When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Golden Girl

freddy333

Tell me, why use a modified A7750 and not a v72?

Cost & reliability.

I may, at some point in the future, convert over to V72, but (excepting the incorrect pushers, which DW thinks he can correct soon) I am quite happy with the watch the way it is. I overhauled the movement prior to assembly & the A7750 is alot easier to work on than a V72. 1 of my other V72 Newmans has developed a winding problem (the stem is stuck & the movement will not wind) & my last V72 overhaul was enough of a nightmare that I may just send the 'winding problem' to Ziggy. When I balance the 7750's lower cost & ease-of-repair against the V72's slightly more accurate subdials (in the case of Newman dials), there just is not enough there to sway me over.

Looks beautiful, Freddy. Like you, I'm not a big fan of gold watches, but one of these (or even a sub in my case) would slot nicely into the collection.

Surely the screw down pushers would have been service replacements on a watch like this? So no one is going to call it out on that basis. The other way round, sure...

Reminds me to ping my watchmaker to see if he's done anything with my watch recently... :(

Good luck

Freddy what is the story on the bracelet. I have never seen one like this. Is it rolled gold, or plated. Also, what Rolex watches did this bracelet originally come on?

Rolex calls these bracelets 'capped-gold', but you can use whatever term you prefer. I have only seen this bracelet once before on a gold Air King 5520, which is itself rather rare.

Surely the screw down pushers would have been service replacements on a watch like this? So no one is going to call it out on that basis. The other way round, sure...

There is some logic in your premise, but I have never seen Rolex fit Oyster pushers to a non-Oyster case & I doubt they would ever do that either purposely or by mistake. That said, I have little doubt that there are gen Daytonas out there that have been 'upgraded' (by non-Rolex watchmakers), but I think that anyone with more than a rudimentary knowledge of vintage Rolex would (correctly) view such a watch with great suspicion & would assume, also, that the watch is likely a fake or franken. Since DW's cases have 1 of the generally reliable marks of a gen (asymmetrical pushers) & gold Newmans are such oddities anyway, my watch would need to have some kind of glaring mistake for most WIS types to recognize it as a franken. Unfortunately, Oyster pushers on a non-Oyster case is 1 of the 1st things any Rolex WIS looks for, so getting the correct pushers installed are at the top of my to do list.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

freddy, nice job!

That is the one of my dream watch.

Thank you for your photo.

172a-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

Case, dial, A7750, handset, pushers (though I will later be replacing these with the Ofreis), bezel from DW

6mm Brevet crown/tube, gold-capped bracelet & T21 crystal are all gen (but the watch is fitted with an aftermarket crystal in final pics because the bezel is only half-way pressed onto the case)

0051-2.jpg

Like all DW construction projects, there were some problems. Most, like the half unpainted (& clearly laser etched as opposed to engraved) bezel, I was able to solve

1091-1.jpg

119_repainted1.jpg

But others, like receiving Oyster-style pushers for a non-Oyster dial (& my spare Ofrei pushers' threading did not match the case threads :bangin: ), remain to be worked out

0961.jpg

The usual loose hand tubes were fixed, as were some loose hour markers (some still a bit questionable). The dial arrived with lume at 12, which is wrong on a 62xx Daytona & which I was only partially successful in removing. I ran into a few problems assembling hands/dial & movement, but all of those, as you can see, were eventually solved

1261.jpg

The semi-finished product - once the rotor was removed (& auto-wind disabled), I was able to fit a V72 caseback so the case is dimensionally correct from all angles & winding sounds like a Rolex

Click to listen

1421.jpg

1391.jpg

1371.jpg

What remains is to sort out the pushers, after which I can then install the gen crystal & press the bezel down all the way (the bezel in these pics is only partially pressed onto the case so it can be easily removed when I deal with the pushers).