When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

updated finished GMTIIC AR mag project

lanikai

I got my AR crystal back from chief for my GMTIIC AR mag project..

You will all be happy to note that the Clarks 295c sub crystal is the exact crystal dimensions and lip as the GMTIIc xtal.. that would ave you the trouble of having your watch missing a crystal.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

so we start with the finished AR crystal, a clarks crystal.. UV glue.. acetone, cotton swap, Joe blow, and tweezers

zzzzgmtiicsrmag003.jpg

notice I taped the clarks crystal to get a line for gluing the mag to the ar'd crystat

but I scratched this method the existing crystal gave off too many false lines with

the light bouncing through it.

but clean the surface with alcohol do not use acetone yet.

zzzzgmtiicsrmag010.jpg

check the surface with a loupe.. just to make sure it is free from any debri

zzzzgmtiicsrmag011.jpg

Blow job just in case something settled in the last few seconds

zzzzgmtiicsrmag015.jpg

I did not use the needle as the glue would not come out.. and too much pressure..

I was concerned the pressure would pop the top off.. what a mess that would be.

so I poured some glue out and used the needle to spread it on the back of the mag.

zzzzgmtiicsrmag016.jpg

**** I could not do any more pics of the steps.. I only had a 2 minute window to set the mag and taking pics would of been a mind f**k... :lol:

I then put the crystal on top of the case with the movement and dial in the case

don't worry about the mess outside of the mag and lines of the mag, we'll clean that up later.. and lined the mag up with the date window..you have about a minute and a half, seeing it takes time to put the glue on and place the mag on the crystal.

the UV glue does "set" in a couple of minutes.. and will not budge, 2 more minutes in the sun, remember to give the mag a good healthy press to release any air bubbles from under the mag.. again don't worry about the glue overflowing from under the mag..

presto.

zzzzgmtiicsrmag020.jpg

I carried the whole case and crystal out in the sunlight for 2 minutes.. the mag will move slightly if you give it any angle to do so... warning the glue will set even without UV.. the lamp is not necessary just a little UV (even through clouds) is sufficient.

So it's best to leave it as horizontal as possible

you cannot tell by the pic above because everything is AR'd.. and uniformed.. I have to charge my dremel.. it died whist I was removing the AR..

And btw.. chiefs AR is a bear to remove.. you will need a dremel

used acetone to remove some of the glue and the point of the tweezers to etch away the glue that poured out from under the mag, after cleaning most off with acetone, it is rather soft after you rub acetone over it.. but if you go to far off base with the mag, simply remove it .. you can use the stove and a pair of tweeter to hold the crystal.. and put the crystal almost directly on the electric coils or if you have gas.. you can figure that one out..after a bit the mag will slide off the crystal, test it with a tooth pick and when it is ready it can slide off easily.

I'll have pics of the finished piece later..

AC/Lani

zzzzgmtiicsrmag027.jpg

zzzzgmtiicsrmag030.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great job man :thumbsupsmileyanim:

do you have any watch that dont has this....something special in it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

a ar job on the mag crystal :shock: you are crazy :rofl:

hey bro set the gmt in german time :D

i dont know much about this watch, is it like the genuine, or did you liked it just better with this?

and lani can you tell witch watch this is?? :whistling:

great job man :thumbsupsmileyanim:

do you have any watch that dont has this....something special in it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

a ar job on the mag crystal :shock: you are crazy :rofl:

hey bro set the gmt in german time :D

the genuine has the ar under just the mag.. that is what sets it apart.. but most people even watch smiths don't know that or don't notice.. but we do.. :lol:

This hobby would really be boring if all I did was buy reps and strap it on.. you'll evolve in the same way in time D.. at first just wearing reps is cool... but after awhile it would be just like buying a gen if that is all you did..

small projects like this make it more rewarding..some vet members live for projects of a bigger magnitude.. rather than buying a genuine.. this is what it's all about lil Bro.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I confirm that the mag is a 295c and Clarks would work perfect.. so get ready all you GMTIIC owners for chiefs next run... :1a:

At the time of the failed Mag project Clarks did not have the 295C.. fyi..

R i think for the moment i left my hand somewhere else than in the inside of one of my watches :whistling:

but later, yeah i hope so too :)

realy awsome how much work you put in every detail of a watch that you like :):good: respect :yu:

yeah i think slowly im coming in to that feelin that projects can give a owner :p

D

Good stuff Lani. I'll be watching this closely and can't wait to see the final results

I'd imagine the Chief AR makes a nice difference on the dial - even though it get's removed

you know it D.. wish Rolex would just AR the hole beast.. it is hard to remove it, knowing it looks better than the gen. :black_eye:

the best part that came out of this .. is you can just order the Clarks crystal and use it same gasket as the rep too.just take off the mag and send Chief the crystal.

I originally planned to send the crystal to Zig to attach the mag.. but decided to step up to the plate.. even if I screwed up Royally.. it's the only way to learn. and it would of cost me another trip to chief.. the cost of knowledge would of been 50 usd and the wait... and if I had done that I would not have learned that the Clarks crystal is identical to our rep xtal.. so there was a good reason the universe pushed me to do it.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Deniz.. your evolution like everyone else's will come with time.. if it's meant to be... all things will happen in time, and with this community .. that is not a problem.. :victory:

I've charged the dremel twice in the last 2 hours.. I'm on the home stretch.. about 75% done with the back.. I'm leaving the underside of the mag as the only place with AR left.. I believe the underside of the mag on the top of the crystal where the mag is glued will retain the AR also..

believe it!!!.... Chiefs AR is like sanding off paint.. :black_eye: and I'm using green rouge and a felt wheel.. even acetone would not take it off on the top.. when I was cleaning the glue on the top side with it.

it just pains me to be removing chiefs AR :cry::cryss:

but I'm starting to see the difference in the un-AR'd part of the crystal compared to the AR mag underside.. :cupidarrow:

edit add... I've decided no matter how this turns out I'm going to send another one into chief and then reattach the mag and leave it as that.. maybe the AR gods will be appeased :lol:

I've charged the dremel twice in the last 2 hours.. I'm on the home stretch.. about 75% done with the back.. I'm leaving the underside of the mag as the only place with AR left.. I believe the underside of the mag on the top of the crystal where the mag is glued will retain the AR also..

believe it!!!.... Chiefs AR is like sanding off paint.. :black_eye: and I'm using green rouge and a felt wheel.. even acetone would not take it off on the top.. when I was cleaning the glue onthe top side with it.

it just pains me to be removing chiefs AR :cry:

but I'm starting to see the difference in the un-AR'd part of the crystal compared to the AR mag underside.. :cupidarrow:

edit add... I've decided no matter how this turns out I'm going to send another one into chief and then reattach the mag and leave it as that.. maybe the AR gods will be appeased :lol:

LOL. What would we do with out Lani!?!? Sounds like you're having fun. Dying to see the end result! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

LOL. What would we do with out Lani!?!? Sounds like you're having fun. Dying to see the end result! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Fun? :nea:

. you call if fun to gouge off your AR? :cry2:

Tis a bitter sweet moment Chief.. kinda like saying no to a hot babe cause ya gotta go to work.. and CANNOT call in sick..

how's that for an analogy :yeah:

It FUC**** works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

note the discolorationwith some of the AR I left on the back of the crystal over the edge cannot be seen with the naked eye :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

zzzzgmtiicsrmag027.jpg

zzzzgmtiicsrmag030.jpg

zzzzgmtiicsrmag026.jpg

if you could imagine the natural high I'm feelin now :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :Jumpy:

BINGO!

Cheers, Lani. We finally solved this one!! :drinks:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

been along journey for this one!!!!!!

I took out the crystal and got the rest of the AR from the edges of the underside of the mag..

it didn't cause any issues as the AR directly under the Mag is AR's too and what is left on the flip side of the mag is just a plus.. I removed it past the outline of the mag.

it's most obvious when the light turns the crystal white but date is easily viewed .. I may not be able to see the time with all the glare of the crystal.. but I'll know what date it is.. :lol:

So just to sum this up, you basically just AR the crystal, not the cyclops? Then you just remove all the AR except under the cyclops? I'm assuming there is no AR on the bottom side? Very nice.

I left the AR (double sided) under the crystal and on the inside of the crystal..

so both sides of the crystal has AR under the mag

zzzzgmtiicsrmag034.jpg

zzzzgmtiicsrmag031.jpg

AC/L

Lani,

That looks really,really nice. I have said in several posts about this watch, the biggest drawback is the cyclops. For some reason, it reflects more than any of my other rolexes, genuine and rep. In certain lighting it's almost impossible to see the date.

That would be a neat side project for some of our modders, i 'm sure those of us who either don't have the time, skills, or expertise, would be more than happy to pay for and AR coated under cyclops crystal like yours. Any takers out there?

Congratulations on a job well done.

Lani,

That looks really,really nice. I have said in several posts about this watch, the biggest drawback is the cyclops. For some reason, it reflects more than any of my other rolexes, genuine and rep. In certain lighting it's almost impossible to see the date.

That would be a neat side project for some of our modders, i 'm sure those of us who either don't have the time, skills, or expertise, would be more than happy to pay for and AR coated under cyclops crystal like yours. Any takers out there?

Congratulations on a job well done.

+1

Sign me up, I don't even have the watch and I want it done :p Great work Lani :thumbsupsmileyanim:

You can order a Clarks crystal.. remove the mag.. send it into chief for AR.. that way you don't have your watch down.. the Clarks doesn't have the coronet etched at the 6 .. but unless you are looking through a loupe you don't notice it anyway..

What a coincidence. I don't think I've logged-in since the last mag run, but I just randomly decided to check to see if it was ever sorted out. Glad to see it's solved, bummer that I have a cyclops from the last run sitting around somewhere.

Thanks for your diligence.

Biggest bummer is that my hour hand is a little misaligned, hopefully I haven't jacked the movement.