When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which one..1680 vs. 1665 Reds...Vietnam Case Project

indyberetta

I am about to purchase a case and other items to build another franken. I have a gen 1570 movement that is looking for a new home in a case.

I am thinking a Yuki Vietnam case. I could use a MBW, but I have worked with Yuki cases before and like them.

I want some good advice on which project to do...and why.

Which dials would you use and how close are the cases (i.e. any mods that you would do to the case for a more 1:1 look?)?

I have built a few frankens before, but not either one of these models...more on the Tudor side.

Which band would these also take...9315 or? and what endlinks?

I know a few of these questions have been answered before, but one thread with everything would help a few of us out on our holy grail watch project!

Ultimately, I would forego any red variant and just opt for the white font dial. A genuine white font dial will be easier and less expensive to procure and will make more sense for a franken project; if you're going the route of using a gen 1570, a rep or aftermarket dial just isn't doing justice to your project, and the price of red dials are cost prohibitive; they just don't make sense to use for a franken (in my opinion).

I agree with ubi, and really the only gen dial which is readily available is the 1680 white.

These are around for $300-700 in decent shape. I also wonder if you couldn't get an MBW dial w/ dial feet for the 1575 movement $65 + s&h from ETZ. I saw a GWSD dial last week w/ the Rolex feet.., but like ubi says it is a rep. how gen do you want to go?

Depending on your budget, you could get a 93150 from ETZ, 580 ends from WO990, 24-703 crown from the bay. The older 24-702 crown and tube assembly can also be found these days- around $70 for the crown and $40 or so for the rep tube. Gen bracelets are $400-600 in decent shape. 9315's are more rare and more $.

Hopefully you have a decent datewheel on your 1570 movt. Give me a PM if you want and we can discuss some other ideas which I have Indy.

If you have a 1570 movement, I would go with the yuki case, genuine dial, hands and crown/tube. i believe that you can pick your serial number with the Yuki, correct?

I would NOt use MBW hands, dial, etc. Why would you skimp on the most obvious and visible parts of your watch. You could use an ETA movement, and no one could tell unless they removed the caseback, but with a MBW dial, it's a sure bet, some WIS will correctly ID your watch as a replica.

As far as the bracelet and endlinks, 93150 w/ 580 Endlinks is the service replacement for all Submariners. If money is tight, here is where I would scrimp. Get the yuki or MBW bracelet and correct rep endlinks. Later on you can always replace the bracelet with a genuine.