When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Converting Rep To Gen

HEWLIO

So i've got one of those 1665's from josh for 98$ and suppose I got a gen movement. Could I install it in my watch and slowly but surly convert it to a gen? There is one on ebay right now, and im wondering how safe it is to buy it. Movement On The Bay Doesn't ebay take fake items off? The guy has good feedback, what is there to be worried about? Is it possible that it is a worn out movement? or stolen? Would it be wise to buy it and go from there? I see that most of the other parts are on the bay but just the case is the big item that never shows up. As for the dials and hands on ebay, are they genuine or after market? I am 18 and I want to start building my assets (as in gen watches) Im positive that if i had the parts in front of me that I would be able to assemble them correctly. I need opinions from you guys because you are much more experienced than I. I don't want to jump into anything with out thinking alot about it first. Thanks

No idea how much work will be required to mod the case to fit the movement, but I can tell you that the 1560 is incorrect for a SD (the 1560 was used in the late 70s for the last of the 5512 Subs though). Of course, from the outside, no one will know the difference, so you can certainly use it if you can find a watchsmith willing to do the work on your case. I can tell you that the movement is gen (real) & the seller is generally reliable. Beyond that, the ball is in your court.

I agree w/ freddy, the 1560 is the wrong movement. It actually was replaced by the 1570 in the middle 60's, and the 1570 is the correct movement for a 1665.

But let's get one thing straight first, you can't make a gen watch out of rep and gen parts. The best you can hope to do is build a nice franken. Is it a good investment- probably not, IMO. Another consideration is the quality of parts, you get what you pay for and the $98 DRSD isn't a very good case to begin with.

For the long term investment, you'd be better off buying a gen 1500 Oyster Perpetual Date for $1000-1250.

If you want a nice rep, buy an MBW DRSD and make some mods- $500-1000

A franken DRSD- a good one will run $1500-2500.

But a gen GWSD will run a min of $7K, probably and a gen DRSD- $25K up ????

If you are going to build a really high quality "Franken" using a genuine movement, I would buy a Yuki case and go from there. Starting with and inferior case is just going to create more problems in the long run. Buy a case that is designed for a 1560 or 1570 movement, Source a movement, genuine dial, crown /tube, Bezel inset and bracelet and you will have a really quality watch. It will be expensive, and more than likely if you decide to sell it, you are not going to get your money back! What I learned several years ago, even with high quality reps is that they don't appreciate like genuine.

Good luck

Arthur

I mean converting alll the parts to gen over time...

If you really want to go that route (you'll pay more in the long run) I'd buy a 1500 Oyster Perpetual. Same money as that movement you're looking at and you could just take the movement out of the gen watch. Now, if down the road you want to sell the parts, just put the movement back in the 1500 you brought and presto- you have a full gen watch to sell wherever and can sell the parts here.

You can build a "franken" but to call it a "genuine" is a stretch..

it's like putting a 356 engine in a replica Porsche shell.. you still have a replica with a 356 Porsche engine.. :lol:

AC/Lani

:thumbsupsmileyanim: but i think my 356 replica would be more fun with a Gen 356 carrera engine - but call it a gen would be a lie - i agree.

BR