When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Rolex #25-295c Submariner Crystal

HauteHippie

Take out your crystal on your rep sub and measure it. If it comes up 30.5mm, a 295 won't fit. 295C is a 29.5mm crystal. I can't tell you about MBW, but on a CN case, mine was/is 30.5. You can find a 30.5mm crystal on ebay- search under "Rolex submariner", for example. One of the guys over in Hong Kong has one, about $29 plus shipping.

Interesting. I'll have to measure my crystal when I get home...

Ubiquitous that'll help... Also, if you could provide an exact crystal thickness I would appreciate it. I wonder if our rep crystals are thinner than genuines. I need to get into an AD and look at how flush the crystal is supposed to be with the bezel. I think it should protrude a bit.

The original 295C has a groove for the gasket. All modern sub reps that I have seen use a crystal with a flat side--so I don't think it would fit. The only way to find out is to pull it.

The 295 works with the gasket and a ring on top. Like the vintage MBWs. All modern sub reps I have seen are not that complicated--their crystal is flat on the sides and is either held in place with a white gasket or glued in with UV glue.

Edited by madmex

Can you post a picture of the MBW 16610? I don't think I've seen one. I've seen the vintage ones and they're impressive when modded.

Not the best pic of the datemag totally centered. But is it me or is my datemag not big enough ?

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img29582lb5.jpg

Not the best pic of the datemag totally centered. But is it me or is my datemag not big enough ?

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img29582lb5.jpg

Very nice. Huuuge mag. Usually that's the tell-tale, and yours would completely pass that test.

So either the cyclops is really bubbly, or the rehaut is very tall, or the crystal is very thick, or a combination of all 3.

When I buy mine I hope it magnifies like that... but why keep dreaming. Is that an aftermkt sapphire, or the one that came with the watch? Just like the vintage MBWs fit the genuine plexi crystal, does the modern MBW fit the OEM sapphire the same way?

Last question--how much does something like that set one back. I saw a link to George's photo folder, but it's password protected. You can PM me if you want.

Thanks!

Very nice. Huuuge mag. Usually that's the tell-tale, and yours would completely pass that test.

So either the cyclops is really bubbly, or the rehaut is very tall, or the crystal is very thick, or a combination of all 3.

When I buy mine I hope it magnifies like that... but why keep dreaming. Is that an aftermkt sapphire, or the one that came with the watch? Just like the vintage MBWs fit the genuine plexi crystal, does the modern MBW fit the OEM sapphire the same way?

Last question--how much does something like that set one back. I saw a link to George's photo folder, but it's password protected. You can PM me if you want.

Thanks!

Thanks! Ubiquitous had helped me out a ton with many of my questions (many many thanks Ubi !). Don't know if it's photos, but when I look at pics of a gen Sub, it looks like the date mag is much biger than mine.

The crystal is the one that came with it. Never changed it. Don't know if the MBW subs can take the OEM crystals.

BTW, I measured my crystal across and it's just ever so slightly at 30mm across. I think I need to get a digital micrometer for an ccurate measuring...

That datemag looks perfect Ubi. BTW, are you able to provide a crystal thickness measurement? It may be too much to ask, I know. But I think it should be either 2.5 or 3mm

Not sure- I'd have to pop the crystal out of the watch to get an accurate measurement of it, which is something I'd rather not do since I just put it back together. However... As it sits with the watch assembled, the crystal sits a little more than a mm above the bezel's highest point at the inner edge:

114778-23036.jpg

And, if I look at it at just the right angle, the bevelled edge of the crystal appears to be quite tall (around 2mm alone).

114778-23037.jpg

Not sure- I'd have to pop the crystal out of the watch to get an accurate measurement of it, which is something I'd rather not do since I just put it back together. However... As it sits with the watch assembled, the crystal sits a little more than a mm above the bezel's highest point at the inner edge:

And, if I look at it at just the right angle, the bevelled edge of the crystal appears to be quite tall (around 2mm alone).

So if you had to guess would you say it's 3mm thick? I'm going to order a custom sapphire crystal with loose magnifier so it can be installed just right. It'll either be 2.5mm or 3mm. Unfortunately I don't have the watch that it's going into in hand so can't measure it myself. :brow: