When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to value a solid gold ?

offshore

I have a client, who owns a solid 14ct yellow gold Bulova, auto.

He wants to sell, and has offered it to me.

Nice watch, mint condition, gold face with "diamond" indices.

Now I am stuck on trying to arrive at a figure for it.

I yesterday looked at the gold price, and referenced it by the case weight (15.4 gm)

I am told that scrap gold should value around 60% of bullion, so applied a 60% margin.

This worked out close enough to A$250.00. So I reckon the movement, and the fact it is a going watch in mint condition, (it will require a service) must be worth at least a further $50! ( Needs a new strap or bracelet if I could find one)

Am I being too tough at a $300 hit up?

I am after all the buyer here.

But would be interested in the views of the members.

Offshore

I would say $300-350 is very fair OS, I like the Bulova's, they are really bice pieces for the most part, there are a few stinkers out there unfortunately.

But putting in the fact that you need to get a new strap or bracelet and it needs a service, I would say your price is very fair indeed!!

Sixx :bones:

The other thing you could do is go to their site (I believe it's a US company now) and find out the new price then knock off a hundred bucks for driving it out of the showroom.

Bulova was once a relatively nice brand (Swiss I think) but these days most are quartz cheapies.

Ken

This is an early one Ken.(Maybe 1970's- I'll go and research the model/serial/movement now) Just in nice condition. Bulova auto movement. I actually got it in for a service,(which it desperately needs) and the client baulked at spending $175.00 for same.

So I'm hoping to pick it up for the above sorts of numbers.

Must have a search and see what can be found in a gold bracelet to match. (It came on an aftermarket leather strap, which is a throw a way) Case, crystal and dial are all in perfect condition however.

Offshore

Don't know the alloys Bulova uses.. but for example the Italian gold chains have less pure gold and alloy's that make them lighter and shinier in colour.. all legal.. it will bear the 14k stamp...diamond grades for dials is very low.. promotional grade actually..

Still this is jewelry, and used jewelry ..imo.. should be treated as such, unless it is of investment grade .. I'm sure your offer is very fair A.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

AC

Lani