When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I make my bezel spin easier?

ronjohn

Hi I'm the proud new owner of a nicely modded MBW Great White 1665 - I am in the process of cosmetically aging it as I prefer a more worn look than the previous owner. ( pics coming tonight)

The bezel isn't as smooth or easy to turn as I like (it's not totally difficult) but I would like to see if I can make it spin more freely. I did take off the bezel and the ring inside it in order to bleach the bezel. It snapped back on no problem. But it turns stiffer than I would like (it was this way prior to me popping it off).

is there are secret to adjusting this at all? It's certainly not broken or anything, but compared to my 5513, it's tighter turning than I would prefer ideally.

Relative newbie here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Hi I'm the proud new owner of a nicely modded MBW Great White 1665 - I am in the process of cosmetically aging it as I prefer a more worn look than the previous owner. ( pics coming tonight)

The bezel isn't as smooth or easy to turn as I like (it's not totally difficult) but I would like to see if I can make it spin more freely. I did take off the bezel and the ring inside it in order to bleach the bezel. It snapped back on no problem. But it turns stiffer than I would like (it was this way prior to me popping it off).

is there are secret to adjusting this at all? It's certainly not broken or anything, but compared to my 5513, it's tighter turning than I would prefer ideally.

Relative newbie here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Hello ronjohn i use babe old(johnsons(clear) its clean oil, none greasy and it loves stainless steel afterwards i wipe a little all over the watch and bracelet and polish it gives a nice lusture to the watch and fixes nosy bracelets too

use only a small amount if your insert is held by glue (and is not the clip-in type!) i prefer to not remove the bezel and use a cotton bud (ear cleaning)i dip the bud in the baby oil and run it along the beze/ watch case edges and turn it a few time letting it soak in!

Edited by aeromatic

Hello ronjohn i use babe old(johnsons(clear) its clean oil, none greasy and it loves stainless steel afterwards i wipe a little all over the watch and bracelet and polish it gives a nice lusture to the watch and fixes nosy bracelets too

use only a small amount if your insert is held by glue (and is not the clip-in type!) i prefer to not remove the bezel and use a cotton bud (ear cleaning)i dip the bud in the baby oil and run it along the beze/ watch case edges and turn it a few time letting it soak in!

And it wont be bad to your skin!!!

Hello mate, I wish to retract my statement about baby oil/oils after thinking about a tread a few days ago.

Oils will attract grit and become a grinding paste. A dry teflon lube will not, the propellant will evaporate and leave a dry non sticky lubricant behind

The bezel spring on a gen and the MBW is slightly "dished" when you look at it from the side. Make sure the dish is open downward, to match the profile of the crystal retaining ring. Otherwise it's very hard to turn.

Hello mate, I wish to retract my statement about baby oil/oils after thinking about a tread a few days ago.

Oils will attract grit and become a grinding paste. A dry teflon lube will not, the propellant will evaporate and leave a dry non sticky lubricant behind

never tried that great! i found that johnsons baby oil is very fine and none sticky and none greasy ,i think they do two type the other is greasy! what was the thread name? how about using a little thread grease the copper you use on nuts and bolts that evaporates leaving a lubricant too

aeromatic

you would still have dust and grit sticking to it, copper slip is used in high temp applications like exaust studs and they should not be moving but your bezel should

google teflon spray, you get loads of results in your home areas

I think I see what you mean - when you say dish open downward - towards the case is it narrower or wider?

The bezel spring on a gen and the MBW is slightly "dished" when you look at it from the side. Make sure the dish is open downward, to match the profile of the crystal retaining ring. Otherwise it's very hard to turn.

Nanuq is correct. To make the bezel turn easier (it is designed NOT to easily turn), pry the bezel off & flatten the curve of the flat spring washer that sits between the bezel & the case. The flatter the spring washer is, the less tension it places on the underside of the bezel & the freer (easier) it turns. Ideally, the bezel should require a firm press (down) in order to move it.

Nanuq is correct. To make the bezel turn easier (it is designed NOT to easily turn), pry the bezel off & flatten the curve of the flat spring washer that sits between the bezel & the case. The flatter the spring washer is, the less tension it places on the underside of the bezel & the freer (easier) it turns. Ideally, the bezel should require a firm press (down) in order to move it.

Yes! That was the ticket. Thank you!