When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I just re-lumed my first dial :)

TeeJay

Nothing to be getting excited over, but I figured I'd have a go at re-luming the dial of my vintage sub. Yes, I loved the coffee color the markers had scorched, but, their luminousity was non-existent, and as that's such a crucial aspect of a dial for me, I felt it was time to up the ante and try my hand at something new. I'll preface this, by saying that painting is probably the artistic medium I am least comfortable and practiced with. (It would be fair to say I don't paint at all, other than spray cans or abstract brushwork)

Overall, I am relatively happy with the results. I wouldn't say I re-lumed it 100% successfully, as it took me a few attempts to get the paint consistency correct, and that lead to a few smudges during removal. After two attempts, I decided to try grinding the paint pestle and mortar-style to get a smoother consistency, and that went on nicely :) It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm more happy that not with the results, and for a first attempt, and considering I did it without any magnification, I definitely think things could have gone worse. I'm looking at it this way: I don't feel the need to replace the dial, so feeling more :victory: than :wounded1: over the outcome :) In addition to painting the lume into place, once the paint was partially dry, I used the flat side of the screwdriver of my pocket knife to apply a very gentle, even pressure, just to help flatten out the paint, which was more 'sausage-like', than I would have liked. I'm not sure if I'd re-lume a dial again, but I wouldn't totally rule it out if I really needed to do so on a project :) One thing I did as preperation, and which I found very helpful, was I practiced with the printing on a promotional flyer, to get myself 'into the zone' of tiny applications, and sharp edges :) The glare from the flash has made the smudges appear worse than they are to the naked eye, and the dark 'sploches' on the dial are where I rubbed over it with the oils on my skin to create a little texture, which again, is nowhere near as severe to the naked eye :)

My 'workstation'

DSCN2416.jpg

Steady...

DSCN2415.jpg

Outcome:

DSCN2414.jpg

Closeup outcome showing smudges...

DSCN2413.jpg

Looks a LOT better than MY first attempt! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was told for my next attempt to use an oiler (movement oiler) to apply the lume, it is easier to put it where you want it. I am going to practice on a coke can, going over the fine print, same ideas as your flier.

Keep at it, I plan to, no reason we can't learn to do it as well as anyone, it simply takes patience, experience and the right tools!

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback, amigos :) The lume I used, was Revell Night Color, which, in it's 'natural state', is pretty gritty in texture, so I think I'd certainly be interested to try with proper lume powder and clear nail varnish (if that's the correct mix) as I think I'd get a much smoother application. I think this is just one of those things which requires practice, practice, and more practice :)

[Edit to add]

Here's a quick shot showing how it looks cased up and on the wrist :)

DSCN2421.jpg

Thanks guys :) I don't think my cat would be very happy if I took one of her whiskers... Does this look like a cat that can take a joke?

IMG_0045.jpg

I definitely think I'm going to keep practicing, it'll be interesting to see what kind of results I can achieve :)

Welcome to the re-lume club. I also did a re-lume a few weeks back and although it looks kind of rough under magnification, it appears OK under normal viewing.

Here is a link to my re-lume post:

http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/104354-my-first-lume-job/page__view__findpost__p__719980__fromsearch__1

Anyway, you should post a few "glow-in-the-dark" shots, teh "money shot" so to speak.

That cat looks as if it just ate a guinea pig. And it wasn't even hungry.

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die........

Johnny Cash

Yup, that's how she rolls :D My mother in law can't pick her up without getting choddled on, but she never bites me :D

Good kitty.

She adopted me as 'her human' as soon as I met my wife. One thing's for sure, she's got character :)

TJ.. I have stock rep dials lying around.. maybe you can use them to practice your lume.. ???

AC

Lani

Thanks for the offer, bro, I have a few spare dials lying about already (flat vintage and 'raised' modern) so I'm okay for practice materials, but the offer is very much appreciated :) I figure if I keep practicing on flyers and magazine pages, that'll hone the skill for when I come to work on a dial :) I saw a budget IWC Twin Crown watch a while back, which I liked the look of, except for the yellow lume on the hand and bezel. If I could get my skill enough to re-lume the bezel, I'd be happy, and tempted to get one of the watches :lol:

Thanks for the offer, bro, I have a few spare dials lying about already (flat vintage and 'raised' modern) so I'm okay for practice materials, but the offer is very much appreciated :) I figure if I keep practicing on flyers and magazine pages, that'll hone the skill for when I come to work on a dial :) I saw a budget IWC Twin Crown watch a while back, which I liked the look of, except for the yellow lume on the hand and bezel. If I could get my skill enough to re-lume the bezel, I'd be happy, and tempted to get one of the watches :lol:

OK... :)

but when you are ready and "able" I will send you a Pam (sausage) that I have never worn.,.. in appreciation for all the graphics you have done for our raffles and what not..

but I'll give you some time to get to where you can handle it..

maybe around your 1 year anniversary.. B)

AC

Lani

Pam (sausage)

I think RG regarded that dial, in terms of 're-lume', as the one that separates 'the men from the boys' to get done well. Like a practical exam. 'Sandwich' for obvious reasons is a primer. I've seen excellent results there from first timers.

'Lanikai', your Slevin, did RG do that one? Those first ten minutes of the inner bezel. Like running through Laos 1968. In bare feet. Hazardous. Leave it to the pros.

I think RG regarded that dial, in terms of 're-lume', as the one that separates 'the men from the boys' to get done well. Like a practical exam. 'Sandwich' for obvious reasons is a primer. I've seen excellent results there from first timers.

'Lanikai', your Slevin, did RG do that one? Those first ten minutes of the inner bezel. Like running through Laos 1968. In bare feet. Hazardous. Leave it to the pros.

ZM did the lume, and I have no doubt that anyone could have done it as better .. or even attempted to... especially with SL

I'm very happy with it .. the macro lens brings out dust that I cannot even see with the naked eye.. making no excuse because for RH .. no one needs to.. :)

AC

Lani

Good job, I ain't worked up the nerve for that one, yet! Reckon we just need to start calling you "der dialmeister"! ;) As far as the cat, she looks like she has absolutely not even a trace of a sense of humor. My Maine Coon tom gets a look like that right before he decides bits of you are a chew-toy...

OK... :)

but when you are ready and "able" I will send you a Pam (sausage) that I have never worn.,.. in appreciation for all the graphics you have done for our raffles and what not..

but I'll give you some time to get to where you can handle it..

maybe around your 1 year anniversary.. B)

AC

Lani

That would be much appreciated, bro B) I think I've got the basic technique figured out, it's just a case of getting fine enough control (possibly with a smaller brush/oiler/whisker :lol: ) and getting the right luming material, possibly to get a 'smoother paint'. Grinding the Night Color certainly made things easier, it'll be interesting to get round to other lume matierials in the future :)

Good for you TeeJay. That's something I wouldn't even attempt, and without a magnifier even.

ww

Many thanks :) I think I got to the point where I realized I should give it a go and see how I got on, just incase I ever needed to do it in the future :)

That's definitely what I'm thinking, but it gives me a clear goal to aim for, in terms of technique :) I didn't take any photos (but can do so tomorrow) but I also re-lumed a set of GMT hands, one of which, being my DIY 'Lollipop' hour hand. I was actually surprised at how easily the lume suspended itself across the gap, the surface tension of the paint must be pretty good :)

Good job, I ain't worked up the nerve for that one, yet! Reckon we just need to start calling you "der dialmeister"! ;) As far as the cat, she looks like she has absolutely not even a trace of a sense of humor. My Maine Coon tom gets a look like that right before he decides bits of you are a chew-toy...

Thanks amigo, but I'm no dailmeister, I wouldn't even say a 'gifted amateur', just someone who got lucky :lol::tu: So far, the dial passes the 'two foot rule', but I won't be happy with my work until it can stand up to close scrutiny :)

It's funny just how snappy Rosie can be, as with me, she's like the white Persian in the Bond movies and never bites, but any time my mother in law tries to pick her up (and she is really her cat) she always gets bitten :D

Glad to see more and more members attempting mod work. Good show for your first attempt.

You would have much better success if you were using Tritec Super Lume and applying it with an oiler. If your going to practice more, you should do so with something where you can improve you skills. Paint brushes and dials don't mix, and using anything other than the real stuff makes it even that much harder.

With your artistic talent, and the correct product and tools in hand, you'll be an expert in no time.:)

Glad to see more and more members attempting mod work. Good show for your first attempt.

You would have much better success if you were using Tritec Super Lume and applying it with an oiler. If your going to practice more, you should do so with something where you can improve you skills. Paint brushes and dials don't mix, and using anything other than the real stuff makes it even that much harder.

With your artistic talent, and the correct product and tools in hand, you'll be an expert in no time.:)

Thanks indeed, that really means a lot coming from the Master :) I want to eventually 'move up' to SuperLume, my only concerns at present were the costs, and if I could actually paint accurately enough to do it. I was impressed by the luminous qualities of the Night Color that Slartibartfast used on the Tudor Snowflake dials, (not lightsaber-bright, but certainly a decent duration of visibility, and ideal for my needs) so I figured a bottle of that wouldn't break the budget for a trial run :)

Here's a photo of the hands I lumed at the same time as the dial, but forgot to photo yesterday. I guess a Tudor GMT will be a required project at some point :lol:

DSCN2434.jpg