When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All Hail Ziggy the Great

crystalcranium

I'm not trying to kiss anyone's butt here ...and I don't even know if Rob does work for the community anymore, (he has taken a hiatus or two through the years) but I want to be clear that we have been so lucky to have had his skills within our reach. I have employed many watch craftsman over the last 5 years, some of them working for very high end shops in major cities and Rob is by far the most highly skilled and most responsible. I find it reassuring that he turns down about 50% of the work I send him on original inspection because the watch is too far gone to attempt a repair he cannot guarantee. I had a local watchsmith who had a long resume working on vintage pocket watches and I sent a prized Hamilton Elinvar 992 to him for restoration. Within a year, it stopped and I sent it to Rob. The news was not good. The local guy had not properly seated two of the jewels and they fractured on reassembly. This craft is so delicate...the tolerances so small that it takes the best and the most responsible to get it right. Rob takes his craft VERY seriously and the fact that he will work on reps is an incredible bonus.

And largely self taught, at least in the beginning anyway. Rob's career was in aviation technology. Some people can just look at a machine and 'get it'. Those are rare brains. It's those kinds of people you need to get from simple orbit to the moon in less than ten years of trying. And fix a watch properly.

Zig has been a huge part of many of my personal projects, having performed amazing work on all of my most prized movements (everything from vintage handwind Valjoux to El Primero 400's). His meticulous work, knowledge, experience and artistic eye are legendary within these forum halls :)

We're very fortunate to have him with us.

Zig, IS AMAZING!!! Knowledge, attention to detail, craftsmanship is outstanding and they're great to work with (R&J) :thumbsupsmileyanim: I sent my Bentley 6.75 for service and lume and it came back Spot On! I just sent my Ferrari 008 for service and lume as well! I'll send anything I can their way, as the quality of workmanship is fantastic, once you have the opportunity to work with the best, you have to take the opportunity!

Zig is the best and it shows in his work, we're truly blessed!

Cheers :drinks:

Rob and Jen are both great, we are lucky to have them as part of our community. I've been off the forums for a while as other priorities in life have taken precedence, but this will always be my home base @ RWG.

I've had work on dozens of super reps which are now in the hands of several members, but his attention to detail and craftsmanship is a true asset to us all. Part of my enjoyment has been the journey of sourcing all the best parts and having Rob transform a very good rep into a piece of art. I'm hoping all the members I have sold these special pieces are enjoying them.

Thanks for sharing with us Rob, I look forward to hopefully sharing some drinks with you and Jennifer later this summer if I make it out your way from San Francisco.

dave :victory:

Edited by promotersf