When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best digital camera between $300- 450...

OmegaPOFL

Hello fellow members.. :)

I've been on the hunt for a nice compact-ish camera for a while now. I haven't read up on it much, but from what i've read.. i have come to 3 camera's that i think are pretty solid choices..

Canon S90 (which should be out now)

Panasonic DMC ZS3S (or any of the other 5 different models that look and have basically the same tech) or LX3

Ricoh CX2

i would like video shooting, also like macro mode (so i can win some of the photography contests here :p)

If you have any other choices, please let me know and why! my price range is $300-450

please help!! :(

I have a Pentax K2000 digital SLR which has a street price in your neighborhood. It is physically smallish for an SLR, is very fast from power on to first shot, and uses AA batteries which makes it convenient when not around your charger.

I still contend that it is not the camera (any competent 4MP p&s will do), but the photographer that makes the picture.

Most of my pics are taken with a 6-7 year old Canon A80 (4MP) p&s & I think they look pretty good. I do use my Canon DSLR in low light & for those shots that require more (natural) depth. But, most of the time, the A80 is sufficient.

I also like the Panasonic LX3 (I had 1 on order when my A80 died, but Canon repaired it (free) & Dell kept delaying shipment of the Panasonic, so, in the end, I just canceled the order & stuck with my A80). On the other hand, I almost bought a Nikon D60 & would have been happy with that.

Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciate it!!

redwatch! my dad goes to that site so much, especially after he bought his D300.

I would be all over the new canon S90, if it had HD video shooting capability... even if it was 720p.

After much thought, i don't think i care about the video shooting, because the main reason for my camera is to take excellent photographs...

and i believe either the Canon S90 or Lumix LX3 will do the job...

now it's just a matter of which...

I read numerous reviews on-line, as well as buying guides, before buying mine and the research really helped. Google and you shall receive knowledge...

i'm not really looking for a DSLR jmb... because my dad has an awesome D300 Nikon..

i want something pocketable, that i can take anywhere and cheap enough that my dad wouldn't be really mad if something happened to it :p

anyone know if Panasonic is coming out with a LX4? because the LX3 is more than a year old isn't it?

i want something pocketable, that i can take anywhere and cheap enough that my dad wouldn't be really mad if something happened to it :p

anyone know if Panasonic is coming out with a LX4? because the LX3 is more than a year old isn't it?

The 2 limiting factors with the LX3 are its relatively measly zoom (only 2.5x) & its relatively large size (for a p&s). The lens on the LX3 does not fully collapse into the body like many p&s cameras & this makes it difficult to slide the camera into a pocket.

The 2 limiting factors with the LX3 are its relatively measly zoom (only 2.5x) & its relatively large size (for a p&s). The lens on the LX3 does not fully collapse into the body like many p&s cameras & this makes it difficult to slide the camera into a pocket.

On the plus side, the optics are class-leading and the picture quality is, from the samples I've seen, top-notch.

The rumors have the LX4 coming out in the middle of 2010. I'm going to try to hold out for that release...

AWW man..

that makes sense... i don't know if i can hold out..

i love the aesthetic view of the LX3.. it's a semi-pro's camera..

whereas the canon's control ring tech. is pretty damn sweet.. and offers more zoom and is overall friendlier i think..

some pics:

Canon on the left and LX3 on right

2z4zhwi.jpg

14wwui1.jpg

I used to be into photography in the old days, I still have a Nikon F3 set with motor drives and lenses, but haven't used it since the dawn of the digital age. After messing about with a variety of Canons, Olympus and Sony cameras, I got a Kodak Z712is a couple of years back and haven't looked back. I has a host of awesome features, video shooting, 12X optical zoom, and this fantastic panoramic shooting that does in camera stitching that rivals Photoshop's stitching abilities. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The only complaint I have about it is the relatively restrictive macro shooting, but at 7.1 mpixels, it was a relatively easy job to just crop the image to get in closer.

The a couple of weeks ago my wife wanted a camera that was not as "bulky", something she could put in her purse, so I bought her a Kodak M341. This is a 12.2 mpixels, has a 3x optical zoom and is flat as a pancake. The reason I got it is because it has most of the features I loved about the other Kodak (video, panoramic shots, and a host of predefined shooting modes.

The real good news about it is the macro capability. This camera has a superior macro to the Z712is. And then there's the price $150. I think you could do worse for a lot more money, but I doubt you can do better than this camera at this price.

Here are a couple of macro shots. The photos were shrunk down to 1024x768, but were not retouched. The original image size was 4000 x 3000 pixels. The photos were taken using the Macro preset with auto-focus, which allows you to get in about 3 inches away from the subject. Any closer than that the camera can't auto-focus. You'll probably need a real SLR with a macro lens to get in closer than this.

Click each image for the higher res.

macro%202sm.jpg macro%203sm.jpg

BTW, anyone interested in a Nikon F3 with a bunch of accessories and lenses?

S90 S90 S90 S90

I own the D-Lux 3, D-Lux 4, C-Lux 2, C-Lux 3 and the S90 blows them all out the water. It's the best compact point & shoot out right now. Now if only Sigma would not half-way revamp their quasi-full frame compact... Or better yet, if Leica would really design a full-frame compact point & shoot...

Btw, it is very important to note that the protruding lens and the ridiculous lens cap on the Lumix/D-Lux are total deal breakers. The camera is NOT pocketable. It's hard to hold, the very silly pop-up flash needs to be constantly manually popped up (it's not auto up). It is a cool looking camera but it is an ergonomic nightmare. Truly the worst handling camera ever. Take this into consideration. I have 2 custom made leather shoulder cases that a longtime Leica case maker made for me. These cases help a bit with the transport of the Lumix/D-Lux but it is still a pain in the buttocks. I actually find that my Leica Minilux is much quicker to pull out of it's custom shoulder case and snap a 35mm film pic. The optics on theses digital models are fairly poor as well. The folks that rave about them I think are not regular full-frame shooters. Get the S90! It's the best compromise for small sized sensor cameras.

Please post some results when you get your new S90! I would love to see them. I have a G9 for my point and shoot, and my D40 for more serious stuff. The G9 is awesome, but like the Panasonic, it is not something you can just shove into your pocket. I may look to sell off the G9 and replace it with the S90