When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BK Modded, Rexulated LV Sub

redwatch

Hi Folks,

So several weeks ago, Tanya posted a Submariner 50th anniversary in the watches section. I jumped on it, and it was delivered a couple of weeks ago. I happen to have a Gen set of Maxi Hands that have been modded to fit an ETA movement and I have been waiting to find time to install them. Well today was the day! I have installed the hands and they look awesome on the watch.

First off, here is a few pics before I modded the watch:

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

New GEN Hands:

IMG_1439.jpg

Movement removed and prepped for hand removal:

IMG_1441.jpg

So the watch was re-lumed originally. Movement was regulated by Rex. All mods to the watch (aside from the Gen hands) were done by BK.

Here are the results:

DSC_0846.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

DSC_0854.jpg

Lume Shot - F4 @ 1.6 seconds :thumbsupsmileyanim: You can see the difference between the re-lume markers and the new Gen hands, but I still like it.

DSC_0858-1.jpg

And of course, the wristi:

DSC_0859.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

@JoJo - not sure of what else I will do at this point. Any suggestions?

I think the most noticeable and gratifying would be a better insert and a gen pearl. Besides that, you could go for a gen crown/tube, and maybe even try to find a better crystal that doesn't have the etched crown.

JJ

I got the hands when I purchased my WM9 v1 sub from Star69. It came on an LV dial and Gen maxi hands. My guess is they were enlarged for that project to fit the ETA movement. I swapped the dial and movement with a noob sub and kept the hands for a future project (turns out - this one).

I also agree JoJo. A better crystal would be nice. The etched coronet is pretty obvious. The insert to my eyes looks pretty good, but the pearl definitely needs to go. A gen crown and tube would be a nice addition. That may be the way to go! Good call on that one! The current tube definitely feels like it's about to strip. I need to be ultra careful with it in the mean time.

This watch looks fantastic. For about $15 you could install a WM pearl, and sand the insert while you have it out. It sits too high, which I immediately noticed. The bezel lip should be higher. With that simple easy mod you have a killer watch, and I'd be done with it.

Excellent suggestion P4! I think I will do that for sure.

@CharlieUK - the minute hand seems to have a slightly thicker area around the lume on the Gen. Also, the lume itself is much brighter than on the rep hands (in spite of the fact that they have been re-lumed). Also, there is something just "shiny-er" about the gen hands. Hard to capture in a photo, but the gen hands do stand out more to me than the rep.