When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My second dial re-lume :)

TeeJay

Remember this:

DSCN2549.jpg

I wasn't over impressed with it when it arrived, and, while I warmed up to it a bit over the weekend, as soon as I had the opportunity to get a new Tudor dial on my wrist, the 1655 was off. I knew the dial needed re-luming, but given the result and feedback I had when I tried to relume this Submariner dial with a fine-point brush, I knew I needed to change my approach...

DSCN2415.jpg

So, a slight change in equipment, a little more time grinding the Night Color from 'cottage cheese' to a smooth paste, and NCIS as background noise, and I got to work. I am very happy with the result of the facelift, and it actually makes me want to wear the watch now :):victory:

This is what I used:

DSCN2614.jpg

Work in progress:

DSCN2610.jpg

DSCN2611.jpg

While I had the watch stripped, I took the opportunity to tint the 24 hour hand. I'd originally envisaged a more 'Doxa Orange', but the marker I used, not only went more into the red spectrum, but also left a somewhat uneven patinated finish. The hand looks like junk on macro, but to the naked eye, it looks sweeet :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I also gave the dial two coats of matte varnish :victory:

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2623.jpg

Here's how it looks in the dark:

DSCN2627.jpg

And here's how it looks on the wrist :)

DSCN2630.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim: Mi Amigo......Shalam Alaikum! That's one heck of a Lume Job! Impressive.....muy bien! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Mucho gracias, bro :drinks: :drinks: I figured I had to do all the hour markers, or there wasn't any point in doing it at all. Surprizingly though, they were easier to do than the large markers :bangin: I know it's not perfect, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out B)

Nice one TeeJay, I still recommend cats whiskers for fine detail tho.

Harry doesnt mind, as long as I wait for them to shed naturally of course :)

PA190122.jpg

Thanks :) I used the narrowest section of the nylon loops used to attach labels to garments/fabrics for sale, but I might well have to consider a cat's whisker to get that fine detail for future projects :) I'm liking the cut of Harry's gib :good:

Looks awesome TJ! The only suggestion I would have is to try and find some nice Testors paint for the orange hand. If you can get the hand to look a little more even, then I think you will have nailed it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Much appreciated :) I was originally planning on using model paint, but when I remembered my markers, I couldn't be bothered to make the 50 minute round trip into town to buy the paint :whistling: I have to admit, I really like the uneven effect (doesn't capture so well on camera, and looks appalling in Macro) as I think it adds to the aged appearance :) Next step, will be to scuff the case a little :) Funny how such small details can change the perception of something :)

Good stuff Tim. I have yet to try a lume job. I'm getting psyched for it. I'm thinking of trying a cheapo product first but shudder at the thought of what Zig would say!! :)

Thanks, S :) It's a very rewarding exercise :) I'd really like to try it with a high quality lume, but at the moment, I'm finding the Night Color adequate for my needs (after a little grinding to smooth it out :lol: ) :tu:

Good stuff Tim. I have yet to try a lume job. I'm getting psyched for it. I'm thinking of trying a cheapo product first but shudder at the thought of what Zig would say!! :)

It's good to see so many DIY projects coming from your bench. Hey, even The Zigmeister started somewhere. I'm not ready to lume.. I know that for a fact!

Maaa Maaan !!!! for your second go that is super !!!

improving is the key to everything in life !!

AC

R

Many thanks, bro, there's always something new to learn, and that's what keeps things fun :)

Nice job TeeJay! Before long you'll be looming with the best of them. I wouldn't even attempt something like that.

Later,

ww

Thanks indeed :drinks: I have to admit, it was a more advanced dial than I would have liked for my second attempt, and first attempt with the new tool, but, I couldn't afford to send the dial away, and couldn't stand the dial as it was, so it really was one of those 'X-Wing in the swamp' situations where I'd either do it, or not, and I did it :tu:

Well done, your on your way and there is no stopping you now, soon everything no nailed down will be lumed in your house. :)

Keep it coming, the next step should be to buy a lume kit with the real stuff, so you can put what you have learned into practice.

Many thanks indeed :) If I had the cash, I'd definitely invest in a lume kit, but all in good time :) I did look online at a lume paint company (US Based) but they wouldn't ship the powders abroad due to it coming under 'hazmat rules', could you recommend a source?

Cousins UK sells luminous kits...no shipping issues...

Ahh, that sounds like a plan, thanks for the information and feedback, it's very much appreciated :)

Nice work indeed! Takes a steady hand to do this stuff!

Many thanks, and it does indeed :D I don't think I'll be trying to lume a dial after a few beers :lol: