When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is the Breitling forum so darn dead?!...

hackR

After the Seawolf.. there hasn't really been anything exciting to stir the Brand..

when the economy bottomed out a lot of replications were put on the back burner or scrapped altogether, dealers were left holding the bag on genuine purchases..

It has affected the traffic in the Breitling section.. you can only post so many SA pics..

and also with the down traffic many members have sold their reps.. even their gens. to purchase other brands

it would be interesting to hear from the hard core rep/gen owners if they have seen a reduction of interest in the brand.

and lastly more members are turning to the vintage frankens be it rolex or Pams.. which is not a bad thing as I found myself less attracted to the modern models and have gravitated more towards the vintage Rolex and now the Pre-A Pams.. got one in the works now..

With Kruzers work in getting RWG the exclusive Vintage 3646 case set made per order .. more and more members are gravitating to other brands..

Or... members are holding out for Gio's threads... :lol:

AC

Lani

I'm very impatiently waiting on a skyland. Not that it's going to stir much attention on the boards, but i'm crossing my fingers my first 7750 isn't going to be broken, and sharing some pics.

screw watches, the real interest around here is the word association thread! What are we at, page 46?

The boards have been a bit slow in general I think. It comes and go's though.

One thing I don't get about the rep SOSF. All the gens I have seen have an arrow at the end of the seconds hand. Like this one on the right:

[IMG_1642.jpg

But all of the reps I have seen have a square marker at the end of the seconds hand. Why is this? Do any of the factories make the SOSF with the arrow?

boredom at the office does not a super star make.. :bangin:

besides it wasn't an original post. :brow:

Talking about the thread over on the geek? Believe it or not, I'm not active nor knew it was even there. I got the idea from a car forum I used to frequent a long time ago. My initial thought was to make a few threads to get people posting around here.

One thing I don't get about the rep SOSF. All the gens I have seen have an arrow at the end of the seconds hand. Like this one on the right:

[IMG_1642.jpg

But all of the reps I have seen have a square marker at the end of the seconds hand. Why is this? Do any of the factories make the SOSF with the arrow?

Earlier versions of the gen had the box second hand, then Breitling switched to the arrow. There are both in the rep world, too. Narikaa's got an arrow or two listed (and is a great guy to deal with btw).

heres a pic right from his section-

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-9/1278421/BREITLING%2080502a.JPG

[IMG_1642.jpg

Breitling started using the arrow in 2008. But there's just as many gen breitlings with the square out there

I think that things have been quite here for two reasons. First, no new releases. Second, the last bunch of releases have been limiting as to what you can do with mods. Aside from putting a gen dial on the Super Avengers, there is no real mods that can be done to the skylands or seawolfs. Cant even AR the crystal with Cheif's magic coating because the bezel wont come off.

I've always said that we have been spoiled with the quality of these reps over the past few years, but in some ways it has taken away the most fun part of our hobby. I always thought the most exciting threads at RWG were when guys would take a pretty good rep, and turn it in to a perfect rep. I love looking at all those PO & UPO modding threads in the Omega area. Sadly, its just not possible with Breits.

Just different model years.

Yes, that's right. As for the area being dead, like Andrew said, no new models, and no need to mod the reps (or no possibility due to part unavailability)...

Anyway, I've always loved Breitlings, and I always will. No watch brand does it for me the way Breitling does. They are simply gorgeous!

Edit: misspelling

Edited by yodap

As said earlier, the one rep which could potentially kick start the interest again would be the chronomat B01, its amazing. If only I could afford 5k for the gen

I'm a little more skeptical on that. As the B01 is not 7750 based, there will more than likely be issues with subdial spacing (they might be close, but likely not exact) and things like crown/pusher alignment. I've noticed a real trend towards the "if its not perfect, its not worth buying" attitude in the past few years. Guys have been spoiled by the near perfect replication of 7750 based watches, and I don't think they'll go for a less than perfect B01 at this point.

If only I could afford 5k for the gen

$5K? I wish, none of the AD's I have dealt with are willing to budge off the $6500-$7480 (Leather strap or bracelet) retail right now. :angry:

I have found it disappointing that there has not been more topics on Breitlings around here. They are by far my fav. time pieces. Maybe the reason is, other then updated dial versions, the entire line is pretty well covered. All the dealers really have left to do is improve the flaws. Other then the new B01 or Colt GMT+ what else can they replicate? Models like the Aerospace, Airwolf, and Emergency are hard to duplicate (better then what they already have) because of the LCD screens. The Skyracer, Bentley Flying B's and 125th Anniversary Navitimer require unique movements beyond the typical A7750 modification. The new Chono-matics have perpetual calendars, again becomes a movement issue.

They should not be far behind on the B01 as it really just a dial change from the Chronomats as the movement already exists although dial spacing would be a minor issue.

:drinks:

Maybe the reason is, other then updated dial versions, the entire line is pretty well covered.

Pretty well perhaps, depending on how one sees it, but there are quite a few models left that I'd personally love to get my hands on. I'd (almost) kill for a super-rep of the Cockpit and I wouldn't mind a Skyracer and a Chrono Superocean. There aren't any really decent Colts either, are there? Then there's the Olympus and the Cosmonaute, as well as the garden variety Montbrillant. But yeah, I guess perhaps the most popular models from each line are covered and they're gonna leave it at that. Hope not though.

As far as the B01 goes, the subdial positioning looks to be the exact same as on the 7750-based models to me. Maybe I'm just cynical, but somehow I doubt that ETA developed Caliber B01 entirely from scratch when they already had the 7750 lying around...

I think like others have noted, there haven't been a lot of new releases lately. The buzz around the DLC Blacksteel was exciting to read...but now that it is out, it's lack of "newness" doesn't spur as much conversation.

Andreww's point about the reps being of such a high quality that the current line of Breitling reps is almost a shop-and-go scenario with little thinking involved to get a near perfect rep is something to consider. A lot of the active recent posts have been around some of the modding efforts on Frankens (3714 and the concepta movements), gen movement fitting (Zig's Illinois movement in the PAM, and other's Hamilton movement Franken's)...so when the Breitling ones need little modding, how many queries do you get?

Talking about the thread over on the geek? Believe it or not, I'm not active nor knew it was even there. I got the idea from a car forum I used to frequent a long time ago. My initial thought was to make a few threads to get people posting around here.

ya dun good P4.. regardless :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Pretty well perhaps, depending on how one sees it, but there are quite a few models left that I'd personally love to get my hands on. I'd (almost) kill for a super-rep of the Cockpit and I wouldn't mind a Skyracer and a Chrono Superocean. There aren't any really decent Colts either, are there? Then there's the Olympus and the Cosmonaute, as well as the garden variety Montbrillant. But yeah, I guess perhaps the most popular models from each line are covered and they're gonna leave it at that. Hope not though.

As far as the B01 goes, the subdial positioning looks to be the exact same as on the 7750-based models to me. Maybe I'm just cynical, but somehow I doubt that ETA developed Caliber B01 entirely from scratch when they already had the 7750 lying around...

You figure the rep. makers could do the Cockpit if they could source the ETA 2896 movement. Same for the Chrono Super Ocean as it uses a 7750. Skyracer would be cool, but would be pointless without a functional movement having the minute totalizer at center. Same goes for the Cosmonaute, again with the 24Hr. movement.

Breitling developed the B01 in house over 8years from scratch, not taking anything from the ETA7750.

:drinks: