When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

updated finished GMTIIC AR mag project

lanikai

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lanikai,

I must be dense - so let me see if I understand this correctly:

1. Buy clarks crystal

2. Remove cyclops, and send to Chief for AR (double sided)

3. put cyclops back on the appropriate side (top), and then remove the AR from the top. The cyclops will cover the tops AR which is under the cyclops

4. Remove AR from the bottom side EXCEPT for the area under the cyclops.

If I got that right, then I have one question. How do you remove the AR from the bottom, except for the area under the cyclops. You said that you tape it. Do you tape over the cyclops area (along the straight top and bottom lines of the cyclops for instance) and then remove. Etc. etc. If so, how did you make the curves?

Sorry for all the questions. This is an incredibly cool mod.

Best

I left the AR (double sided) under the crystal and on the inside of the crystal..

so both sides of the crystal has AR under the mag

AC/L

I believe that the idea is you coat the entire crystal, add the cyclops, then remove the AR from the outside, leaving the inside intact :)

FYI this is the COH version.. correct hand stack with eta movement..

thank you tribal.. I cannot keep it off my wrist and am having fun viewing the dial in extreme sunlight.. that's where it's most noticeable.. I think I'll give another one a shot.. had fun with this project .. :lol:

Yes it is a wrist magnet for shure.

Really a great Mod not the usual things like Crown etc.

It looks fantastic.

cskent69, on 01 February 2010 - 02:39 AM, said:

Lanikai,

I must be dense - so let me see if I understand this correctly:

1. Buy clarks crystal

2. Remove cyclops, and send to Chief for AR (double sided)

3. put cyclops back on the appropriate side (top), and then remove the AR from the top. The cyclops will cover the tops AR which is under the cyclops

4. Remove AR from the bottom side EXCEPT for the area under the cyclops.

If I got that right, then I have one question. How do you remove the AR from the bottom, except for the area under the cyclops. You said that you tape it. Do you tape over the cyclops area (along the straight top and bottom lines of the cyclops for instance) and then remove. Etc. etc. If so, how did you make the curves?

Sorry for all the questions. This is an incredibly cool mod.

Best

You can "replace" a Clarks 295c and AR your existing crystal if you really want to keep the coronet etched symbol on your GMTCII..

regardless..

remove the mag.. send it into chief for AR.. it will be double AR

glue the mag back on the proper side. (I like using the UV glue , it gives you ample time to play with the adjustment, and the UV from the sun,, even through clouds is enough .. it will bond before you expose it to UV btw... you have a bout a 2 minute window from the time you start applying the glue to the mag or crystal.. which ever you decide to place the glue)

Don't worry if you screw up on the alignment.. simply remove the mag with heat ans start over.. the heat will not damage Chiefs AR.

after the mag is bonded get some acetone and clean the top of the crystal, using a sharp implement to scrap off the glue from around the mag the acetone will have softened it considerably..then get your dremel and start removing the AR from the top of the crystal.. you will need a dremel and green or white rouge, chiefs AR is very tough.. plain solvents will not suffice.

Then do the underside.. careful around the underside of the mag taking off enough AR just beyond the "line" of the mag... you can tape it if you so choose.. I did it free hand as long as you go slow with patience it should be fine.. tape it if you don't feel confident in doing it .. I would tape one "line" at a time.. just "inside" the mag a fraction of a mm.

After your done, wash the crystal with warm water and dish soap to remove all the oils from the rouge..

IMO this is the kind of mods that make this hobby enjoyable..I had not burning desire to wear my GMTIIC.. but after completing this project.. it really makes all the difference.. in my mind anyway..

Fantastic job Lani!

I love my GMTIIc but this flaw has always bugged the crap out of me. Maybe now I can muster the courage to try to solve this issue, but just in case, for those of us that have ZERO skills - it there anyone out there that offers this type of mod service?

Chief has a run to sign up for ... now is the time to at least get the crystal AR'd the rest you can deeal with later..

order a Clarks 295c remove the mag .. using heat.. send it into Chief for AR

Your half way home..

for me the AR under the mag really makes the watch.. I cannot take my eye's off it .. it really did come out better than I thought it would.