When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mods Anyone Can Do

preacher62

Great work!

Indeed- These are mods that most anyone can likely tackle. It does help to have the right tools, patience, a good understanding as to how these things go together, etc. but most of the time it's just a matter of diving in and getting your hands dirty. Probably the most aggravating mod on your list for many is getting the DW's lined up center for every date of the month, and making sure it's nice and level so that rubbing doesn't occur. Takes some time and practice... Definitely lots of trial and error!

Still, there's nothing quite like the satisfaction of having done the job yourself :)

Thanks for the kind words, Ubi and Andy! You are absolutely right about the tools, patience and understanding.

Ideally, for a first project one probably wouldn't change out the movement and have to deal with the removal of the dial, removing and resetting the hands, much less the whole DWO ordeal. Just handling the movement is an activity that must have some underestanding behind it. There are many, many ways that something can go wrong here. There is enough infomation on this forum, if someone wanting to tackle something like this will just digest it. Study the watch that is the center of the project and visualize what the project will entail before proceeding. There will be surprises...just go slowly and do everything very deliberately.

If one had a watch with the movement he/she wanted to use, however, the other things can't go too badly wrong, if one thinks ahead and is careful.

You're right about that. You can get connected to one. I have ordered, from Chris, an MBK 16610 case set with a Clark glass installed and it should be here this week. I am torn between going forward with that or just selling the MBK case when it comes. True...it will have a better bezel ring and teeth. It will also have a deep rehaut, which the Noob does not. But, it also has a crown position that is too low in the case. I almost think that I would rather have the shallow rehaut and a crown that is in the center of the case, than the low crown position.

Decisions...decisions. If, however, one is looking for perfection, he cannot find it here. He can go to any one of the fine ADs and will surely find it there.

Edited by preacher62

Very nice "roadmap" to a better looking watch! I can say (from my limited experience) that the hardest part is often trying to decide just where to start and what to do! Any task, no matter how complex, can be broken down into many smaller and less intimidating steps.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread just to say thanks. I bought some 600 and 1200 grit sandpaper, and I know longer slit my wrists while wearing my Noobmariner.

Unfortunately, though, I have to go back to my trusted Gillette for shaving... :rolleyes:

BK doesn't supply replacement crowns anymore, which is a pity, and I'm still too much of a p*ssy to try to fix the CGs.