When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to go in Thailand?

nleap

Just got back home after an amazing week in BKK, although I didn't go there rep hunting it never hurts and was on the list along with a visit to Rajawongse for a couple hand made suits / shirts and eating atleast 4 meals a day of the amazing street food :D and after what seemed like a couple wasted trips to MBK and the markets and seeing only a couple nice pieces but was being quoted in excess of a $700-800 - couldn't even be bothered to start bargaining and just gave up. MBW / Nah Phiek as I mentioned above was a great store but not really for browsing.

I knew Rolexfinder was based in BKK and sent him a PM just letting him know I was in town.. what can I say but the response kinda took me by surprise! First he offered to show me around MBK, which I passed on as I was too tried being dragged around the night markets by the Mrs - so he then went out of his way bought over a very nice collection of watches for me at my hotel he had borrowed from his suppliers... after going thru them and being not really that excited about anything - it must be the fact ive been in this hobby for too long as nothing really took my interest despite the great collection of watches in front of me including some MBW pieces (had this been 2006 I might have messed my pants).

I finally saw something I liked in what seemed like a endless supply of great reps.. his personal Volcano ROO with a custom hornback strap (what a beauty!!) that he agreed to part with even seeing how much I wanted it, I then wanted a ROO rubberclad he had bought along from his suppliers but rather then try and push me to buy it he advised against it seeing as I already had a couple ROO's, not something many people would do. He also noticed a rubber was missing from my HBB big bang's pusher and emailed his supplier to try and sort me one.. followed by which arranged a full service for it at his watchsmith as well including fitting of a gen black eta date wheel.. this being my extreme beater (quad biking / airsofting / building sand castles etc ;)) I had almost resigned it to the bin seeing how battered it was and was looking on the forums for a replacement and thanks to him it now has a new lease of life.

During all the watch talk with me, he was also helping the Mrs plan a trip around Thailand - giving her tips of which places to visit, where to shop to which restaurants to check out including a trip to Hua Hin and stop at the Mint May / Premium outlets on the way back (great deals on gen Abercrombie / Polo shirts btw! After we got back he took us out for lunch with his family followed by taking us shopping to JJ market - above and beyond needless to say! I have to say I was amazed at what a great genuine guy he really is and how much he helped make our trip a special one and thru no self interest other then helping a fellow 'Watchgeek' out who he only knew from the forums.. he also has some amazing contacts and nothing is too much for him to try and source or do, a great resource for this board most definitely and if there is something you can't source / finding, drop him a line and I am sure he will go out of his way to help you.

So a big thanks to Rolexfinder / Paul - cheers mate really appreciate everything you did and of course if it hadn't been for this forum, wouldn't have gotten to make a great real-life friend as it were. Also a thank you to the posters here who inc Narikaa and neverworn for their MBK tips!

BTW for those who haven't been there, Thailand is a must !!! First trip there for myself but will definitely be back shortly.

I know, I know.. this thread is worthless without pics so here you are... some(about a quarter) of the reps Paul brought along..

47107094.jpg

88383776.jpg

20409958.jpg

MBK - these was the less busy times ! Be warned.. not one for the faint hearted ;)

22243610.jpg

45785116.jpg

Thought I'd share a couple non watch related photos, with over 2000 I took - these are a veryyyyy small random collection

Tuka-tuk-tuk

10283755.jpg

From the country that gave the world Redbul.. here's Redbull extra :Jumpy: ... i'll stick to the original one

21666853.jpg

Street food at its finest

77292778.jpg

Le Meridien Surawong road - very funky cool hotel

96116961.jpg

The view from our bed at the Aleenta Beach Resort in Pranburi - a great place for honeymooners or those wishing to get away from it all

29495542.jpg

Great write up, exper! I love posts like this, as I can live vicariously through the adventures that our great forum members partake on. Almost feels like I'm there to experience it myself :)

I'll probably be visiting and revisiting this thread to read through again and again.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

try the m&m shop on the 3rd flore!!! its no. 61/7 beside the mangpong music shop!!

pure is the guy that will show you high grade watches in awesome quality!!

his phone nr: 081-3765844!!

+1

he has everything...and will tell you if its good quality or not.

Nahpiek is still the man for vintage rollies.

they both love me...lol

• 1 month later...

I'll be there next week for 2 days... any new tips :)

thanks narikaa for yours already.... will be very helpful I guess :)

btw.... what percentage of a dealers price do I have to expect to pay there? Guess for non locals it could be difficult to get a "reasonable" price?

Edited by oberblender