When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Longines Legend Diver Pictorial

lhooq

748169959_XuhKN-X3.jpg

Let's start with the box:

748169967_qAPZ4-X3.jpg

Unremarkable without a point of reference, so here's one:

748169972_ahsUG-X3.jpg

As I said when I bought it, "This is ------' heavy." It gets better when opened:

748169978_EP63J-X3.jpg

The Book of Exploits is a weighty bit of fluff, and the manual generically covers all Longines models. The Diver, however, is marvelous:

748170002_xViTy-X3.jpg

The LLD on its original strap. Thin, but much nicer than you might have been led to believe:

748170010_imuT2-X3.jpg

How did this screenshot of 'Space War' get in here? Fascinating pattern, but weak lume:

748170026_GoQxQ-X3.jpg

Lovely caseback engraving is faithful to the 1960 original. Hash marks on the buckle recall those on the crowns of the LLD, and on the crowns of past Super Compressors and their descendents:

748170039_CDCdk-X3.jpg

Two days ago, I received the vintage Tropic rubber strap I'd ordered from Squinky. Not too pretty up close but, boy, does it look right:

748170048_m2w9Q-X3.jpg

Domed sapphire crystal: The biggest visual departure from the original design, and the one thing I would change once the warranty period ends. Anyone want to get rid of a spare JLC Polaris crystal?

748170068_JVuXs-X3.jpg

Prettiest of the Super Compressor re-issues? I think so, but feel free to send me your Vintage Aquatimers and Memovox Polarises to try to change my mind.

748170100_C27HX-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. What size is it? And when will there be a replicate of it?! :whistling:

It's a 42mm case, same as the old, big Super Compressors and reissues like the Polaris and, I presume, the Aquatimer Vintage. I'm hoping someone reps the Super Compressor case, since there are so many great divers that used it. At the very least, a Polaris rep would be nice, as I doubt I'll be able to afford one anytime soon!

It is a real stunning watch and a very nice and faithful re-issue IMO thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here's a nice side-by-side from someone who owns the old and new Divers:

755854142_ZFMhz-L.jpg

If only IWC had been as faithful to the ref.1812 Aquatimer as JLC and Longines were to their old divers! Aside from the lack of a Plexiglas dome, Longines' only other noticeable deviation from the original is the hands: The hour hand is fine, but the minute hand is too straight and narrow, and the second hand is too thick. Oddly, all the official photos of the LLD show the old-style hands, yet every purchased example I've seen has hands like those on mine.

• 2 years later...