When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cubic Works Date Wheel

jmb

I received my date wheel from Cubic Works ( http://www.cubic-works.com/ ) yesterday and will probably try to glue it onto one of the new tall canon 4813 movements I recently received from eurotimez. When I asked about date wheels the suggestion for this part indicated it was OK but had open sixes and nines. They have appartently change their design as I received a wheel with closed sizes and nines.

This is what it looks like:

post-24124-125623169904_thumb.jpg

post-24124-125623172416_thumb.jpg

Most likely into my Noobmariner so I suspect that makes it "modern". They have another date wheel which is sort of "yellowed" which might be for vintage pieces...

The 'old' datewheels from Cubic Works w/ the open 6's and 9's are a thing of the past, I believe. For the last 2-3 years it's been the modern datewheels. Kinda like lugholes in Sub cases, they've all but disappeared. China is going modern!

alli, I noticed that. The picture on their web site shows open 6 and 9 but what I received is closed. Maybe if I e-mailed them they might have some "old stock" laying around for vintage projects.

Slick, Oh, didn't know there was a difference the picture just looks like it was a simulated "age yellowing".

Why can't they leave a good thing be!!??

Most of the threads that reference Cubic's datewheels contain disclaimers (from those who purchased them) warning that, contrary to the pics on their website, the date wheels they are shipping out have closed 6s & 9s. However, as others have said, the Noob is a copy of a current model, which uses closed 6/9 fonts on its datewheel, so you should be fine.

Guidelines for Rolex Datewheel colors

• Steel watches always have datewheels with a white background
  • Yellow gold & two-tone watches always have datewheels with a champagne (tan/yellowish) background

If you are looking at a gen & it does not follow these guidelines, then it is either not a gen or the movement has been recased. This is 1 of the few rules for which I have yet to see an (proven) exception.

alli, I noticed that. The picture on their web site shows open 6 and 9 but what I received is closed. Maybe if I e-mailed them they might have some "old stock" laying around for vintage projects.

It's worth a try. Another option might be to ask Chris at Eurotimez if he could get the old MBW datewheel w/ open 6/9's- not the new older one w/ flat-top 3's and open 6/9's. The open 6/9's, round top 3's was used for 16800's, 16014's, 16013's and 16030's- all the models from the 80's that used the 3035 movt.

Freddy's rules are generally true, but even Rolex doesn't always follow them! For example, the FG YM 16628 with the white dial and black onyx markers usually has a white datewheel. But trying to figure out Rolex can be tough.

Freddy's rules are generally true, but even Rolex doesn't always follow them! For example, the FG YM 16628 with the white dial and black onyx markers usually has a white datewheel. But trying to figure out Rolex can be tough.

Thanks, Alli. That IS definitely an exception, which shows 1 of the holes in my modern Rolex knowledgebase. I stand corrected. :notworthy:

Slick, when I was in the computer industry I was on the engineering change control board for a major manufacturer and changes like this were titled "cost reduction"...

Slick, your English is just fine, cost reduction is "bean-counter" for "streamlining the production line in order to maximize profit"! ;) Plus, they were probably tired of creating "collector's items" because their highly skilled workforce put the wrong parts in on occasion! :rofl: