When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to get a Rolex DateJust - SS/White Gold

redwatch

Hi guys,

The draw of the dressy DateJust is calling to me. I definitely want a SS/White Gold one, but there are so many choices. I think I like the simple look of the stick markers on the white or silver dial.

Let's see some pics and help me choose!

Thanks in advance!

Finding a white dial w/ stick markers isn't easy. On my 16014, I ended up with an old silver dial which had faded to a lite beige/off white. But that gives it character- a 30 yr old DJ. Case came from roling on ebay- very nice, but haven't seen him around lately.

post-175-125683829248_thumb.jpg

Ok so I found these on WM9's website. Some nice, nice pieces! Anyone have any of these?

Rolex DateJust 16234

Rolex DateJust 16220

Rolex DateJust 16200

The 16234 is quite expensive for a rep, especially a DateJust, but the Jubilee Bracelet is quite stunning - and it is plated in 18k White Gold vs. the other ones which are SS.

I'd be more inclined to go up a notch and do something like this:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=1906&zenid=53b90c2ef3a28dfadff9b8d3636954cc

If you truely got a Swiss eta, it would be great, but even if you got a clone, you could swap out for a true Swiss eta later if you needed to w/o much hassle.

I'd be more inclined to go up a notch and do something like this:

http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_12&products_id=1906&zenid=53b90c2ef3a28dfadff9b8d3636954cc

If you truely got a Swiss eta, it would be great, but even if you got a clone, you could swap out for a true Swiss eta later if you needed to w/o much hassle.

Define 'up a notch'... I'd bet that the chassis of both watches is identical, and wouldn't consider an ETA worth that kind of hike in price...

The first time I tried on a DJ, I felt it was 'too small'. After wearing one for a few hours, I did get used to the smaller size case, but, I definitely think it's something someone would 'love or hate', so I'd suggest a budget variant first to 'test the water', then maybe upgrade the movement if necessary :)

TeeJay, you certainly bring up a valid point, if you're not sure, buying the $108 a21j DJ is fine. I've got four of them myself- 2 have crapped out and 2 really aren't my style. I have two frankens, the 16014 above and a 16013TT, both cost me around $500 each to build and have eta motors. I think they're very nice and consider building frankens as being at the top of the replica pyramid.

As far as DJ's are concerned, redwatch pointed out the WM9 DJ's which are probably very close to a franken in quality, etc.

Next down the line is a good eta based rep and finally the a21j DJ's.

Everyone has to ask themselves how much they are comfortable spending and what level of quality they are interested in. I have both a21j reps and eta powered reps, but I always consider the eta reps as being a step above the a21j's. Whether it's worth it to you to pay more for an eta is a question only you can answer. It is for me.

TeeJay, you certainly bring up a valid point, if you're not sure, buying the $108 a21j DJ is fine. I've got four of them myself- 2 have crapped out and 2 really aren't my style. I have two frankens, the 16014 above and a 16013TT, both cost me around $500 each to build and have eta motors. I think they're very nice and consider building frankens as being at the top of the replica pyramid.

As far as DJ's are concerned, redwatch pointed out the WM9 DJ's which are probably very close to a franken in quality, etc.

Next down the line is a good eta based rep and finally the a21j DJ's.

Everyone has to ask themselves how much they are comfortable spending and what level of quality they are interested in. I have both a21j reps and eta powered reps, but I always consider the eta reps as being a step above the a21j's. Whether it's worth it to you to pay more for an eta is a question only you can answer. It is for me.

I think you're quite right to say that a custom built franken is the top of the pyramid, with the WM9 being the top of what's available to buy 'out of the box' :) I'd definitely say the DJ is a watch which someone could love or hate, in terms of size, so something someone could do with 'testing the water' with before a major investment (which I would then suggest as a franken rather than WM9, as the feeling of looking down and knowing you built the watch yourself, really can't be beat :) )

Given my recent experiences with the budget DJ I bought, I think it's a good example of what can be available for a reasonable price, which to me, makes the $200 eta reps a little less worth the price of admission :lol:

Excellent points from both you guys! Thanks for the input! A DJ is a new direction for me, and I have been a little hesitant about them as I am used to 40mm+ sized watches. However, there is just something very stunning and elegant about the DJ that I just can't avoid. A franken would be sweet, but I think that a budget version to start would be the way to go. Then again, I am the sort of person who likes to go all out the first time. I think I may just go to an AD and try one on for size and see how I feel about it. That would be a good staring point for me I think!

Excellent points from both you guys! Thanks for the input! A DJ is a new direction for me, and I have been a little hesitant about them as I am used to 40mm+ sized watches. However, there is just something very stunning and elegant about the DJ that I just can't avoid. A franken would be sweet, but I think that a budget version to start would be the way to go. Then again, I am the sort of person who likes to go all out the first time. I think I may just go to an AD and try one on for size and see how I feel about it. That would be a good staring point for me I think!

If you're going to an AD, I would suggest not wearing a watch for an hour or so before your visit. Not to avoid the issue of taking a rep to an AD, but to let your eye 'adjust', so you view the DJ with 'a clean visual palette', rather than a mental comparison to a larger watch. Best of luck with your hunt :good:

Thanks TJ! Good call! I am going to an AD on Tuesday

No problem :) I first noticed the phenomenon when I tried on a 45mm Planet Ocean then a 2254.50, which, when worn immediately after the PO, looked tiny... About a year ago, I took off my 127, then put on my 45mm PO. The PO looked tiny... Going from a Sub to a DJ, the DJ looks tiny, and so on and so forth :lol: But, put a DJ on 'clean', or, if worn after a Sub, after a while, the eye adjusts and the watch no longer appears to be 'small', and is 'visually accepted' for being the size it is :)