When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grade A Super Luminova comparison

RWG Technical

Super Luminova production results in a small quantity of lume that is a higher grade than normal.

To qualify for the higher grade rating, the lume must glow at least 25% brighter than normal lume, and it must remain visible for 700 minutes (vs 570 minutes for normal lume).

With any lume photo's, it's hard to capture on the camera what you see with your eye. Here is an attempt, first up, charged:

On the Left - normal C3, on the Right - Grade A

1.jpg

5 minutes later

2.jpg

The difference in person is more apparent than in the photo's, but I think you can see the subtle brightness change between the two.

According to Tritec, production results in a small quantity of C3 which has brighter glow and is longer lasting than the rest, they separate this from the other stuff, add 50% to the price, and people like me buy it to test it out... :) I think it's just variability in production like you suggest.

It only comes in C3 - Yellow/Green, and they look virtually identical uncharged.

As for the Rubberclad type, I think this can replace any C3 lumed dial, it just depends on how important glow is to you and if you want to pay the extra cost.

This is the first dial I have done, and the difference in person is quite noticeable.

According to Tritec, production results in a small quantity of C3 which has brighter glow and is longer lasting than the rest, they separate this from the other stuff, add 50% to the price, and people like me buy it to test it out... :) I think it's just variability in production like you suggest.

How strange!

I wonder if they are researching why this happens, and then working out how to apply it to all their lume! :)

Cool, thanks for the informative post! :)

How exactly does the production produce some 'better' than others? Just variability of the production process?

Do you stock this is all colours? ;):D

It's called "binning" like Intel and AMD do with microprocessors. Normal manufacturing results in variability at the output... Kind of accidental, but they take the opportunity to collect the better stuff and sell it at a huge mark up.

I'll stick with normal C3 myself... I've never been disappointed by it.

Thanks for pics, is there any improvement on the application in daylight in terms of the lume marker heights etc. Does it make it easier for you to ensure those correct heights?

Guess this is R's?

Looks great, Z!...

can't wait to see it in person!!... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

great info and pix!...

question - kinda off topic - some watches are said to have a large quantity of lume with multiple applications of superlume applied...does this increase luminosity or duration?...

thanks!...

R-

The Grade A is no different than the normal lume when it comes to application, it feels and looks and goes on the same...

question - kinda off topic - some watches are said to have a large quantity of lume with multiple applications of superlume applied...does this increase luminosity or duration?...

Short answer, No, call it marketing hype, or BS - which is what it really is...multiple layers make no difference to the glow, the final thickness makes the difference, all "layers" add is increase the time spend doing the job, and the chance of error.

Lume glow depends on two things:

1. Thickness

2. Width

The more lume you apply, the thicker or wider it is, the brighter the glow. If this thickness is achieved with 1 or 101 coats makes ZERO difference to the glow, given the same quantity of lume, you will have EXACTLY the same glow.

A dial silkscreener would not apply lume in multiple layers, the chance of error goes up each time you place the screen on the dial, and there is no valid reason to do it, it will not increase the glow.

Lume is translucent, so if you apply lume and then a reflective coat on top of it, you have just nullified the layer below. It needs to be one continuous layer of homogenous lume.

Tritec literature spells and explains this out in detail, it is a known fact, but if your marketing a watch and want to make it stand out from the rest, you embellish the truth and people will buy into it hook, line and sinker...

Interesting thread Zig. Not sure what im taking away from it though........ :pardon: Are we saying that Grade-A is better than C3? Is there a major price difference between the two (and is it worth the difference?). In respect to the application of lume I think the Helson Shark Diver demonstrates this well. If you look at the dial the lume (C3 Superluminova) is applied quite thinly, but the markers are HUGE...and as a result this puppy GLOWS like a torch, catches ANY light it can, and glows for hourrrrsssssss on end.......Image is unedited.

IMG_3456.jpg

@ Osrep

The specs on Grade A show 25% + improvement in glow, and a visible time of 700 minutes (normal C3 lasts 570 minutes).

In person, the difference is noticeable between the Grade A and the normal lume.

Is it worth it?

I only picked up 1 gram to test and play with, costwise it's 50% more than normal lume. I guess if you want the brightest of all lume, and it's important to you, then it's probably worth it...but lume has always been a personal choice, some love it, others couldn't care.

I bought it because I was curious about how it would compare to what I normall stock.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...