When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finaly the Mark XVI is released

trombone

I don't see why they have so much trouble with it. No complications. No crazy case shape. Just a matte black dial, white markers, and white hands. They can pull of Breitlings but the can't make this?

I'm sure they can, but they have a ton of surplus XV cases and dial plates to burn through first. The hands were also originally used on the white dial XV rep as well, I think.

I have two theories regarding the XVI. This is just conjecture, but it seems to make sense (at least in my head).

1) The factories are testing the waters with this watch; plans of a future, better and improved XVI may be contingent on whether there is any demand for it. or...

2) The WM9 initiative may be similar to their 16610 project in that the design will likely be a premiere under their name, but will not be 100% exclusive to them. We may see an improved XVI to be released that isn't WM9 labled, per se. But prior to this happening, the factories are trying to move this left over stock of parts so as not to take a huge bath on the expenses incurred in producing these items. The XV was, of course not an accurate watch and neither is this roll out of the current XVI. To be stuck with these items would be taking a loss; probably a decent sized one at that, as I'm sure nothing would move with a better XVI on the market.

What's really going on is anybody's guess :)

To be honest I cant understand the fuzz about the Mark XVI.. I am aware of the heritage and all that, and I even enjoy smaller watches ( like the DateJust, vintage Seamasters or even the Air-King). But this one does not "sing" to me.. Just too plain.

Well, each to his own. :) Maybe I also will get sold eventually!

• 4 weeks later...

It's unfortunate that they seem to have botched this one. I sincerely hope it's not just the old Mark XV replica with a new bezel and hands. If that's the case, avoid it at all costs.

The way the Mark XV rep is constructed is a joke. The whole watch is held to together by the case back.

Unfortunately, I fear this is the same case. The Mark XV rep was 39mm (the gen was 38mm), which oddly makes it the correct size for the Mark XVI (gen is 39mm). I think it was just too tempting for the makers to re-use the old case. :(

It is the old case :wounded1:

I forgot to post these pics- I received mine early December, but ended up giving it to a friend as a gift :)

IMG_9375.jpg

Note and compare the shape of the indicies as compared to the gen dial on my 3717:

IMG_9370.jpg

The hands and dial are crudely finished (in my opinion), but the case is decent despite having the wrong dial aperture and bezel shape. An interesting observation to note- My watch came with a completely unlumed dial; just painted plots (i.e. no lume on the quarter markers). Lume on the hands is very weak sauce, as typical of rep M.O.

IMG_9382.jpg

Yes, the crown is huge! Looks like one of frankenstein's bolts sticking out of his neck :)

IMG_9384.jpg

Caseback:

IMG_9387.jpg

I am not sure if the AR is really AR at all. It seems to me that it was just a tinted crystal. Here's a comparison to Chief AR:

IMG_9392.jpg

IMG_9394.jpg

Granted, nothing really compares to Chief AR, but the crystal on this rep lacked any AR properties at all, producing the same glare as my other non-coated crystals.

My suspicion that the case is surplus old stock from their XV production was confirmed after seeing this watch in person. It's not a bad watch, but it's not very accurate to gen either. My initial consideration for this watch was to use it as a beater for working on the car, house, etc. My second thought was to convert it into a sterile dial project, but felt that the cost to modify it wasn't worth it. In the end, I just gifted it to a buddy of mine who enjoys wearing the watch as-is (yes, he knows it's a replica) :)

Some say that the 39mm size is too small, and in truth it does wear a bit small especially in comparison to my other IWCs which measure in at 42mm. I don't think that will stop me from buying a better replicated version of this watch, however. The XVI is a great watch, and sometimes less is more :)

• 3 weeks later...