When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Sea-Dweller first mods Ever

asciwhite

Never modded a watch before, and I have to learn from my mistakes I guess.

Apart from scre*ing up the pearl and destrying the keyless works.. so i have to change the whole bezel insert again, and send the watch out for repair. I think i did ok :) The watchmaterial pearl was HUGE compared to the one that came with the insert... and I botched the install.

Anyways. You guys can say if i need to mod the CGs more or if it is close enough, and if there is something wrong with the install of the insert (apart from the obvious) have I got enough "lip" or too much?

post-21269-126099240786_thumb.jpg

post-21269-126099241894_thumb.jpg

post-21269-12609924263_thumb.jpg

You're there with the cg's, looking good. The problem w/ recessing the insert on the SSD is that it makes the crystal height more pronounced- so I'd go w/ 'less is best' in this case. Better luck on your next insert. I used an x-acto knife to enlarge the hole before installing the WM pearl- worked OK- just go slowly and keep testing so you don't over enlarge.

Thanks alligoat :)

$39 out the window for the insert :( Oh well, live and learn. The Sea-Dweller inserts are much more expensive than the Submariners. (wonder why?) Hope I can pry the broken insert off since i Gorilla glued it in..

Yeh, I don't use gorilla glue, or epoxy on inserts. I've used the GS Hypo-cement and done OK. It's not as strong, but it sure makes it easier if you're removing the insert!

here's an insert for $24+, http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-BEZEL-INSERT-FIT-ROLEX-SEA-DWELLER-WATCH-PARTS_W0QQitemZ250506776975QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a535e118f

Yeh, I don't use gorilla glue, or epoxy on inserts. I've used the GS Hypo-cement and done OK. It's not as strong, but it sure makes it easier if you're removing the insert!

here's an insert for $24+, http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3a535e118f

I have looked at that wink.gif Only thing is I live in Norway, so have to add $10 for shipping (SUCKS) hehe

But you can`t put a price on results achieved when done right.

I have been using clear silicone RTV adhesive on inserts. Seems to hold very well but is easy to "un-stick" stuff if needed. I also use RTV to affix emblems/badges, etc. to motorcycles after a repaint. I bought the following insert for my next ST project, I don't know if it would fit an SSD or not, though, but they probably have one. This was $14...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230373426919&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I have been using clear silicone RTV adhesive on inserts. Seems to hold very well but is easy to "un-stick" stuff if needed. I also use RTV to affix emblems/badges, etc. to motorcycles after a repaint. I bought the following insert for my next ST project, I don't know if it would fit an SSD or not, though, but they probably have one. This was $14...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Oh perfect.. Joink! Ref NO : 16660 is Sea-Dweller. Thanks jmp biggrin.gif

Edit: Hmmm the fonts look a bit fat on that one sad.gif The other ones have much crisper fonts IMO....

Bought this one Watchbandman50 16660 insert

There is no turning back now AC ... :lol:

You are "Hooked" ma brotha..!!!!!!

if you feel you have to use glue for inserts.. I use the "rubber cement" it holds good enough but dry's to a rubbery substance.. that can be taken off easily.. get a case back opener from Watchbitz.. removing the bezel to extract the insert saves wear and tear on the insert..

the rubber cement is like adhesive no need to bind it too tightly with gorilla shtuff..

we've all messed up enough keyless works for you to be in good company.. :1a:

AC/Lani

There is no turning back now AC ... laugh.gif

You are "Hooked" ma brotha..!!!!!!

if you feel you have to use glue for inserts.. I use the "rubber cement" it holds good enough but dry's to a rubbery substance.. that can be taken off easily.. get a case back opener from Watchbitz.. removing the bezel to extract the insert saves wear and tear on the insert..

the rubber cement is like adhesive no need to bind it too tightly with gorilla shtuff..

we've all messed up enough keyless works for you to be in good company.. 1a.gif

AC/Lani

Followed Gioarmanis advice on the Gorilla Glue :( I wish I had the rubber cement advice since I am also into RC cars and use the stuff to glue wheels all the time :D However... the watch is en route to China to be repaired so when it gets back ill get it off somehow. I used only a few miniscule drops of Gorilla.

Thanks guys! Love ya all ;)

• 1 month later...