When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Expectations

elwopo

Hello to all.

I received my first rep and I'm a little disappointed. There are things I don't like about it that jumped out at me.

This got me wondering what is realistic to expect, and what isn't. So I'm reaching out to the experts.

I purchased an LV Sub for around $200.

The etched crown in the crystal isn't directly over the 6. It is between minute markers 30 and 31.

The pearl on the bezel....is it supposed to be rounded or look like a painted dot?

The paint (?) in the circles on the hour markers....some of them are concave...some of them are convex.

The crown guards...where the brushed areas meet the polished...are at a different level on each guard.

Where the crown guard meets the base (where the crown sets) isn't a sharp inside corner on one side.

I know it's difficult to tell exactly without pictures (I'll be trying to figure out how to do that) but what I'm asking those with more experience is am I expecting too much?

I know that these aren't supposed to fool a jeweler. What I'm most curious about is should you be able to hand this to the average person....or are these meant to be looked at from a distance?

FYI....I have been reading this forum and another for quite a while and did do a lot of research. The item came from a dealer with an excellent reputation. Don't ask who because I'm not comfortable saying so until I get some feedback.

I appreciate any insights you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

They are excellent replicas of genuine watches.

With proper care, they should last many many years, and some a lifetime.

If you desire a closer to original look, thats where the real fun and frustration begins.

Shop around, find a genuine insert, a genuine crown, genuine parts are to be had, but you have to look for them. I found a genuine used submariner insert on Ebay for $50 that was 99% (not a single scratch).

I have attempted CG modification on 3 Subs and its not easy at all, but i believe with a little more practice, i will be able to do this and do a good job. I am getting better and i am not one bit upset at the results.

A bad job by me is still hands down less obvious that those fat guards they started with.

My MBW red waits for me to perfect this.

This watch deserves decent crown guards. (soon, my sweet little baby, soon)

Wear them for what they are or modify the hell out of them and fool your friends and coworkers.

It really isn't possible to comment without having the photos before us.

How to post photos ... open a free account with an image-hosting serice. (I use www.imagecave.com)

Upload your pics to your free album.

Copy the "EZ" code (some hosts call this the BB code)

Paste the code into your post. (Note that you can preview your post. You would be wise to do so)

Job done!

If you are using a multi-mega pixel camera, try and resize your pics to a maximum of 8 or 9 inches... otherwise they will drop off both sides of the member's monitors. This can result in good-natured sarcasm, such as receiving directions to the "preview post" button :lol:

--The first thing you have to do is keep your expectations reasonable--the flaws you describe are minor for a watch that costs 1/20 the price of an original. Plus, reps are improving dramatically--A year ago we would have killed for the lest accurate LV Jos sells today.

--Also keep in mind that even if your rep is only decent, 99.99% of the people you meet will think your watch is real--provided people believe you would plauably own a gen. If not, the flaws are irrelevent. I used to own a decent rep of a 48k VC chrono until I realized that even if it were a gen people who know me would assume it was a rep--I couldn't (and wouldn;t if I could) shell out 48k for a watch.

--If you really expect to have an outstanding rep you have to expect to spend the time and money on mods (or, if you have ubi's skill, actually build yourself a frankenwatch). I can count the high end reps that can't be made better with mods on one hand.

--the best advice I ever got as a new guy was pretty simple: "Dude, relax...it's only a watch."

It depends greatly on whether you collect for mechanical reliability, cosmetic accuracy, build quality, or for a specific model or brand, and whether you want accuracy out of the box or are willing to pay for mods. There's no standard that all reps are expected to meet on all these counts.

If you're asking specifically "don't I have a right to receive a Sub rep that has an accurate pearl and CG and no visible detail flaws for $200?" the answer is no, you don't. Being a little (or a lot) disappointed by your first replica Submariner is the rep collector's rite of passage.

Edited by kanerich

Hey elwopo - you have started two threads and not responded to either of them - what is up with that?

OK CJ....since it's obviously bothering you so much...

What's up with that is that I'm reading the responses and taking everything in. We always learn more from listening than talking.

There have been some fantastic, informative, and wise responses from members. Lancelot, Clive, Pugwash, Ubi, Archibald (GREAT last line in the response!), and Kanerich all offered insight and education that I appreciate greatly. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm sorry if the fact that I don't feel the need to post a "thanks! great answer!" post following each response bothers you. (that was sarcasm btw. I'm actually not sorry at all....but it sounded good).

The aforementioned members (that means the ones I mentioned before) have been very helpful to someone new at this. You have yet to do that on either thread. In fact....it was a mere two minutes between the time you posted your second pointless negative response to my other thread....and when you jumped on here.

If you have anything positive to impart, I'm open to it. On the other hand...if it's your new hobby to chase my a$$....that's a little odd. :yuk:

Have a good day 'eh.

P.S. Even as a "noob" I recognize and appreciate what this community has to offer. That's why I have no problem putting money down and supporting the site. Feel free to join me at any time.

Actualy your attitude in this thread has been cool. I was just wondering when you were going to post a responce. It is your attitude in the other topic that got my back up. You claimed that you have no experiance with reps yet you spew off about the quality of what you get from our dealers. This I think is hugely unfair. Many people here can speak of the quality of the replica watches we buy vs the cheap watches you buy at wallmart. You said you have you have no reference thus your statements were uncalled for.

You said you have you have no reference thus your statements were uncalled for.

Oh Geez....

I never said I had no reference. I was very clear in what I said.

You can call my attitude "cool" in a public post....but that is completely different than the PM you sent me....isn't it?

I'm not going to post it or let others see you showing your a$$. There's no point.

If you feel the need to attack and use profanity....go ahead. At the end of the day......

"It's just a watch, dude".

"What should we expect for a good rep?"

That is a fair question, but a legitimate answer may not exist.

You paid $200 for a watch. It doesn't matter what kind of watch.

What should you expect for that $200?

Perhaps a slightly different approach is in order.

Pick a mall jewelery store that sells watches, walk in, and see what $200 will buy. That is what you should expect for $200, as that is what the retail market will bear.

Does the jewelery store watch have a 25 jewel Swiss movement? Sapphire crystal? Is it made of a solid metal, or is there some plating involved?

Ignore the warranty issue as most of our better dealers will replace a defective watch.

Had you spent your $200 at the jewelery store, would the watch please you as much as the rep? More?

We have a somewhat insane tendency to compare a $200 product to an $8,000 product, feature for feature. In the cold light of reason, this makes absolutely no sense but we do it anyway because it's fun. You specified a value of $200, so let's keep things in perspective.

If you really want to know what to expect in a $200 watch, then go look at some $200 watches. It's that simple. If you find reps falling short of the offerings in the retail market, then spend your money at the mall jewelery store. I'm not trying to run you off, but I am trying to give you some perspective.

This is just a hobby and these watches are nothing more than 'grown up' toys.

I am about to buy a chain and two sprockets for my motorcycle. Those three parts are going to cost far more than $200. I fully expect to wear out / destroy that chain and sprocket set within two years. I don't care because my motorcycle is a toy and I ride it for enjoyment. If you can see these watches as 'sparkly bits' that make you smile (toys), then you will be a lot happier with this hobby.

Stop looking at rep watches as an 'heirloom' that you can pass down to your grandchildren. They aren't and they never will be.

java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_38')

;)

Bill.

@mhinagoya

That is a vety good way of putting it, we do try to compare a $200 watch with $4000 and expect them to mesure up a lot of the times, I think that a lot of the watches we get fully surpasses the price that we pay for them, case in point my railmaster, ETA works, water proof (at least for what i need ie shower swim) almost perfect looks and it makes me smile every time i wear/ look at it.

my review of my railmaster

Your post puts things in perspective.

I too had a somewhat "disapointing" rep received.

For me its the same question.

the pearl looks damaged and there is a noticable circular scratch under the bezel markers.

the scratch I can live with (and hopefully will fade through exposure to air) but the pearl looks really bad.

It should be handpicked and "loup examined", well maybe that examination took place on a monday morning. :lol:

is there somebody here who nows a source for replacement pearls?

on ofrei i cant find any.

post-1246-1157700165_thumb.jpg

I too had a somewhat "disapointing" rep received.

For me its the same question.

the pearl looks damaged and there is a noticable circular scratch under the bezel markers.

the scratch I can live with (and hopefully will fade through exposure to air) but the pearl looks really bad.

It should be handpicked and "loup examined", well maybe that examination took place on a monday morning. :lol:

is there somebody here who nows a source for replacement pearls?

on ofrei i cant find any.

Have you brought this up with your dealer, most are very good at after sales service. The only seller that has stated that every watch is hand picked is TTK, although i have never dealt with him many have had grerat service. All the dealers i have used here have given me only the best so bring your concern up with the seller you may be supprised.

Even the genuine models have flaws, check out these crown guards and note the thickness...

114978-22996.jpg

All the "flaws" you point out, are what in my view give the watch "Character" and make it special and unique...just as we are all different, so are these watches...

RG

Wow!! I bet you if one of our members happen to get a rep with this kind CG, there will be a quick chargeback :lol:

I fully agree with what The Zigmeister has mentioned... these so-called "Defects" truly make one's watch unique...one of a kind... and if you're really not satisfied with your watch, contact the dealer... maybe something can be worked out?

And for 200 bucks, one should be saying, 'Relax dude, it's only a REP'... :bleh:

oh btw, if in doubt... check out my sig below, by the master of frakenwatches, ubi... :yeah::yeah:

All the "flaws" you point out, are what in my view give the watch "Character" and make it special and unique...just as we are all different, so are these watches...

That's a good way to look at it....and I'll take that approach in the future.

It's appreciated to be able to learn from the experience of others. I'll have a less critical eye when my two new ones arrive....... :yeah: