When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A few more DLC coated Gens...

Guest avitt

The plenum and rocker covers in gloss, the alternator and headers flat black. I would be King at the club!

Yes you would :lol:

Hell, let's do the entire engine (you might as well benefit from the improved gas mileage ;) )

1) A bump for this thread as it is the most 'new' thing to wrist watches in a while on RWG. A real nugget, and 2)since 'Avitt' opened up pandora's box with regard, some intel on the Marathon auto in the OP:

Marathon Homepage

<direct link to watch descriptions>

<one sales site, CountyComm, sanctioned by Marathon>

<direct link watches, CountyComm>

<second sales site, GSA Advantage, sanctioned by Marathon>

notes: By first impressions these seem to be quality pieces done to Mil spec with bracelet/strap options. I had never known them before. The CSAR chronograph (pilot's)<link> I am keen on is replete with 7750 Valjoux, but pricey ( A LOT less as advertised on GSA Advantage than CountyComm however), but worth the money considering.

The SAR in 'Avitt' 's post are not described on the Marathon homepage, and sold out on the sites listed. At 25j, and an over $500 premium, ETA mvmnt would be a good guess on the SAR? They also offer a good variety of Quartz and other Auto divers'/adventures' at very low prices with fibre/resin case. 17j motors in the autos, so, what? Seagull, Miyota?

K, great stuff 'Avitt', Marathon could use you and your expertise. The CSAR in DLC? Whoa. :thumbs:

I've been aware of Marathon for some time, due to their popularity on the Military Watch Resource forum, and the Watchuseek Pilots & Military forum, but had never actually seen one in the flesh. This SAR that I worked on was an extremely solid, basic tool watch, with an ETA 2824. The only weakness that I noticed were the spring bars used in the clasp, which both flew apart upon removal.

I know that Jack at IWW has been the go-to guy for coating Marathons for some time now...I'm just providing an alternative.

Hey Demsey...There's a 2006 Marathon SAR for sale right now over at the Geek... :whistling:

Thanks for the heads up 'Avitt', but I apparantly don't rate the privilege to access the 'Trades' section. Jeez, they awta be flattered I remembered my password. The last time I logged on W. was still President and we were all talking about "What if?" for the upcoming election.

Cheers!

@ 'thogaa'

'Wealth' can buy you a car like that. But to take it out in public, park it on the street and walk away from it? That takes 'rich'. Jeez who drives that? Paris?

@ 'upland'

Who drives that? Cobra?

T- Which has been the most interesting case to coat thus far in terms of results, finish and detail?

Good question, R...

Coating things black is certainly more interesting for me than you would think, and I am often very surprised by the outcome. Some of my favorites are pieces that you might predict, knowing something about my tastes. But then again, I have been really stunned by some pieces which I would never have considered coating, and would not wear myself. The Breitling in this thread is an example. There is a great deal of detail on this watch. Coating it required removal of the rider tabs, and complete coverage of the bezel screw...I was pretty thrilled with the results. Here are a few more of my favorites:

My first:

img2395cj2.jpg

One of the most complex jobs:

img5463.jpg

img5478o.jpg

I always love gens:

img5172k.jpg

This is a sentimental fav, just because of how much it meant to the owner. I took it from this:

p4050171h.jpg

...to this!

img5696u.jpg

I've coated just about every genuine modern Rolex sports model now (numerous Subs, Seadwellers, Explorers, Milgauss, etc.), and these are my favorite details:

img6111er.jpg

img6107.jpg

I'd even rate this simple Seiko:

img5738.jpg

And then, there's this one:

img6243q.jpg

img6247u.jpg

I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard to pick a favorite!