When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2006 Submariner W/ Date. Expert's Opinions?

gioarmani

Greetings all! I posted this at another board and wanted to see what the members around here thought of this model. I (unfortuantely) paid almost $600 for this model at a sight I won't bother to mention. Overpriced--most definitely--but I think it looks pretty good compared to most--let me know what you think. They're shot in indirect, natural light on a little 4 megapix Cannon Powershot. I think maybe the crown guards, band & pearl bezel look better depending on what angle they're shot at? The one main thing I can't stand about this watch is where "Steelinox, Registered Swiss Made, & 73250," etc punched through to the reverse side of the watch--ruins the whole look when the clasp is open. That and I think maybe the crown is a bit too large. Let me know your hoonest opinions on this one. Thanks.

(and yes, the # on the sticker is way off)

(If the pics appear too big on certain screens, I'll include the link to the photobucket album):

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/gio...amp;media=image

113882-23252.jpg

113882-23253.jpg

113882-23254.jpg

113882-23255.jpg

113882-23256.jpg

113882-23257.jpg

113882-23258.jpg

113882-23259.jpg

113882-23260.jpg

113882-23261.jpg

113882-23262.jpg

113882-23263.jpg

113882-23264.jpg

113882-23265.jpg

Dressed up pics:

113882-23266.jpg

113882-23267.jpg

113882-23268.jpg

113882-23269.jpg

Swiss ETA 2836-2?)

113882-23270.jpg

crappy clasp: and here's where it goes from Zurich to Canal Street for me:

113882-23271.jpg

113882-23272.jpg

113882-23273.jpg

I think it's a pretty nice sub overall. I'm not a sub expert per se, but here are my observations:

Positive: Dial looks good, date mag looks good, date font looks really close, crown tube looks almost genuine to me (I thought the rep tubes were usually thinner), dial lume looks good.

Negative: CGs aint bad (in some shots they look better than in others) but aint quite right (they never are) however you could shave them down a bit yourself, rehaut might be a little shallow but it's hard to tell for sure, luminous on the hands is weak, bracelet has issues as you've noted - how are the midlinks (solid or hollow)?

What site did you buy this off of ? It's OK, you can tell us.

Edited by chieftang

swissexpert.net. A bit overpriced, but I will say their customer service is phenominal.

The mid links are hollow. How does one shave/correct the CG's? All I've got is a Dremmel & a basic watch repair kit.

If I were going to do it, and mind you I never have, I would use the smallest dremel sanding cylinder and work on it by hand. Of course you'll have to remove the crown tube first (I'd remove the movement and everything also and work on just the case. Start with 120 grit to remove the bulk of the material, and move up to finer and finer grits as you start fine tuning, and then finally polish any rough spots. Get a picture of the genuine CGs in your head and work slowly towards obtaining that shape. But remember once you remove material, it's gone forever!! So take your time.

That's the best advice I can give having never actually done it. :)

You can probably fix the bracelet clasp easily.

One thing you can do is get some really fine sand paper, and tape it to a rigid flat-surfaced object (such as a wooden ruler)...

Then sand the defects it flat with plenty of elbow grease. Afterwards you polish it with a Dremel or a polishing cloth, and voila!

The clasp is a minor detail and that is a common occurence, in my experience. The bracelet looks awesome otherwise.

Resident experts:

Is this a TWB? MBW? CWB? I am so confused with all these acronyms...

I love it. I particularly like the excellent dial, seconds hand (the luminous dot on the seconds hand is NOT on steroids), the excellent end-links (looks like it's a two piece composite end-link), the crown on the clasp, and the correct position of the date window (some have it further out--the ones with the seconds hand on steroids).

Does anyone know if any of the resident dealers has this one?

That's one very nice Sub, and the price isn't necesarily ridiculous.

The box and associated paraphernalia is worth some money, so it wouldn't be fare to compare that watch to one that comes wrapped in tape and plastic.

You can nit pick any rep to death, but for all around quality, I think it is very nice - let me ask you this, is there any doubt that you got at least one-tenth of a gen?

You should enjoy that watch, it's head and shoulders over most reps.

Bill

That's one very nice Sub, and the price isn't necesarily ridiculous.

The box and associated paraphernalia is worth some money, so it wouldn't be fare to compare that watch to one that comes wrapped in tape and plastic.

You can nit pick any rep to death, but for all around quality, I think it is very nice - let me ask you this, is there any doubt that you got at least one-tenth of a gen?

You should enjoy that watch, it's head and shoulders over most reps.

Bill

I appreciate the compliments--the box I got off eBay however, and all the other goodies I bought in a kit from this site:

http://www.buyawatch.com/kits.htm

I'm really surprised how good this watch actually is.

i thought from scam-sides comes only crap - but this one - congrats !

Not really a scammer, just a price gouger--mark 'em up, sell 'em on is what sales is about--both that site & his Asian site are pics of the real things that you actually wind up getting; he was straightforward in his emails about not bullshitting on the flaws before I ordered. I just ordered the perfect swiss sub from Josh and a datejust & GMT from Andrew, so I'll do a side by side comparison/shoot of the subs when they come in. I'm also tempted to take them both into Mayor's Jewelry (Fla's best Rolex dealer) in gen boxes to see which one they think is better. :)

Not really a scammer, just a price gouger--mark 'em up, sell 'em on is what sales is about--both that site & his Asian site are pics of the real things that you actually wind up getting; he was straightforward in his emails about not bullshitting on the flaws before I ordered.

Maybe you can mention the defect in the clasp and offer to send the clasp back when you receive a replacement. For the money you paid should come good aftersales service.

I just ordered the perfect swiss sub from Josh and a datejust & GMT from Andrew, so I'll do a side by side comparison/shoot of the subs when they come in. I'm also tempted to take them both into Mayor's Jewelry (Fla's best Rolex dealer) in gen boxes to see which one they think is better. :)

Can't wait to see the comparison shots!