When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yuki Bond big crown case set

perry563

I just looked at the Yuki web site. That big crown BOND case set looks AMAZING! It LOOKS as if it comes with everything except the movement, dial and hands. Does anyone have experience with this setup? What could I use for the movement, dial and hands? Typical ETA would fit? Im thinking that I would buy this and then fit everything else myself and install the NATO strap! what a nice 50th BD present that would be....for me! Any help that can be given would be appreciated!

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago.

He makes them per order...

Mine should be here in about 2 days or so, so I'll have more info once it arrives.

I went ahead and ordered it with the riveted stretch bracelet in case I want to dress it up compared to my corvus NATO.

If you are willing to spend the time, effort & money, you can fit just about any movement into just about any case. But Yuki's cases are made to fit gen movements. Read this

As Freddy says many different movements can be made to fit many different cases but some with more time and effort that others.

Some of the more important dimensions you need to consider are the diameter of the movement and the stem height ( the distance from the front of the movement to where the winding stem enters.)

The modern ETA movements ( 2892 and 2824 ) are both 26mm in diameter but the Rolex movements are larger ( 28.5mm for the 15XX series and I think the same for the caliber 1030, somebody correct me if this is wrong )so you would need a spacer ring/adapter around the ETA movement. I have seen these but I don't know how easy they are to get.

The stem height of the ETA 2824 is 1.80mm, and the of the ETA 2892 is 1.50mm. I haven't been able to find the stem height of the Rolex 15XX or 1030, maybe someone else knows.

regards

TudorKing

Ok so what is the solution? If I buy the case what exactly do I need in addition to make my Bond sub ready to wear? The easy parts are the nato and springbars but where do I buy a decent dial that wont cost be am arm and leg? Where do I buy the hands? Which movement would be the best that will fit the case without major mods. also what does that case set cost?

I just heard back from Yuki. The price with dial is $850. I dont think thats bad at all. So all I then need are hands, movement, springbars and a Nato strap? How do I go about this in terms of movement and hands? (I can do the springbars and nato installation! LOL) This would be my ultimate 50th BD present if you guys can help me pull it off. Just how difficult will this be? Im ready to order the set today if I can get a clear way to make it all happen. Please advise.

Get yourself a Rolex 1030 movement and you're ready to go. I would check ebay for one of these- probably in a vintage watch. But expect to spend $1000-1500 and a couple of hundred to service it. Yuki can probably get you a hand set also.

If you're going to try to fit an ETA movement in there, buy an MBW/MBK 6538 instead and just do some mods. I agree w/ Freddy, if you're going the Yuki route, spend the money to build a correct franken.

Ok sounds logical. So please walk me through this step wise....Ok I have the case set and Yuki dial...now all I need is the movement and hands correct? Its then just dial onto movement and then install hands on dial/movement. Then the whole thing is placed into the case and then....????

A agree with Alligoat, do it right and make the BDay present more special with a gen movement. I tried the same path with an ETA in a highend Vietnamese 5517 case and while it worked, the stem alignment put too much stress on one side of the dial and it started to chip the face of the dial.

Classicwatchparts.com will have the proper 6536 choice of hands for a gen 1030 mvmt.

Good luck on your project! I have yet to finish mine, still need to have my mvmt repaired first. The movement drops right in my case from ND Trading -supposedly from the same source as Yuki.

26664897.jpg

Ok sounds logical. So please walk me through this step wise....Ok I have the case set and Yuki dial...now all I need is the movement and hands correct? Its then just dial onto movement and then install hands on dial/movement. Then the whole thing is placed into the case and then....????

OK, looking thru ebay, here's an OYSTER PERPETUAL watch w/ the 1030 movt. So far it's reasonably priced:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-1956-GENTS-S-S-ROLEX-OYSTER-PERPETUAL-WRISTWATCH_W0QQitemZ320438545603QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL?hash=item4a9ba02cc3

Then it's off to the watchmaker for a service and let him install the dial and hands (check Yuki for hands, if not, try Michael Young @ Classic Watch Parts), put the crown on the stem, install the movement, etc in the case. He may have to supply a few holddown tabs or a couple of screws, but it shouldn't be any big deal. Looks like Yuki's case come w/ the crown, bezel and insert and crystal. Should be fairly simple and pretty easy for any competent watchmaker.

Michael Young could probably get you a set of relatively unaged hands. But you might need someone like Ziggy to color match the hands and dial.

I don't know anything about the pearl, but once again, you might have to go to Michael Young for a better insert and pearl. You won't know till you have the yuki insert in hand.

I see that one website sells a completed 6538 with the Yuki case set and an installed 1030. I have asked for a price. Id rather go this route and have a completed watch in my hands...unless of course they are going to charge me an arm and a leg for it! I can see myself wearing this watch on a nato soon! Im pumped!

I would figure a completed 6538 is going to be expensive- at least $3500. Phong would want $4500 plus. If you do it yourself,

yuki case and dial $850

movement and service $1200-1700

hands, say $200

Install 50-100

So a rough estimate is $2300-2850, say. you might do it for less if you get a deal on the 1030 movt.

I spent somewhere between $2200-2500 building a 5508 a year ago from NDTrading. I quit keeping trade at some point!

Im going to bid on a 1030 movement. It says that the movement works but the "winder is slipping". Are parts for 1030 movements available? What are the odds that I buy this and it cant be fixed? Can any watchmaker work on a Rolex movemet or do I need to send to Rolex themselves. Help!

Any professional watchmaker can work on a Rolex, but getting parts (which, based on your description, may likely be required) may be a problem. A big problem.

1st, unless the watchmaker has a Rolex parts account, he will have to buy parts the same way you or I do (ebay, etc). Second, since alot of 1030 parts are scarce (Rolex has not made 1030 parts for many years), your watchmaker may end up having to return the movement to you as-is, if the parts required are unavailable (most watchmakers do not have the time/knowledge/patience to perform exhaustive searches for rare parts). Building frankens, especially vintage Rolex & especially when you have to rely on someone else to do the work, is a big gamble (&, potentially, a major bitch).

Freddy's right, Rolex hasn't made the 1030 in something like 50 years. You might want to ask the seller what he means by the winder not working- if the stem or crown is slipping, it might be simple to fix. If it's related to the auto-wind assembly, that could ba another matter. Parts are tough to find- I'm not even sure if Rolex has them anymore- they don't do much to support their vintage models- some RSC's won't even service the 1500 series movements.

Here's another 1030 I found- might be a better candidate- serviced not too long ago, in the USA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120483948891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ugggg....I bid on that watch with the 1030 movement but was overbid at the last second. Good thing anyway since your comments make me think twice. Let me ask this one more time since maybe there is something I am missing.....is everyone positivly saying that there is no eta movement that will fit this Yuki 6538 case? What about a 2893 GMT movement or the eta movement that is used in ladies rep datejusts? Although it would be great to have a 6538 with an original movement if parts are that hard to come by Ill take an eta anyday. Forgive me for asking this again but it does not jive in my mind that there are many non rolex movements that fit other Rolex rep cases but nothing but a 50 year old 1030 will fit in the Yuki case? I mean if I bought the case set and then sent it to The Zigmeister he could not install something else besides the original movement?

Perry, if you don't want to fool w/ a 1030 movt, and I can certainly understand why not, why not just get the MBW 6538 from Eurotimez? $400 plus s&h w/ a swiss eta.

You could make a few mods if you wanted, age it and be set to go.

If you buy a Yuki case and try to fit another movement in there, you'll be doing a lot of experimenting. No one else has done anything like that around here that I know of. you could easily blow $1K or 1500 and just have a bunch of parts.

The MBW Bond sub looks nothing like the Bond sub....horrible rep. IMO

BUT I found a web site that says they work with ND trading. They will make a BOND sub for me using ND trading parts. This includes a serviced 1030 movement. The cost is 3200 USD.

Is the ND trading case the same as Yuki?

What do you guys think of the price?

BUT I found a web site that says they work with ND trading. They will make a BOND sub for me using ND trading parts. This includes a serviced 1030 movement. The cost is 3200 USD.

Is the ND trading case the same as Yuki?

What do you guys think of the price?

They appear the same, but with slight differences in the engravings. The NDT case and dial run $2000. Why not see if your guys will build you 6538 w/ the Yuki case and dial- maybe you could save a grand- that would be a good deal.