When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How'd I do?

Shundi

So I placed a bid on a lot of "NOS" Gen Rolex parts on the Bay figuring I'd never win with the price I put up but, lo and behold, I won!

My gen 1002 Oyster Perpetual probably needs a new case tube (and maybe crown) and I hope these parts fit when the eventual service and repair occurs but if they don't, I figure I can turn them around and sell them (maybe even reuse those tritium dots on the DateJust dial for my original dial (a bit of flaking occurring on some).

Anyway, let me know how I did (vintage part experts) and if anyone needs anything (esp. the gen DateJust dial- would make for a sweet franken!) send me a PM and make an offer!

Edit to add: I can't see the model # on the crown but since the case tube looks like the one I need, I'd assume the crown goes with it... hopefully ;) If not, modders here will get some cheap gen parts!

48190..jpg

48190.4.jpg

48190.5.jpg

If the green leather item is a fold-open display pad with a suede lining, I would be interested in it if you do not want it.

Otherwise, not knowing what you paid, no one can tell you how well you did. What I can tell you is that the tube is for a 5.3mm crown &, in spite of its being in a Rolex package, it looks used. Likewise, if the packages arrived unsealed (with those 'x' holes in them), I would hazard a guess the rest of the parts are used as well (some watchmakers put the used/worn parts they remove back in the packages the new parts came in & then resell them because they are Rolex parts). But with vintage Rolex parts being somewhat rare & hard to get, if you need them, then you did well just finding them. If you do not need them, then you probably could have done better things with your money.

Not knowing what you paid, no one can tell you how you did. What I can tell you is that the tube is for a 5.3mm crown &, in spite of its being in a Rolex package, it looks used. Likewise, if the packages arrived unsealed (with those 'x' holes in them), I would hazard a guess the rest of the parts are used as well. But with vintage Rolex parts being somewhat rare & hard to get, if you need them, then you did well just finding them. If you do not need them, then you probably could have done better things with your money.

Less than $50 forgot to mention that in my original post!

Thanks for the reply!

I think you did well, and that is the opinion not of a vintage watch expert, but from a 'investment' POV.

The discussions here lately of the going prices for 'gen' Rolex parts, both vintage and latterday, is dizzying. The 'Frankensteins' here may view those parts as a means to an end, but I see them as loose presious, and semi-precious gems stones.

I'm sure there are circles of collectors who have no interest in watches at all, only in their trade for currency. A 6263 may have it's place in 'investment', as a AAA piece of traded paper, but it's dial alone certainly is a better hedge than any short to mid-term certificate of deposit offered by lending institution currently. If you think that's a stretch, put that dial back on the 'Bay and see if you can turn 3% profit on it. Well, there you go.

Oh, for a bag of gen 8mm brevet rolex crowns when things go south on the NASDAQ. Worth more than their weight in, well, any noble metal I can think of....................

Good deal Shunds!

I think you did well, and that is the opinion not of a vintage watch expert, but from a 'investment' POV.

The discussions here lately of the going prices for 'gen' Rolex parts, both vintage and latterday, is dizzying. The 'Frankensteins' here may view those parts as a means to an end, but I see them as loose presious, and semi-precious gems stones.

I'm sure there are circles of collectors who have no interest in watches at all, only in their trade for currency. A 6263 may have it's place in 'investment', as a AAA piece of traded paper, but it's dial alone certainly is a better hedge than any short to mid-term certificate of deposit offered by lending institution currently. If you think that's a stretch, put that dial back on the 'Bay and see if you can turn 3% profit on it. Well, there you go.

Oh, for a bag of gen 8mm brevet rolex crowns when things go south on the NASDAQ. Worth more than their weight in, well, any noble metal I can think of....................

Good deal Shunds!

Agreed. If I could get a bag of gen 8mm brevet crowns.... ohhhh manJumpy.gifJumpy.gif

What's worth more per ounce, Brevet 8mm crowns or early Sub bezels? Bezels are going for $1,600 and up, crowns for $1,000 last time I saw a Big Brevet.

Good LORD

NIce deal, Shundi. :tu:

Update- my watchmaker says the crown and case tube appear to be unused. Only thing the crown will need is a new gasket :) Needless to say, I'm psyched to have picked up a basically NOS crown and casetube (among other things including a mainspring which wasn't included in the picture) for about 20% of what they'd cost me new!

Freddy - the leather book is actually the owners manual for a model 1024 rolex- including the owners manual, warranty, and, amazingly, the Chronometer certificate made out for Rolex #2,941,997. If, on the off-chance, anyone has that Rolex- I've got your original papers!!