When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Going for the datejust gen and need help

kokedose

Hi @ll,

After years of owning datejust reps and being left cold i am finaly in a position to take the plundge and get me a gen, I love the clean lines and understated class..who among us hasnt noticed a DJ hanging on the wrist of someone that could tell you the day he/she got it and what the occasion was? A Rolex for the blue or white collar indeed . Been looking around forever and would like input from our scam site experts on this site..www.hermitagejewelers.com. Any of us had dealings with these guys or can give me advice?, it would be appreciated.

Be lucky @ll :)

Never heard of them.

My recommendation is to buy from an AD (Rolex authorized dealer) unless you want to spend the time/effort required to learn the differences between reps/frankens & gen Rolex watches. And the education involves alot of trips to ADs to try on the real thing & reading about gens. That is the only way you will know the difference.

If you still want to buy online, then I would only buy from established dealers with sterling reputations (check VRF for a seller's reputation) or from an ebay iconTrsLarge.gif with at least a 99.5% positive buyer rating & a solid seller history of more than 500 sales of primarily Rolex watches. Unless the seller meets all of these requirements, you are taking a big chance. And even then, there are no guarantees when buying online (even generally experienced dealers are routinely fooled & unwittingly pass along fakes as gens).

If you want to buy a gen Datejust, first you have to decide what you want and how much you want to spend. Ermitage Jewelers looks OK, but it's a typical retail establishment- prices are probably 25% higher than what you'd pay on ebay. Ebay is really pretty much a wholesale marketplace, but as Freddy says, you have to know the seller. Look for lots of sales, excellent feedback and good pics on the site. DJ prices run from around $1250 for a 1601 (c.60's-70's) up to over $10K for gold and diamonds. I would think you could find a nice used one for $2-3000. New from one of the grey market resellers- maybe $3500-6000. On older watches you may have to add in the cost of a service- $200-300.

If anything looks funny, you need to walk away.

Beckertime in Dallas sells alot of Rolex, DeMesy's, Bernard Watch in Austin, DJ's are the most popular watch in the Rolex line, so there's lots to choose from- esp. now.