When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New MBW 1680 vs Yuki 1680 project...

itreeman

Hey guys...

So I am thinking about getting a 1680 (White) and I am trying to decide whether doing a Yuki case/project will be worth it for me OR if I should just grab a MBW 1680 do some minor mods and call it a day.

Keeping in mind that I have no desire nor intention of getting a GEN movement OR a GEN Bracelet...

(If I go with the yuki I would be using a spacer with a 2824 eta)

What does the yuki case have that the MBW does not? Are the crown guards on the yuki 100% like gen, very close, or do they still need work?

Does gen crown fit both cases (mbw and yuki) without mods? What about gen crystal, bezel assembly?

Any other reasons I should spend probably twice the money (in not more) on a yuki project over the mbw?

How does the yuki dial compare to the mbw dial?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Edited by itreeman

The biggest advantage going with the yuki case is the fact that the crown position will be correct. The biggest disadvantage with yuki is of course the price. It will be more expensive. Also there has been some talk that some of the newer MBW watches do not take gen parts such as the bezel like they did in the past. I know you said you do not want a gen movement but with the yuki case that is still a possibility if you change your mind in the future if you change your mind. There are some really nice dials out there but a lot of them have feet made for gen movements.

The biggest advantage going with the yuki case is the fact that the crown position will be correct. The biggest disadvantage with yuki is of course the price. It will be more expensive. Also there has been some talk that some of the newer MBW watches do not take gen parts such as the bezel like they did in the past. I know you said you do not want a gen movement but with the yuki case that is still a possibility if you change your mind in the future if you change your mind. There are some really nice dials out there but a lot of them have feet made for gen movements.

The one thing I would point out, is foot positioning is pretty much irrelevant... They can be snapped off, and the dial attached to the movement with dial dots/double-sided tape with no issue at all :) No need to discount a nice dial because of foot positioning, when it is so easily overcome :)

The one thing I would point out, is foot positioning is pretty much irrelevant... They can be snapped off, and the dial attached to the movement with dial dots/double-sided tape with no issue at all :) No need to discount a nice dial because of foot positioning, when it is so easily overcome :)

Although this will work, it is not a permanent solution because, eventually, the adhesive on dial dots/double-sided tape will loosen & the dial will shift its position. In addition, if not carefully applied, you also run the risk of getting adhesive into the date-change components, which will then cause the date change to either malfunction or function abnormally slow. The only permanent way to install a dial is with its dial feet locked in place within the movement. It is possible to reposition dial feet, but it requires a special soldering device (made to solder dial feet onto dials) & very few watchmakers have the device or know how to properly reposition the feet without damaging the dial face. And before anyone asks, I do not have the device (though I did try to construct 1 once, unsuccessfully), nor do I know a watchmaker who does.

Although this will work, it is not a permanent solution because, eventually, the adhesive on dial dots/double-sided tape will loosen & the dial will shift its position. In addition, if not carefully applied, you also run the risk of getting adhesive into the date-change components, which will then cause the date change to either malfunction or function abnormally slow. The only permanent way to install a dial is with its dial feet locked in place within the movement. It is possible to reposition dial feet, but it requires a special soldering device (made to solder dial feet onto dials) & very few watchmakers have the device or know how to properly reposition the feet without damaging the dial face. And before anyone asks, I do not have the device (though I did try to construct 1 once, unsuccessfully), nor do I know a watchmaker who does.

That would certainly be an interesting one to see... In the past, I've always attached 3mm x 3mm squares of tape directly to the top plate of the movement, well away from any 'openings', and then lowered the dial into place and never had a problem. That said, I have had times when the datewheel has jammed on the back of the dial, due to warping... I don't use halogen bulbs to charge my lume any more :black_eye::whistling: (movements without plastic datewheels also helps :tu: )