When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Bubble Back lovers out there?

JoJo35

A good friend and fellow vintage rolex enthusiast mentioned to me that the rolex collector community seems to admire different styles of rolex in cycles. He mentioned that is wasn't that long ago when bubble backs were still all the rage, and were very much the "it" watches in the collector community.

I'll be honest, I've never really thought much about it until recently. Until now, I've focused mainly on the sports and tool watches.

Maybe because I'm getting a little older now, my tastes for sports watches has been fulfilled, or perhaps because now I've learned enough to appreciate much more than I used to.

Recently, I've had the opportunity to open the door to some true vintage. In this case, a 100% original 1952 6084 Semi-Bubble Back. IMO, for a 57 year old watch, this piece is in astounding condition. With nice clean sharp edges on the case lugs, and the very rare original "super oyster" crown (most of these crowns were replaced with screw down twin-locs upon servicing). This piece also has a set of beautiful alpha hands, and a blue steel second hand. :)

A good friend and fellow vintage rolex enthusiast mentioned to me that the rolex collector community seems to admire different styles of rolex in cycles. He mentioned that is wasn't that long ago when bubble backs were still all the rage, and were very much the "it" watches in the collector community.

That is a beautiful watch. Classic designs never go out of style, but they do fall out of fashion.

Your friend is absolutely right about those cycles. When I got into collecting (early 80s), the Rolex Price was the watch that everyone (at auctions & in watch collecting circles) was abuzz about. But, by the end of the decade, the ever-fickle cognoscenti had moved on to the next big thing (sport watches) & you rarely ever heard about the Prince anymore. Had Rolex only been quick on their heels & re-issued the Prince in 1982, they would have made a killing (before the fashion trend subsided). Same case with the recent big watch fad. Had they turned out the Deep Sea in '98 (when Panerai was the hottest tamale in the pot), they could have cashed in before the fashion magazines began touting the return of the classically understated gentleman's watch.