When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Au vintage love

JoJo35

During my never ending quest for vintage, I've found that my taste have changed to include all of the beautiful vintage pieces rolex made. After a good friend of mine picked up a color-change Au 1680 (with the original gold rivet bracelet no less!), I knew I had to keep my eyes open for some vintage gold.

I got pretty lucky finding this piece, and like many of my other finds, it was purely by chance.

This is an extremely rare bird, being one of the earliest of 1601 datejusts with a 742XXX serial number, putting production into mid 1961. Complete with original white matte radium pie-pan, original hands, a roulette that's in perfect new condition, the original and correctly date stamped jubilee, and of course solid 18k throughout.

:)

Ros, Vly, and Lani, thanks for your kind comments :)

Vly, of course I'll take you shopping... hmm... let's see.... 47th St, 53rd and 5th, 5th avenue, 57th st, the Bowery... ;) Of course any day in the city makes a great day; maybe we can even convince Stephane to take another trip over here and come along :D

Lani, you're right about that deep look 18k has, and this piece is 100% :drinks:

Lani, you're right about that deep look 18k has, and this piece is 100% :drinks:

Can't help returning to look at the gold !!.. back in the day goldsmiths used more pure gold and not too many alloys.. this colour borders on the more pure "k" they use back them .. today the gold is filled with more alloys..and is lighter in colour

your piece looks to border the 24k "jewelry" line.. (pure gold would look copper-ish in colour, and be too soft)yours does have a hint of the copper colour.. :wub: .. this is a great example of the purity of the gold back then...

AC

Lani

Ros, Vly, and Lani, thanks for your kind comments :)

Vly, of course I'll take you shopping... hmm... let's see.... 47th St, 53rd and 5th, 5th avenue, 57th st, the Bowery... ;) Of course any day in the city makes a great day; maybe we can even convince Stephane to take another trip over here and come along :D

Exactly what I was thinking !

But I would need more watch cash to get such a beauty.

I'm sure I'll be in NYC again, the question is when :(

It's funny you're going for gold.

I have a friend's Dad who has a Steel/Gold date just.

Since I bought my first steel one, I'm looking all over the place to get a TT but with Oyster Bracelet, not Jubilee.

Congrats on this one too Jojo...you're going to have to buy a new safe indeed !!!

Exactly what I was thinking !

But I would need more watch cash to get such a beauty.

I'm sure I'll be in NYC again, the question is when :(

It's funny you're going for gold.

I have a friend's Dad who has a Steel/Gold date just.

Since I bought my first steel one, I'm looking all over the place to get a TT but with Oyster Bracelet, not Jubilee.

Congrats on this one too Jojo...you're going to have to buy a new safe indeed !!!

Thanks my friend!

I've seen some nice gold date-just on the 'bay, and TT subs are fairly common there. Just pick your year, and start searching. Last year I picked up an "A" series TT sub with black dial, all original condition with nicely toned tritium hands and dial. Last week I took a day off and visited Rolex on 5th avenue. While getting my gold datejust authenticated (after all, provenance is king in the vintage world), I also brought along my TT sub for factory service :)

If you do pick up a TT, next time you visit Manhattan bring it along for factory service on 5th Ave ;)

a roulette

THAT'S IT!!

Sorry, we were discussing Turn-O-Graph's in another thread JJ. I thought I totally fabricated the Roulette date wheel in my convoluted head.................

This is a gorgeous DateJust. The 'classiest'. So very happy for you. Goes without saying, but, Enjoy!