When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

HELP! Submariner bezel keeps falling off?

horologist

Hello to all

and a Happy New Year. I have been away for three weeks and am glad to be back to my friends here on this forum.

I have a submariner rep which I purchased from a collector on this forum some years ago. The black bezel ring keeps on falling off as it was originally glued. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what is your solution??? I certainly do not intend to lose it, as a spare would be impossible to find and the genuine would cost more than the watch is worth and would not fit anyway as it is embedded.

Cheers

Aren't you referring to the bezel insert? In that case, you clean off the old glue and reglue. Just make sure you don't get any glue under the bezel itself (the silver metal ring) or it might not turn. GS Hypo-cement is so-so, epoxy is better, but more permanent, maybe rubber cement/contact cement. Gorilla glue has a tendency to grow and is less suitable!

Aren't you referring to the bezel insert? In that case, you clean off the old glue and reglue. Just make sure you don't get any glue under the bezel itself (the silver metal ring) or it might not turn. GS Hypo-cement is so-so, epoxy is better, but more permanent, maybe rubber cement/contact cement. Gorilla glue has a tendency to grow and is less suitable!

Yes, I meant the bezel insert. Thanks for the tip. i will try the more permanet rubber cement/contact cement as the epoxy has not helped. Thanks again

I would remove the bezel first and then glue the insert backinto the bezel.

When it's dry you can assemble the bezel to the watch again.

A friend of mine didn't disassemble the bezel and used to much glue.

End result is that the insert stays in and the bezel doesn't turn anymore because it's glued to the watch.

Carpe Diem

Cats

• 4 years later...

Is glueing in the insert onto the bezel normal practice? I ask because the insert fell off my 5517 (pic below in happier times), and I lost it.  Sucks because it was a perfect friction fit to my bezel, and I never used glue to secure it.  I bought a replacement off the Bay (not from W.S.O) and it sits a bit loosely on the bezel (slightly smaller outer diameter) and keeps falling off.  Is glue used to secure inserts in gen vintage Rollie's?

32F7487D-0239-4DB3-8A5D-DA206E2CB8D4-161

Edited by mir36

Is glueing in the insert onto the bezel normal practice? I ask because the insert fell off my 5517 (pic below in happier times), and I lost it.  Sucks because it was a perfect friction fit to my bezel, and I never used glue to secure it.  I bought a replacement off the Bay (not from W.S.O) and it sits a bit loosely on the bezel (slightly smaller outer diameter) and keeps falling off.  Is glue used to secure inserts in gen vintage Rollie's?

32F7487D-0239-4DB3-8A5D-DA206E2CB8D4-161

You'll have to glue it. Use some epoxy, just use little dabs on a tooth pick around the outer edge on the bezel ring, so the bezel can still freely turn. 

My 1680 insert is epoxied in, most reps are, unless their made to gen specs like my TC sub, which the insert just snaps in.