When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese Gen Automatic watches

Chaotik

I while ago I saw a post on this forum about a chinese brand that makes automatic watches for around $150.

They looked very good.

I'm trying to search the forum for the name and link but since I can't remember what to search for, it's kind of though :)

Anyone can remind me?

Thanks

Chaotik

• 2 weeks later...

I had one of these Chinese tourbillons sometime back. While not an automatic, it was a fantastic watch, and the tourby cage spinning in the aperture was just mesmerizing to look at.

IMG_3737.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

If I were more of a dress watch kind of guy, I'd have kept it, no doubt.

yes.. !

That's it.. I had forgot it was a tourbillon. Even better...

do you remember what it was called and where you got it ?

I have been curious about the tourbillon reps. I can't figure out how they can rep this movement. Does it really work and keep ggod time? It it does then that may be the biggest scam by the Swiss. Most of the Swiss tourby's start at around 100k. I saw this Blancpain video on the Smithsonian channel. The guy is assembling a tourbillon, cool video, then at the end they drop the 150k pricetag on you. Anyway, are these Sea Gull tourby reps any good. I always figured they would break very easily.

It's a full functioning 1 min tourbillon. Kept great time, was quite durable and with decent finishing, though in comparing with a Swiss Haute piece, you'd paying mostly for the handcrafted work/finishing/overall quality, precious metal case and of course the name on the dial that the Chinese tourby doesn't match. For the money, the Chinese tourby is a good buy if you want a neat conversation piece.

The best value for Swiss is the Chronoswiss Tourbillon, in my opinion. Even in platinum, they can be had for $35k-ish on the secondary market. Not all Swiss brands are in the 6 figures ;)