When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Fails, Makes UPO Look Good

paragonrep

I have a UPO purchased in 2007 that has been a reliable and accurate time keeper and still is today. I also have a gen 42mm PO that I purchased a year earlier. The GEN has just stopped working. It no longer winds. I just got a response back from Omega and as it's just out of warranty, it'll cost me $460 total to get it back to my door, and I already spent $30 to get it there.

The $500 cost to service a gen that failed long before it should have just makes these amazing reps look that much better.

If ur not thinkin about repairing it,

Strip it down, gather up the parts, buy a 42mm rep and make a super-franken!

That would be a first :thumbsupsmileyanim:

evil2:

Too bad Paneraifreak (the Golf Club guy) isn't around anymore... he'd would probably take this advice. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I mentioned in another thread the cost of fully servicing a Co-Axel movement.. as just under 500 usd.. special tools etc.. it gets pricey to service the gen.. :black_eye:

Lani, I'll have to look for that post of yours - do you know what par is for the co-axial in terms of longevity? Omega used to claim all kinds of things - 10 years, then I used to hear 6-8 years between intervals, but nobody knew because at least the Omega iterations hadn't been proven yet. Now, it seems they've been around enough to get some decent numbers.

This place has inspired enough mods and tinkering, who know what I'll do next with my PO ;-)

Or, another easy way to look at it- Just tear out the Omega cal 2500 and drop in a standard ETA 2892 B)

Sorry... I couldn't resist :)

Yea... $250 for a factory fresh 2892 vs $500 to service an unreliable Omega co-axial. Kind of a no brainer.

Lani, I'll have to look for that post of yours - do you know what par is for the co-axial in terms of longevity? Omega used to claim all kinds of things - 10 years, then I used to hear 6-8 years between intervals, but nobody knew because at least the Omega iterations hadn't been proven yet. Now, it seems they've been around enough to get some decent numbers.

This place has inspired enough mods and tinkering, who know what I'll do next with my PO ;-)

Do a google search on Chuck Maddox... You'll find a wealth of info on Omega movements. Even though he was the chrono king, the search will lead you in the right direction. :)

I hear they are a nightmare to work on .. however you slice it it cost more than a Rolex 1570 or a manual wind Omega cal.861 to service.

I cannot see the upside to such a movement, keeps time.. it doesn't serve coffee.. :lol: .. like the old MG sport cars .. cool but a nightmare to work on..or so I'm told.

Hey paragon, sorry to hear about your gen! For a little more than $500 you could create another franken UPO, so I guess that says alot! But I guess you cant really leave the Co-Axial for dead.....Long live the UPO! :1a: