When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Can One Find A Fair Price ?

namor

Don't get me wrong - we have posting rules for Offers-Section and I respect them. That's the reason why I'm asking here...

There are some unique watches or special packages not comparable to the offers of our Dealers - you can get nowhere a price to compare ! And if you post your offer without price - just to collect Ideas..? Then it's not within the rules...

Any Ideas ?

Don't quite understand what you are getting at. Posting prices is good for the consumer. In general, dealers will improve on the general price if you are a frequent customer so you are not losing that. Also cuts down on folks who are not so scrupulous. It even helps individual sellers understand what is a reasonable price to ask. If working on unique projects or ideas a number of folks including dealers here will often reach out to the forum or select members to gauge interest. If you are trying to get a premium because it is a differentiated product just say it.:)

Unique pieces are always very difficult to determine a fair price for (at least for me it is). This is part of the reason why I would prefer to either keep the watches that I have, or sell them to a small group of friends who I know will appreciate the watch for a low price (those watches never make it to the trading forums, and they don't come up often ;) ).

Quite honestly... I don't like selling anything if I don't have to ;)

As in any business, the sale price of an item is directly related to the wholesale price. Wholesale price plus profit margin equals retail price. If you can make 30% to 50% on an item you are doing very well. For example, if you buy 5 watches at $100 each wholesale, you should sell them for no more than $150.

If you are selling a used item in good condition you should discount it at least 20 to 25% from what you paid.

Unique pieces are always very difficult to determine a fair price for (at least for me it is). This is part of the reason why I would prefer to either keep the watches that I have, or sell them to a small group of friends who I know will appreciate the watch for a low price (those watches never make it to the trading forums, and they don't come up often ;) ).

Quite honestly... I don't like selling anything if I don't have to ;)

Nor do I !!! But sometimes you have to... :wounded1::wounded1::wounded1:

Yes, thats the best method - I do the same. But after all, sometimes you still have the watch and then ?

As in any business, the sale price of an item is directly related to the wholesale price. Wholesale price plus profit margin equals retail price. If you can make 30% to 50% on an item you are doing very well. For example, if you buy 5 watches at $100 each wholesale, you should sell them for no more than $150.

If you are selling a used item in good condition you should discount it at least 20 to 25% from what you paid.

You don't get me right...

I know very well how the regular pricebuilding works - but thats not always the case...

For example: If one has a Omega SMP from the legendary batch in good or even new condition ?

These pieces are unique meanwhile - why should one discount them ? That would be not very clever...

For example: If one has a Omega SMP from the legendary batch in good or even new condition ?

These pieces are unique meanwhile - why should one discount them ? That would be not very clever...

Or you have a modified watch, like when my GST has a gen dial it'll be a The Zigmeistered FrankenGST. Should i consider it as a $160 watch? It'll have almost $250 of parts and labour added to it.

I'm thinking of trying to add value to watches, not remove it. Maybe the next watch I sell will come with a signed hardback 16-page book of photographs of that watch and a CD of high-res pics. :D

One can do a little research as there're numerous postings on mod also the costs associated with it :) Fair price? I don't think you can get any as many have modded their piece to the max where lots of efforts and time especially procuring those genuine or aftermarket parts :):thumbsupsmileyanim: My take is more towards the little details that put into that watch and pull the trigger if you're comfortable with that pricing :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Frankensteins are very difficult to determine price on. Namor- You and I both know what goes into these things... But sometimes it's hard for someone to understand or appreciate that value unless they've done or attempted a similar project, and know what they involve.

Only thing I can suggest is to pull together a list of mods/work/upgrades done on the watch. Total it all up with the cost of the watch included in that figure. Based on that price, figure out what you think is acceptable for such a piece, and determine two figures- What you'd ideally want for the watch (high end of the scale), and what you'd actually accept as the lowest price (low end of the scale). Perhaps you can base your pricing as somewhere in between those two high/low figures. Unfortunately, there really isn't any really easy way to determine value... So, that's why I consider the tangible items, as well as overall condition, etc. and factor in depreciation. However, if the watch is not an easy one to build due to technical difficulty, hard to find parts, etc. I also take those aspects into consideration. Short answer to a long problem... This is a very difficult value to determine.

This is why I keep most of the watches that I make. It's too much work for my brain to process ^_^

I know very well how the regular pricebuilding works - but thats not always the case...

If you do not feel like you should discount my advise would be to not. I understand that as a seller, you feel disadvantaged in not knowing how to set a fair price for a unique product, but as a consumer, I would feel the same way in making an offer. So it is a conundrum.. niether the buyer nor the seller know how to set a fair price... however, in a free market it is ususally the responsiblility of the seller to be the price giver. By not posting a price, you transfer this responsiblity to the buyer.. I guess that is not the worst thing that can happen, but as a potential buyer, I kinda feel like this is not my job. Even on e-bay there are minimun bids and for many products "buy it now" prices. I agree with the previous poster that posting prices is better for the consumer. I also kind of worry that if you do not, you change the whole dynamic of the board and our little closed market. I mean, members are allowed to post without a price, it kind of places our dealers who are required to post with prices in a disadvantageous position too. Still, I get your point it is a delicate process.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet with total cost of each watch keeping up with things like shipping, mods, etc. When the project takes a few months and the watch in question is in new condition, I don't see anything wrong with asking the price you paid for everything.

The buyer is being saved many hours of work and weeks of waiting.

I must agree Namor....

When you have a unique piece you can`t count with normal or comparable prices...

If you love some of those pieces it's hard to count in money....

I think when you not a dealer there is no reason to tell a price....

Lets go Admins,change the rules... :D

RG Tribal

That's what marketing text is all about. If you feel your watch or package is unique, you should explain why in your offer, e.g.: "This is NOT the same SMP offered by our dealers. This watch is from the legendary batch that has the correct hands and is in mint condition. Also, I am including a genuine dial-- therefore my price of XXX USD is firm."

If people don't understand why the price is different it's because they don't understand why your watch is worth more than "stock" pieces-- and proboably wouldn't be willing to pay more whether they have to PM you for the price or see it in your offer.

Personally, back when pricing on RWG was optional in the members section, if I didn't see a price listed in an offer I clicked the "back" button, never to return...

Also, maybe because I'm such a poor negotiator or maybe because only a few buyers care whether their watches are improved from 98% to 99%, I've never gotten back the money I've put into heavily modded watches.