When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Different View of CGs

unregistered

We've all seen the pics of the CGs alone, so here they are on a watch and 3D

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

The Seadbo is a great budget CG, but in terms of accuracy to a Pre-V or H~series onwards, the thickness of the CG from the top down for the CG pin is too thin. From the side it's too thin, but a nice shape.

BTW, the DSN is sort of correct for a B-series Ti CG, just a little thick

Edited by unregistered

Hi hackR, there are differences across the board, but I'll illustrate with just the 001/111 series

IMG_2307.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

One the left is a 111I and the right is a 111E

All Pre-V and H~current series 111 PAMs utilise a thicker, hump styled CG. You can identify it by the the side profile the top part having a distinctive slope and from front on, the portion with the CG Pin is quite thick. Overall the CG itself is very thick and gives the impression of substantial heft. Also on its side but looking from the base of the watch, you will see a distinct sloping gradient downwards to the body. Quite mesmerizing, for me this is a distinct tell of gen vs rep that many don't mention

For all Pre-A and A-F series 001/111 PAMs, they utilise a slightly smaller CG, with larger CG pin. These tend to have uniformly flat tops and bottoms (of different size) with no hump or slopes. Viewed top down, you'll see the area with the pin is mildly thinner and also tends to be dominated by the CG pin head. Generally these come only polished (some other models may come brushed but nothing comes to mind). Also the CG lever is brushed.

The G-series was a transition series. Some have said that you can find the thinner smaller CGs on this alongside the older/newer thicker Pre-V/H sereis style CGs. However, I must admit I used to believe this, but more so these days I've not seen a 111G with a thin old style CG and all for sale thus far with thicker new style CGs.

Hope that clarifies things. There are differences in the auto range as well, they tend to use a polished version of a thick style CG.

Also some of the early Ti models, like the 040 pictured above, have the thin style CG, but with a fairly thick CG pin area. So there are variances, just a general rule of thumb to follow.

deniz: What do you mean by rounded edges. As in, all the edges don't have a sharp edge to it. It should, all the way through on all edges be sharpish.

lani: cheers mate, just sharing the knowledge and more pics.

As always Unreg great info. And very clearly shown.

Can you explain the difference between a PreV and a PreA in your last post? or are you refferring to the 001/111 respectively?

As always Unreg great info. And very clearly shown.

Can you explain the difference between a PreV and a PreA in your last post? or are you refferring to the 001/111 respectively?

My last post was solely for the 001/111 series between A-F & H-onwards. But it applies equally for Pre-V and Pre-A. Pre-V have thick humped CGs, AFAIK Pre-A have thin polished CGs (apologies but Pre-A knowledge for me is still slightly spotty)

Thanks mate.

I guess there is no hard and fast rule on the Pre As as its widely reported Richemont used what was left over from the OP buyout. Assuming that, I assume you can end up with a lot of variations to individual models possibly even individual watches.

For example I suppose, in the same way the 26 transitional model is A/B series but was issued in the same batch as the full B series Although of the 500 26Bs 50 of them are the transitional A/B version.

For all Pre-A and A-F series 001/111 PAMs, they utilise a slightly smaller CG, with larger CG pin. These tend to have uniformly flat tops and bottoms (of different size) with no hump or slopes. Viewed top down, you'll see the area with the pin is mildly thinner and also tends to be dominated by the CG pin head. Generally these come only polished (some other models may come brushed but nothing comes to mind). Also the CG lever is brushed.

Yes, just noticed that before I was going to place my order for a toro bravo cg for my Pre-A 002 project. Pics below show a gen and you can clearly see the flat top of the cg which is very thin compared to the bottom:

Side:

311uec0.jpg

Here is a pic of the case back (gen). BTW: I would appreciate it if you could tell me a source for a pre-A 002 case back. Many thanks :thumbsupsmileyanim:

1t4nb7.jpg

this is all really cool info...and very helpful...

gotta say - it sure would be nice if there was a way to create a list by pam model number of the various crown guard characteristics and good/better/best aftermarket crown guard options (LH, Seadbo, V, DSN, Angus, etc, etc...)

i realize this is a lot of work for someone, but boy would it be handy for all those looking to mod...

R-

gotta say - it sure would be nice if there was a way to create a list by pam model number of the various crown guard characteristics and good/better/best aftermarket crown guard options (LH, Seadbo, V, DSN, Angus, etc, etc...)

i realize this is a lot of work for someone, but boy would it be handy for all those looking to mod...

R-

Your mission Rob should you choose to accept is..............:D

By the way you will self destruct 30 seconds after reading this!!!

PAM_table_v6.0.xls

R-

That would be a massive list! And IMO, less useful now since Panerai seem to have relegated the Historic line literally to history. Most of the cases coming out now are 1950 cases in 44,47,50mm so there is no differentiation in CGs. The only time CGs changed were in the earlier vintage series, the ones I still love and much much prefer.

sssurfers PAMtablev6 also has a fair amount of info on CG though not the type, so just keep in mind the general rules. I've updated the table with the more recent 2009/2010 models as well.

Edited by unregistered