When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Steel with interesting 'feature'!

moggy

Hi guys, when I set the time on my BS the minute hand doesn't move for a minute after setting. i.e. I set the minute hand on 12, wait for the time source minute to also reach 12 then push the crown in to restart the watch. When the time source is showing 1 min past mine is still sitting at 12. When the source shows 2 min past mine now shows 1 min past. If I set the time a minute fast then after 1 min everything is equal. Any info as too why? I might add that I know of one other BS that does the same thing. :confused:

B) Bob.

I would put this down to the play in the gearing between the hour and min wheels. it would be reasonable to assume that gearing made with older tooling would have more (or less depending on if they are stamped or cut) play than new tooling.

I have just had a play with

4 unitas/seagull 6498

3 2824s

and 2 A7750

and the 7750 has the most play in this area, and the seagull the least, maybe Ziggy or Francisco can explain if my theroy is correct and if some one can have a play with a swiss 7750 and see if that also has play.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes it has to do with play between the gears.

Also some gens have these kind of problems. For instance the minute hand of my gen Franck Muller, jumps forward a little when I push the crown back in.

Regarding the play you can try the following:

When you set the time, just set the minute hand a little too far and then turn it back to the right time.

so if it's 15 past, set it at 18 past and turn it back to 15 past.

The problem should be gone.