When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Seconds at 9" OK?

jmb

F, I've read all the horror stories about the A7750 Seconds at 6 - that's why I bought an a21j version! I can put up with faux chronos better than an inoperative watch! Trevorwatch (I know, not trusted here but is on RWI and the geek) has the seconds at 9 A7750 for $175! I think I'm gonna jump on one unless somebody can give me a good reason not to. Do all of the 7750 versions have the incorrect subdial spacing? Since it won't have the "abortion bridge" will the seconds at 9 have the proper slimmer case?

This is the one I'm thinking about:

http://www.trevorwatch.info/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_9_16&products_id=315

So many questions, so little time...

I have owned a FG Daytona, seconds-at-nine, from Silix for about 2 years. Runs great, though I don't wear it often. You should know Robert (PWC, T4D) has a sale on his seconds-at-nine Tonas.

To my knowledge, they all have the incorrect subdial spacing. Doesn't bother me because I love the Daytona.

I thought I'd read that about the spacing but wasn't 100%sure, hopefully it won't be as noticeable on the wrist as it does in all of these macro shots we've grown so fond of. Makes me wonder if that's why some people never seem to be happy/satisfied with whatever rep they are looking at!

I'll check out Robert but $175 is about as cheap as I've ever seen... I'm gonna do it!

I had one j and it ran well when I owned it and still runs well for the new owner. The subdial spacing was not an issue for me until I tried a sec @ 6 (which died after 9 mos) then I decided I wouldn't, couldn't, go back to the flawed dial.

What's the stall with the modified 7750 that would retain secs @9 but tighten subdial spacing here? That bit of news was a tease. There are a lot of great watches that could benefit from that mvmnt.

Seconds at 9:00 7750 is reliable as it doesn't require any tricks or modifications to shift the subdial functions around (save for the minute counter from 12:00 to 3:00). The critical running seconds subsidiary stays right where it was intended to be, so no major issues or concerns there.

The spacing of the subdials is where you'll encounter the visual flaw, but if that doesn't bother you, you'll have a very solid performer.

Hike, I ordered from tr..., he gave me an additional discount on both the watch AND shipping since I'm a repeat customer...

ubi, is it a correct statement, then, that any Daytona using the A7750 movement will have incorrect subdial spacing or is it ONLY on the seconds at 9? The spacing won't bother me too much as the only time I'll wear it (probably) is when I know I might need a stopwatch. The beater Sub will stay on the wrist during working hours...

jmb-

I would say that most any A7750 with the seconds at 9:00 will suffer the subdial spacing flaw. I say most, as there appears to be a new 7750 sec@9:00 out there used in the Zenith Defy reps that appear to have the correct subdial spacing; I would not be surprised to see that movement incorporated into a Daytona rep at some point, but I haven't any idea if those are reliable movements or not (since the subdials have to be relocated, albeit only slightly).

The Daytona rep with the modified A7750 relocating the seconds to 6:00 does have the correct subdial spacing; the major concern with these is the longvity and reliability of the movement modifications.

Probably the close sub spacing 7750 would be much thicker verus the zenith. It will result in a thicker case. The gen has a pretty slim case.

I concur with this. The Daytona case is relatively thin, all things considered.

For subdial comparison- Here is a 7750 sec@9:00 Daytona rep from King's site:

ROLEX-238.jpg

And here is my Zenith powered 16520, which is probably the closest model that the sec@9:00 would replicate:

IMG_4132.jpg

The dial on your Franken (which is drop-dead gorgeous) has about the same spacing than that on my a21j, at least visually. I think I can live with the wider spacing (hoping for the new movement you mentioned) and maybe it won't be as noticeable on the black faced dial. At least the case should be slimmer than the seconds at 6 since there is no additional bridge, correct?

Maybe WM9 is planning to fix the wrong subdial spacing because he is planning to create one wm9 16520! maybe within next 10 years...

In fact the plans are on the table

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/ProjectLog/projectlog.htm

However i seriously doubt the 7753 ( http://www.watchmaker9.tv/latest_news.htm ) has the same subdial spacing as the zenith movement.

Edited by slickdick