When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m

b16a2

Thank you, and I'm glad members are still getting some use out of the review :)

I have just found my love of this watch again. I would recommend getting rubber and bracelet for it. Both give the watch a very different feel and look. I had it on rubber and now have it on the steel and it has given it a new freshness in my collection!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to post this for awhile but here are things i noticed:

1. No arrows on the G on the TAG logo

2. Tag Logo is just low quality in general. The logo is glossy and looks like cheap molded metal while the gen looks like CNCd or something XD

3. The rubber + how it's "glued" on to the bezel is lower quality on the rep but it isn't really noticeable it's not really aesthetic but the quality/precision of assembly

4. orange hue on the carlibre and the second hand is off. it's brighter on the gen

5. the spacing on the letters 500 on the 500M is more condensed in the gen, it's rather more spaced out on the rep

6. this [censored] me off, the lume markers are not aligned in the bezel... take a close look and you'll see what i mean

so if you make this watch a franken with a gen dial, especially with the decorated movement is impossible to tell if it's a gen or rep...

• 3 weeks later...

I have got to get me one of these, I also tried a gen on in goldsmith's a while back but had put the idea out of my head, damn you! Nice review though - thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been meaning to post this for awhile but here are things i noticed:

1. No arrows on the G on the TAG logo

2. Tag Logo is just low quality in general. The logo is glossy and looks like cheap molded metal while the gen looks like CNCd or something XD

3. The rubber + how it's "glued" on to the bezel is lower quality on the rep but it isn't really noticeable it's not really aesthetic but the quality/precision of assembly

4. orange hue on the carlibre and the second hand is off. it's brighter on the gen

5. the spacing on the letters 500 on the 500M is more condensed in the gen, it's rather more spaced out on the rep

6. this [censored] me off, the lume markers are not aligned in the bezel... take a close look and you'll see what i mean

so if you make this watch a franken with a gen dial, especially with the decorated movement is impossible to tell if it's a gen or rep...

Hi Guys, just FYI.

I have taken a rep to an AD and he spotted it was a rep in less then 2 seconds... I didn't even have to take out the watch from my wrist.

After he told me how he did it, it just seems so obvious to me its annoying... The number 2 on the Bezel is completely different from the Gen.. It's hard to describe, but if you compare both it's easy to spot out (just look at the picture of them side by side on this post). On the gen, the upper part of the number 2 font is parallel to the part right below it.. on the rep it's angled enough to be considered a "different font". And it sure is different, very different. This is a small detail that would be very easy to replicate perfectly... It's just so obvious, I'm sure the manufacturer did it on purpose for some unknown mysterious reason..

Why do they (the manufacturers) keep missing the easiest parts to replicate, will remain a mystery to me. The AD also told me there is no such thing as a perfect tag rep whatsoever in any of the models.. not even on the most basic formula 1 (to my disappointment).

Just thought you guys should know!

Thanks for the great review !! :notworthy:

Edited by cesarmmm

Hi Guys, just FYI.

I have taken a rep to an AD and he spotted it was a rep in less then 2 seconds... I didn't even have to take out the watch from my wrist.

After he told me how he did it, it just seems so obvious to me its annoying... The number 2 on the Bezel is completely different from the Gen.. It's hard to describe, but if you compare both it's easy to spot out (just look at the picture of them side by side on this post). On the gen, the upper part of the number 2 font is parallel to the part right below it.. on the rep it's angled enough to be considered a "different font". And it sure is different, very different. This is a small detail that would be very easy to replicate perfectly... It's just so obvious, I'm sure the manufacturer did it on purpose for some unknown mysterious reason..

Why do they (the manufacturers) keep missing the easiest parts to replicate, will remain a mystery to me. The AD also told me there is no such thing as a perfect tag rep whatsoever in any of the models.. not even on the most basic formula 1 (to my disappointment).

Just thought you guys should know!

Thanks for the great review !! :notworthy:

Nice catch. I noticed that too. The '5' in '50'on bezel seems to be off quite a bit as well. The gap between the top of the '5' and the rounded part seems much larger on the rep. Other than that though, it's pretty spot on. Could the bezel be replaced with a gen bezel? I wonder if the AD would spot the rep then?

Edited by SlipperyPete

Well you must have a good dealer who can spot it "right away". It's a fairly accurate rep, normally you should not be called out, at least not until you put it down next to a gen. But that's why we should never wear a rep to an AD. ;) Especially if he carries the brand of rep you're wearing.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got this rep and looks like they have the accurater pearlage now on the movement, at least on the one I got. So one less tell for the rep, hurray! I checked the 2 and the 5 and to be honest its not that noticeable unless you really stare at it up close with a gen next to it. i'm willing to bet that the guy who called you out just said it to see how you would react.the top part of the 5 is thinner but you have to be like 2 ft away from the watch nto notice. the top of the 2 on mine is quite parallel to the bottom of the 2.

Yep, that's right jkay and maxman :D on the pearlage.

Also on the bezel font the AD spotted from 10 feet away, I held gen next to rep and couldn't see any difference, alright, alright, through a loupe the cut of the numerals was slightly smoother, maybe we all completely missed that big 2 tell, or that AD has some sort of 6th sense?

Edited by cougar1

I think there are two version of this watch. One has an ETA and one has a Sellita movement .. the more expensive version has pearlage.

If I remember correctly.

Im pretty sure you're right...the more expensive Sellita SW200 Is decorated.

Mike

Damn, i must have gotten one hell of a deal then. The watch head was sold to me as an asian movement. I got it like new for $160.

Hi RWG, here is my first post.

I've just purchased a pre-owned 500m with A21J movement, it's on its way...

Here is the seller's pics :

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

At first glance, it seems the only fault is that a couple of the bezel screws arent quite lined up correctly.

According to him the movement is just 5-10 secs out per day...

My first rep and eager to see this beast on my wrist.

What do you think about this rep in terms of these pics ?

Edited by kyle007