When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Tube Problems

omgiv

I am trying to thread a new case tube into an old 5513 MBW case and it doesn't want to go in smoothly. I have the proper 3mm X .35 tap for 6mm tubes and it goes in freely. I cleaned up all of the glue and ran the tap through several times. I can run the tap through with just my fingers, so I don't think that it is too tight. I have a clark tube and a genuine tube but both will only go in a couple of turns. I am afraid to force it because I don't want to strip the threads or break the tube. I was under the assumption that the hole was good if the tap would go in freely. Can anyone help because I have a couple of cases that I want to do this with. Thanks!!!

I normally have this problem and I use the cousins case tubes. They seem uncomfortably tight but I just use a bit of grease on the threads and take it slowly, back it out half a turn when it gets really tight and try again. When it bottoms out unwind it, which it will do easily, clean off all the grease and apply some locktite. It will go in a lot easier the second time.

The tube should screw most of the way into the case with only light finger pressure. If you have to force it, something is wrong. It sounds like either the case tubes are wrong or your tap is. Assuming you are using the proper Rolex tap, be sure you are running the tap all the way through the side of the case. Afterwards, make sure the hole & threads are scrupulously clean.

Thanks Freddy. The tune in the picture is a genuine tube just opened. The tap is also new bought from Casker here in the US. I did run the tap until it bottomed out. I thought that I had cleaned the threads and hole but will try again. I might just try another tap and see what happens. When you say most of the way, would you say 75%? Thanks!!!

Yes, gen tubes fit tight. I installed a new gen tube in a gen case last night and it was tight. It was a 5.3mm tube and was missing the silver gasket, so I used some non-hardening gasket sealer around the threads before I installed. This helps seal the tube, and is easy to remove if necessary.

Not sure if this is relevant, but Rolex makes some oversized tubes for those cases where the threading had to be drilled out & re-tapped. In these cases, the hole ends up slightly larger than it began, which then necessitates an oversized tube. These oversized tubes are identified (on the package) as being oversized, but I wonder if someone might be repacking these oversized parts as standard parts since they are obviously more valuable. Or, maybe, it was labeled as such & you missed it? :g:

Did you buy the gen tubes from a Rolex-trained watchmaker with a parts account or an experienced (online) seller with a long history of (successful) Rolex parts sales?

I have never seen the packaging, but I had a similar problem with a 700 Triplock tube last year & was told about these oversized tubes then. I searched the TZ archives & I found numerous references to them from reliable sources. Can you post a good, clear macro pic of the gen packaging you received the part in?

That is a good idea. i just used my micrometer on the tube I have and another genuine tube that I opened at they both measured 3.01mm. I don't have any aftermarket tubes right now (the one I have is stripped), but should have some next week. My other tap should arrive then as well. If they both measure the same and the tap is the same, I guess the case (no pun intended) is solved.