of 50,000 a year and, at the launch, seems the equal of both the 3313 and the 4130, being designed from first principles to be robust, precise and easy to maintain. The COSC-certified, 70-hour running movement includes a new system for adjusting the chronograph control functions and is housed in a case that is water-resistance rated at 500m.

With five years of development behind it, the B01 is not being released untested into the world; reliability being of serious importance in coming up against such well-proven competitors. So not just watch of the month, quite conceivably watch of the next decade - the Chronomat B01."

Like I said, all the knowledge I have gathered is that the B01 is prue Breitling. My only question regarding if ETA developed it, is why? Since ETA is done supplying ebauche to anyone outside of the Swatch group. If you have some thing that says ETA helped or did it all, please PM me.

:drinks:

Sure thing, I too have read the same piece a few different places. Like I said I have no definitive info either way (obviously, since I know exactly nobugger in the watch business), but I've seen the ETA angle in print (or on liquid crystal) a few places now, so I'm not sure what to think. Not thatI actually care either way - in-house or out-house is all the same to me - except that it would be interesting to have the issue resolved once and for all.