When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to begin learning to do modifications?

heffy

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the beautiful world of watches and love the mix of art and precise engineering that goes into a watch (a well made one that is). I love just looking at watches for their beauty (since I was 6!) and now, have grown interested in watchmaking.

Now, of course, I'd have to go to a proper watchmaking school for that, and I can't just jettison my job (esp since I've just joined the workforce from school!) and go to switzerland/japan to learn watchmaking. So, I'll just learn it in my own time and I thought learning to modify or put together my own watch from parts would be a great baby step.

I feel fortunate to have found this forum where people appreciate similar interests - modify watches for self-satisfaction and also to search/make that "perfect replica". My friends give me a 'why the hell do you want to do that? just buy the real thing!' look when I tell them this but I gather they do not gain and are not able to appreciate the same satisfaction I will get if I can finally modify/put together a great watch or buy an excellent replica (of course I luuuurve the gen ones too).

So, anyway, the point is, how and where can I begin to learn how to do this? And what tools would be essential to start learning?

Thanks!

*edit - typo

Edited by heffy

You learn here.. we have all the best literature and members who mod..

first things first.. ...

Welcome .. to RWG..that is the first step.. then you are on your way..

spend some time reading.. it's all here and the greatest Community on the net

take your time .. suggest you do the intro in the intro section and you will be well on your way.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

L

Welcome!

Like Lani said, do A LOT of reading here. I have spent hours reading threads in our knowledge section. There is not only the best info here but the most complete, intelligent and outside the box thinking on how to do everything. I have been unable to find the wealth of knowledge that is here, any place else.

Myself being a engineer and loving all things mechanical, I have found hanging out here to be the perfect source for doing anything you could dream of. I am yet to find another forum (even ones that deal with Gen watches) that has the level of knowledge that some of our members like The Zigmeister, Francisco, Lani, Toad, the list goes on and on, have here.

:drinks:

Welcome to RWG!

Start practicing on cheap reps.

You'll probaby break or bend a couble of second hands and scratch a dial, before you feel confident to try some more advance modding.

Like Lani and Bike Mike said:

Everything you want to know and more is right here.

Hey,

As the others have noted; "You're here, you made it......" but you may want to consider <Time Zone Watch School> <<<<<link. It will give you a good basic primer and the skills you need to then 'think outside the box' and modify replicas. That is a back alley craft that is well and above classical watchsmithing. The on-line course is designed to be at your own pace and is very comprehensive.

Good luck, welcome.

Beautiful!

I agree, there's just soo much information here ( I feel lost looking at all the topics sometimes), though I haven't found a real beginner's guide to modifications. But I'll catch up guys, thanks for the advice...first thing I need to do is get some watch tools and spare movements, hands and casings. Then I can get cracking!

And thanks for welcoming me...I haven't read as much or been around as long as you guys, but before my first post, I had been reading this forum for a week everyday and I must say that the people here are a trustworthy and stand-up bunch, so it's great to be welcomed into this community.

There is no real beginner's guide per se, as it usually is centered around modding particular watches to fix flaws, or doing major things like fitting pocket watch movements in vintage PAM cases.

If you go to the Rolex section, there is a beginner guide to modding a Seadweller that might be a good intro to modding. I reposted AJS' post on swapping movements linked in my sig...Francisco has a section on mods, and of course El Zigmeister posts regularly on his mods.

If you are looking at a specific brand or mod, you can start asking questions and you'll get some better responses.

Heffy, I bought a butt-load of $35 - $50 Subs and stuff, read everything I could find about whatever operation I wanted to perform, and then jumped in and did it! Since the watch only cost $40 it didn't cause me palpitations if I screwed something up. I can provide you a link to a seller who is somewhat reliable as far as cheap "practice" watches goes... I've also enrolled in the timezone course but haven't had time to get very far into it yet.

But, I've just started on this journey and still have much to learn...